Real ID

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 17, 2019
Attempted to obtain my Real ID in Pa. twice. The first time I didn’t have the proper birth certificate. Mine was a Certificate of Registration. So $20 later I received my real birth certificate. Went to DMV the second time and apparently my Marriage Certificate that was issued in Maryland isn’t acceptable because it states “ in accordance with” on there referring to the district court that issued it. So I’m no closer to obtaining it. Oh yeah, when I do get my real ID they will renew my drivers license for another 4 years of which I need to pay again!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Simple solution- get a US passport. It is good for 10 years and can be used as ID for ALL purposes. Keep your current license until it expires.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I had the opposite experience in California last winter. My DL expired in December, I checked in October and the first DMV appt I could get was in February. I asked about the new ID thing and was told that I'd need to come back with my passport, blah, blah, blah. Oh, great, I get to do the DMV shuffle all over again. When my new license arrived, it's a "new ID" with some kind of a golden bear on it. Just weird.

Mar 18, 2019
Looking at the Maryland DMV's requirements for a REAL ID, it looks like if you get a passport in your married name than your marriage certificate is not required at all to get a REAL ID. Your marriage certificate is only required if you don't have a passport and your current name does not match your birth certificate name.

Jan 6, 2015
Looking at the Maryland DMV's requirements for a REAL ID, it looks like if you get a passport in your married name than your marriage certificate is not required at all to get a REAL ID. Your marriage certificate is only required if you don't have a passport and your current name does not match your birth certificate name.
For clarification, Mary Ann lives in Pennsylvania . . .

Mar 18, 2019
For clarification, Mary Ann lives in Pennsylvania . . .
My bad, I meant Pennsylvania DMV's requirements... I looked up the PA DMV's requirements then went down a rabbit hole looking at what department issues Maryland marriage certificates and then got confused when I typed my response...

Aug 17, 2019
Thanks for all your input. I considered the passport but it needs renewed every ten years and that costs more than the Real ID. Calling Maryland on Monday to see if I can fix this

Aug 17, 2019
My frustration stems from the fact I was there 10 days ago and the marriage certificate was valid and then today the rules changed. Two trips to the DMV and no results.

Aug 17, 2019
Something doesn't sound right. Does the marriage certificate have a raised seal or official stamp from the county of issue? If it is an official document and not a copy, you may want to travel to a different license registrar in PA to see if they will accept it.
Exactly what I’m going to do! Seems nobody can get their facts straight. And SS accepted it for a name change. It’s legal!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you ask for a supervisor to review your marriage certificate? This is what the PA DMV SAYS:

Proof of all legal name changes: Certified marriage certificate, court order, or divorce decree issued by your county’s family court.

If your certificate was a certified marriage certificate, perhaps the employee erred.