Rapid Rewards from SWA

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 18, 2019
I have flown Southwest Airlines many times including 2016, 2017, 2018 and thought that the Rapid Rewards would automatically be credited but that is not the case. I appealed to the CEO of SWA by mail and received an email a couple of weeks later saying the missing rewards could not be credited even though they supposedly do not expire. Apparently because I did not give my Rapid Rewards account numbers when I made the reservations (and was not asked to give them) I lost out. Any help in restoring these rewards will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Do you log into your SW account in order to book your flights? Normally if your membership number is somehow missing from your reservation most airlines give you a very limited period after your flight to correct the issue. But SW is correct it is up to you to make sure all your details are in your reservation and are correct.

Sep 20, 2015
If you didn't enter the frequent flyer number, there is nothing you can do this late in the game. If you caught the error at the time of flying, they may have back credited the points. Did you buy the tickets through the SW website? It does ask for your RR number when you book on SW, and if you didn't, you could have entered it on their website after the fact, when you checked in, or even at the gate.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Since you have already contacted the CEO and he has settled the issue I do not see what we can do for you. We always recommend starting with the lowest CS with your complaint or concern and work your way up the chain. This gives several people an opportunity to assist you. But once you go directly to the CEO you have shut off all other avenues when he says No the answer is now No.
Sorry this happened, but every airline follows nearly identical rules when it comes to loyalty programs.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Request Past Flight Points
https://www.southwest.com/myaccount/rapid-rewards/manage/request-past-points
You can request past flight points for up to 12 months after your flight. To claim points for a past flight, simply log into your account and choose the Manage tab within My Rapid Rewards. Find the Request past points module and enter your record locator (confirmation number) from your reservation. Points will be deposited into your account after verification of your flight information which may take up to 5 days.

Here is how to reclaim missing points from Southwest. They are extremely generous as they allow 12 months of missing flights.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It should be automatically credited if you put your rewards number on your reservation when you book. If you didn’t do that you needed to contact them as soon as you returned and asked for the points to be applied.

As JVille stated, if the CEO had told you no, then there isn’t anything we can do- you’ll need to take it as a learning experience. But at least use the link she posted to get any flights you have taken within the past 12 months credited.

Feb 3, 2019
Apparently because I did not give my Rapid Rewards account numbers when I made the reservations (and was not asked to give them) I lost out.
You state you thought the Rapid Rewards would be credited automatically, but I'm curious about how you expected Southwest to know which account to credit.

There's a field in the booking information form for "RAPID REWARDS / ACCT#." It autopopulates with my RR# if I'm logged in on the Southwest website, but even if I'm not, I can still enter that info directly.

It's unfortunate you didn't get the credit you expected, but this is not Southwest's fault - any more than it's United's fault I accidentally let miles expire last fall. This is a good reminder for everyone to always confirm your frequent flyer number is associated with your reservation, verify you received the proper credit after your travel, and request corrections right away if there are any discrepancies.

Jun 27, 2017
OP said, "I appealed to the CEO of SWA by mail and received an email a couple of weeks later saying the missing rewards could not be credited even though they supposedly do not expire." Unfortunately, SW Rapid Rewards DO EXPIRE after 24 months if there is no qualifying earning activity. From Southwest Rapid Rewards info: Points will remain active as long as you have at least one qualifying earning activity every 24 months.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
OP said, "I appealed to the CEO of SWA by mail and received an email a couple of weeks later saying the missing rewards could not be credited even though they supposedly do not expire." Unfortunately, SW Rapid Rewards DO EXPIRE after 24 months if there is no qualifying earning activity. From Southwest Rapid Rewards info: Points will remain active as long as you have at least one qualifying earning activity every 24 months.
Let this be a lesson to infrequent flyers ... if you don't read and understand all the rules, if you don't keep track of your account, you're doomed to be disappointed. They're called "Rapid Rewards" for a reason ... frequent travellers build up their points and use them. Leaving a loyalty program account dormant will cause you trouble every time. And there's very little sympathy from the airline or hotel ... because they're really only interested in true frequent travellers.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
He didn’t leave it dormant though- he never put his Rewards number in when he booked the tickets. He flew as late as 2018 so he was under the two years of the points going dormant.

He now knows he needs to add his number when he books a ticket.

Aug 9, 2017
Many recommendations to add the number when you book the ticket, but an alternative and perhaps better solution is to be certain the RR number is in your profile. If it is, when you book through SW, it is automatically filled in.

Jun 18, 2019
I am the person that initiated the question about restoring the rewards. As best as I recall, most of the reservations were made by telephone and not by computer but I don't think the operators ever asked me if I had a Rapid Rewards account. My comment about SWA's linking my name/address, etc. to the rewards account was based on how the computer age should be working but I guess my 55+ years of computer experience failed me, so to speak. Thanks to everyone who made comments and suggestions.

May 26, 2018
I don’t usually make reservations over the phone but airlines, hotels and rental car agencies will rarely - if ever - ask you if you have a rewards number. It’s the same when doing it online. The rewards number is a plus for you, not them. Do it online next time and you’ll be able to see your rewards status immediately AND you’ll have a receipt.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Or just log into your account after the purchase and under your account choose the My Trips tab.
You can then request special services, input your RR or Known Traveller No. or make any number of changes.