• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Racism Remarks and Poor Customer Service

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You have to choose the fare class you want and as shown on the screen print from Expedia, the class tells you what is and isn't included. Check the screen print in my post above. The OP may have been in a hurry to book the ticket and didn't pay attention to what the fare class said. Sometimes people book the least expensive fare, not understanding what they bought.
Neil, I would remove the word "Sometimes" in your last sentence and replace it with "Most people, especially the inexperienced",

Sep 12, 2018
One practical action that comes to mind for future travels (your uncle) would be to print cards (4x5) that say something like this:
Please note that I am an inexperienced traveler with Limited English Proficiency. My primary language is XXXXXXXXXXX​
Any extra assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated. My name is YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY​
These could be handed out at each touch point so at least the provider understands his limitations up front and might then be better inclined to help . . .
I was traveling in Japan (outside of big cities) and the concierge at the hotel wrote down in characters for me - "Please help her return to the train station" and some other phrases, I never had to use that one but it was nice to have in case I got lost. I did use my paper stating I am a vegetarian a lot though. So it is a good suggestion for those with limited English or when traveling to other areas where English isn't as widespread.

Feb 11, 2018
It is not appropriate to the speaker or a third party to tell someone when they should or should not be offended. And regardless of anyone's opinion of the offensiveness of the comment, it was not professional for the employee to use a familiar term to address a customer.

That deserves an apology from United.
I disagree. While a person may prefer "sir" or madam," these are not terms that many younger people use. Pal, buddy and, yes, amigo, are quire common forms of address. Overly familiar? A tad disrespectful? Perhaps. But it sure wasn't "honey," "sweetheart," "Gramps," or a racial slur. Let's keep in mind that some of us are a bit more touchy than others and take offense at things that others wouldn't even notice. No apology necessary. Personally, I don't like being called by my first name. But I keep it to myself because the intent is not nefarious.

Last edited:

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I disagree. While a person may prefer "sir" or madam," these are not terms that many younger people use. Pal, buddy and, yes, amigo, are quire common forms of address. Overly familiar? A tad disrespectful? Perhaps. But it sure wasn't "honey," "sweetheart," "Gramps," or a racial slur. Let's keep in mind that some of us are a bit more touchy than others and take offense at things that others wouldn't even notice. No apology necessary. Personally, I don't like being called by my first name. But I keep it to myself because the intent is not nefarious.
I wonder why the OP didn't politely tell the PDX agent she didn't understand the word "amigo" and ask him what it means. The agent might have explained it and might possibly have apologized for being too familiar. End of story. No disrespect to the OP (I don't walk in her shoes) but methinks the lady doth protest too much.

As for the baggage problem, it seems to me that many more Hawaii bound passengers on that flight had to be re-routed, probably on the same connection as the uncle's. If so, it's possible that he was the first to check in with that particular SFO agent, who then was able to treat the other stranded passengers correctly.