Qatar Airways Open ticket

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 25, 2021

I had abusiness class flight booked in june 2020 with Qatar Airways to fly from the Uk to Bangkok in january 2021 which they cancelled and offered me various options. I chose "Hold on to your ticket : Keep your ticket open and use it when you are ready with our extended 2 years ticket validity, this applies for fully unutilized tickets"

Qatar Airway customer care are tryiing to downgrade my ticket not allowing me access to the lounges or choose my seat.

I believe with a open ticket there should be no extra charge for the same flight.

I bought the ticket at a good price plus Q miles which will now have expired so in a refund they say i would only get the cash back.

I,ve had a phone call and sent 2 emails to them with them just giving me a poor excuse in reply.

Am i in the right or should i except the refund?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are given a credit for the amount you paid for your ticket. That’s all. No lounge access or choosing seats- it’s a credit for what you paid. If you are booking a new ticket that costs more then your old one - you pay the difference in price. That’s how the credits work. If that’s not acceptable- you should take the refund.

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
You are given a credit for the amount you paid for your ticket. That’s all. No lounge access or choosing seats- it’s a credit for what you paid. If you are booking a new ticket that costs more then your old one - you pay the difference in price. That’s how the credits work. If that’s not acceptable- you should take the refund.
@Neil Maley If OP opts for the refund, will he/she lose the miles used to book the ticket since they are now expired?

And OP: By "downgrade," do you mean they are trying to give you an economy ticket in lieu of your business class ticket or that they are just not allowing seat selection/lounge access?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We need to know the details of the "downgrade" vs the details of what you purchased.

You state that there should be "no extra charge for the same flight" but you aren't taking the same flight. Your flight was cancelled, it no longer exists. So that is not relevant to your situation. You book a flight for $100, it is cancelled and you get a 2-year $100 credit towards a new flight. When you book the new flight, you pay the fare prevailing at that time, it could be $200or $85. What the airlines have offered is that no change/cancel fees will apply, but you always pay the fare stated at the time you rebook. I would definitely contact them and request that your expired miles be reinstated ... many airlines and hotels are doing that as a gesture of good will. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Today at 1:49 AM

I had abusiness class flight booked in june 2020 with Qatar Airways to fly from the Uk to Bangkok in january 2021 which they cancelled and offered me various options. I chose "Hold on to your ticket : Keep your ticket open and use it when you are ready with our extended 2 years ticket validity, this applies for fully unutilized tickets"

Qatar Airway customer care are tryiing to downgrade my ticket not allowing me access to the lounges or choose my seat.

I believe with a open ticket there should be no extra charge for the same flight.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Sadly as the OP has noticed that the value of the ticket has changed. So what could essentially be a Business Class ticket booked last year can now be an Economy Class ticket. At the very least the OP could ask to be rebooked in Premium Economy if that product is available on the routing. While not as comfortable as Business Class it sure beats Economy Class. Also the OP could see if the airline could offer bonus miles to sweeten the deal! Also the airline is not obligated to extend lounge benefits or any other benefits. The OP could ask for a refund and chose to fly another carrier or retain the value and pay the difference to fly in Business Class which may be the best option or decide to fly in Economy Class.

Remember an airline is not obligated to give the exact product if it is now going for $1000 more. There are many reasons why an airline cannot afford to offer the exact same product especially if they are loosing money. I would be happy to retain the value of my ticket without any change fees. Me personally I would pay the difference to fly Business Class if that was the only option and maybe Qatar can offer you a discount for doing so or allow you to combine Frequent Flier Miles and Cash if the OP has miles to do so.

Another option may be for the OP to look at rebooking his ticket under an AA Codeshare and sometimes these flights may be less expensive or book via a Business Class Consolidator with the money that has been refunded. Premium Economy is another option and the OP could sign up for Priority Pass or the AMEX Plat Card for that matter to get lounge access. There are times when its best to take the refund and start over which I did when my Mother's Airline Ticket to Europe was cancelled due to Thomas Cook shutting down. I rebooked her on Norwegian Nonstop flight for $100 less and it included her bags, meals and entertainment .

Last edited: