QATAR AIRLINES GROUND STAFF HELD HAND BAGGAGE IN RANSOM CLAIMING EXCESS LAUGGAGE FEES WITH NO LEGAL RIGHT

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 14, 2019
I was on holidays in Turkey. I bought a return all in one ticket from Melbourne to Antalya with Qatar airways. On my return 4 monts ago I boarded my fligt from Antalya (all baggages checked inn to pick up at final destination) flew fron Antalya to Istanbul (as a transit passenger) to board Qatar plane. I was going to print mt boarding pass but ran out of charge so i went to qatar check in counter to get my boarding pass. they asked me to check in my baggage i said i was a transit passenger and my baggages were already checked inn. They wanted to see the checked in labels which i showed them. I was allowed 30kg but i had 45kg so i had to pay for that excess which i did, at the counter they said i had to pay again, i said why because i paid and baggage checked inn to my final destination. They said they will check there system but be prepared, there system showed as no fees to paid. I went to boarding gate and when time to board the plane the same ground staff noticed my 6 kg hand baggage and my hand bad. they said i told them i had no baggage, i said i dint this is my legal right 6kg . They demanded money for it being excess weight. I refused. They insulted me, accused me of lying to the extent of threating to board me off the plane, demanding payment. I pleaded with them that i was a transit passenger all baggages were accounted for and if i had the money i would pay instead of the embrassement and the scene they were causing for no legal reason. they did not listen and held my baggage ransom in return for money which i did not have and boarded the plane without it. For the past 4 months now i have been in contact with customer relation of qatar in returning my bag which they have left at lost and found in Istanbul. First they claimed i left it there, then they claimed i sneaked in the baggage and lastly they have claimed i checked in 30kg but had 45kg and my preference was not to pay the access and the baggage i had was that extra 15kg. I emailed them that information they have is incorrect and proof of the label that shows i checked in n ot 30 but 45kg but they will not listen. I also said even if that was the case i was still allowed the 6 kg as hand baggage. They refuse to reply to me. for past month i have sent them email nearly every day but they will not reply. I have 1 month left until the security department where my bag is will dispose of my bag. The only conditions i can get my bag is either i have to go and collect it myself which means a return flight to collect it or give someone i know in Turkey an authority to collect for me which i dont know anyone as it was a holiday trip not a home town visit and the only other way is the company which left it there being qatar to collect and return it to me. I have very important things in this bag that a priceless, like beloggings of my recently passed away brother. they have casued me stress and i want my bag back. They had no right to do this to me. They know in actual fact that did wrong by me and returning my bag i guess means acceptance of liability and responsibility. i dont want anything but my bag from them. Please help me.

Feb 14, 2019
Yes I could have, but regardless the fact was I was a transit passenger and my baggage’s were all dealt with. They had no right to question my baggaging. They treated the matter as if I was checking inn from Istanbul. They will not listen to any explanation and the understanding they have gathered from the investigation of the situation is all wrong. 3 different allegations were made that they relied on to refuse the return of my bag and do completely ignore proof I have sent as proof of information they relied on was not correct. I have sent them over 20 emails to every possible departments for the resolution of this matter (since 11/11/2019) I have had been replied to 5 times with all the 5 are exactly the same reply of refusing to return my bag. There last email sent to me was on the 11th January 2019 since ignoring many emails I sent. They will not rely at all. I need to get in touch with a more higher authorised person other than the different customer care departments in the hope that maybe I can reason with them, but I can’t find any contact details of anyone besides the ones I have already gone through . If anyone knows of any other way have to re assess this matter taking regards the proof. I have less than a month before my bag is disposed off.

Sep 19, 2015
Could Turkish airlines have charged too little for the excess baggage? As Qatar was the most significant carrier, perhaps there was a problem there with communications? Not that this helps you with the situation now.

The problem is now that the bag is in Istanbul -- I have to think about this.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an awful story, I'm so sorry you're going through this. First, this is very blunt advice: your rambling emails are not likely to be read. I had to read your narrative twice to grasp the situation, and I'm not sure that I understand it all. It would be very helpful to your case to create a concise, chronological list of what happened.

For example: your full name as it appears on your passport, REGARDING: Confirmation number XYXYX, return tix AUS-MSP purchased 1-1-86, e-tix number 888888888, flight 222 AUD-MMM on 3-6-86 connecting with flight 888 MMM-XYA.
State that you checked luggage without issue at XYZ airport. Your return was booked for 1-2-86, flight numbers 123 YZS-OWU. Have someone read your email and tell you what it says, then you'll know you're telling the complete story.

You can take it from there. An airline executive reading your email would likely discard it, so it's your job to tell your story as clearly as possible. These people are super-busy and if they don't follow your story, they'll just set you aside "for later". Be very polite and appreciative. You are asking for their help. Good luck and please let us know what transpires.

Feb 14, 2019
The case is well known to Qatar with a reference number and all relevant details. The problem is they refuse to accept liability giving me 3 different allegations which all 3 are not as they believe to be. I emailed them proof as to the information they were relied to be incorrect, is when they completely stopped replyimg to my emails. I had been contact with them since 11th November 2018 regarding this matter, so they are very familiar with the case but like I said refuse returning my bag and stopped all replies.

Feb 16, 2018
Have you contacted the airport lost and found in Istanbul to see if you could arrange return of your bag via a shipper like DHL? You may have to pay for this service, but ultimately if the choice is losing the contents forever or getting it back, it sounds like it would be the best possibility to recover your irreplaceable items.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The case is well known to Qatar with a reference number and all relevant details. The problem is they refuse to accept liability giving me 3 different allegations which all 3 are not as they believe to be. I emailed them proof as to the information they were relied to be incorrect, is when they completely stopped replyimg to my emails. I had been contact with them since 11th November 2018 regarding this matter, so they are very familiar with the case but like I said refuse returning my bag and stopped all replies.
My advice applies to your writing to our Company Contacts as Neil suggested earlier. We have a formula that is very effective, but it needs to be followed correctly.

Feb 14, 2019
I have contacted the department that has my bag to make arrangements myself for the return but unfortunately, due there strict policy, they gave 3 alternatives. 1st was to collect is myself, which would cost me return ticket there and back, 2nd to give authority to someone in turkey to pick up the bag, which I don’t know of anyone in a country I went on holidays and the 3rd they will release the bag to a Qatar Airline staff as they were the ones that handed the bag to them. They do not do shipping out. So Qatar made it impossible for the return of my bag. I have even offered to pay Qatar the excess fees regardless of not being liable to do so, but they don’t even want the fees anymore or was it ever an option they gave me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Again- stop dealing with the department and use our company contacts and start writing to the Executives. Weihlac gave you the contacts and the procedure in post 2.

If you opt not to do this, we’ll have to close the thread because you aren’t following the process we advise.