Purchased Business, seated in Main Cabin

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 6, 2018
I purchased two RT business class PHL-PRG through expedia on 2/11/2018. It was booked on Iberia, but AA was the actual plane. The flight was on Sept 1, 2018, so business seats were available when I booked. When our boarding passes were issued at the airport counter, we were seated in Main cabin and told there was no room for us in Business. Same thing on the return. I called all three parties customer service to no avail. Each blamed the other. I am new to this site and would appreciate some coaching on the steps I should follow. I tried disputing with Capital One Visa where I charged the tickets--they refunded the $15 expedia fee and closed my case due to my not submitting a "second option" and a "refund voucher" .

Sep 19, 2015
Can you attach your confirmation and block out personal info? You may be entitled to EU downgrade compensation on the return from Prague

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They might have changed the plane type you were originally scheduled for. This happens a lot especially when you book very early. If the flights don’t sell out, they might swap a smaller plane that doesn’t have as many first class seats.

They do owe you a refund of the price difference and as Christina said maybe EU compensation. Please provide the information Christina requested.

Nov 6, 2018
Do you want to see the boarding passes that indicate MAIN cabin? THe CAK to PHL flight on AA has no business class. I'm not fighting that. It's the international leg that was the problem. THanks so much for answering my post!

Nov 6, 2018
Do you want to see the boarding passes that indicate MAIN cabin? THe CAK to PHL flight on AA has no business class. I'm not fighting that. It's the international leg that was the problem. THanks so much for answering my post!
I attached what you asked for.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I purchased two RT business class PHL-PRG through expedia on 2/11/2018. It was booked on Iberia, but AA was the actual plane. The flight was on Sept 1, 2018, so business seats were available when I booked. When our boarding passes were issued at the airport counter, we were seated in Main cabin and told there was no room for us in Business. Same thing on the return. I called all three parties customer service to no avail. Each blamed the other. I am new to this site and would appreciate some coaching on the steps I should follow. I tried disputing with Capital One Visa where I charged the tickets--they refunded the $15 expedia fee and closed my case due to my not submitting a "second option" and a "refund voucher" .
Why did you book through Expedia rather than directly with AA?

Sep 19, 2015
You definitely have discounted business fares— the reason I asked to see the confirmation is that I once bought a fare that was economy but instant upgrade if available— which meant I would have been the first to be downgraded. “I” class is business on Iberia and American so there is no pretending that it is a code share mistake.

It seems that you are eligible for EU downgrade compensation for the return flight— which is payment of 75percent of the fare from Prague to Phil. AA is not subject to EU 261 rules on the outbound.

AA is responsible for the downgrade compensation as they operated the flight.

They should also refund part of the outgoing fare.

Nov 6, 2018
You definitely have discounted business fares— the reason I asked to see the confirmation is that I once bought a fare that was economy but instant upgrade if available— which meant I would have been the first to be downgraded. “I” class is business on Iberia and American so there is no pretending that it is a code share mistake.

It seems that you are eligible for EU downgrade compensation for the return flight— which is payment of 75percent of the fare from Prague to Phil. AA is not subject to EU 261 rules on the outbound.

AA is responsible for the downgrade compensation as they operated the flight.

They should also refund part of the outgoing fare.

Nov 6, 2018
So, what do I do from here? I saw the instructions on this site to email. Do I send an explanatory email to the "primary Contact" the VP of Customer Service and include a filled out EU261 form? This site said to ask for the amount to be refunded. What is a reasonable request? The difference between Main and Business Fare + a penalty from the EU261 for the return?

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I'm pretty sure it was least expensive flight I found. It was back in Feb so Im not positive--maybe that IBeria flight didn't show up on the AA site?
So you used Expedia to book a flight on Iberia, which does not fly from/to your destination, and flew on AA planes. That is why you are having such problems. AA has terrible customer service (consistently #1 for complaint numbers for ALL entities on this site); when you add Expedia and Iberia to the mix (neither known for good CS) you have a mess.
In the future, use any site for flight search; then book directly with the actual airline you are flying on after setting up your own account with the airline.

Nov 6, 2018
I had trip insurance through Travel Insured. They say I am not entitled to anything from them for being downgraded. Does that sound right? I trusted what they told me when I called, but after reading some of the forum posts, now I wonder.

Nov 6, 2018
So you used Expedia to book a flight on Iberia, which does not fly from/to your destination, and flew on AA planes. That is why you are having such problems. AA has terrible customer service (consistently #1 for complaint numbers for ALL entities on this site); when you add Expedia and Iberia to the mix (neither known for good CS) you have a mess.
In the future, use any site for flight search; then book directly with the actual airline you are flying on after setting up your own account with the airline.
Yes, I have a mess indeed. I won't use Expedia again. Any advice on how to fix my mistake?

Sep 19, 2015
For the eu 261 claim for Prague to Phil — email.

AA.ECClaims@aa.com and request EU 261/2004 downgrade compensation of 75 percent of the fare from Prague to Philadelphia.

The EU complaint stops the airline from doing funny math and saying oh the unrestrained walk up economy fare was the same as the restricted business class fare —

AA EU compensation departments has to be the one contacted other wise they may not properly follow the rules.

For the outbound I would write to AA execs — they messed this up.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yes, I have a mess indeed. I won't use Expedia again. Any advice on how to fix my mistake?
The advice applies to ALL OTA booking agencies-not just Expedia, but Orbitz, Kayak, etc, etc, esp for airline reservations. Anything booked prepaid should be made directly with the airline, hotel, auto rental site. I will rarely book a non-prepaid auto rental through an OTA because sometimes they have real deals, but airline tickets are not worth the risk for what is often a small saving.

Follow the advice Neil and Christina give above. Who actually charged your credit card?
Use the contacts for whoever has your money. You will probably get finger pointing from all 3. Also, put in for EU261 involuntary downgrade fee.
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/expedia/
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-airlines/
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/iberia-airlines/

Nov 6, 2018
That is correct. Travel insurance doesn’t cover things like this.
Thanks N
For the eu 261 claim for Prague to Phil — email.

AA.ECClaims@aa.com and request EU 261/2004 downgrade compensation of 75 percent of the fare from Prague to Philadelphia.

The EU complaint stops the airline from doing funny math and saying oh the unrestrained walk up economy fare was the same as the restricted business class fare —

AA EU compensation departments has to be the one contacted other wise they may not properly follow the rules.

For the outbound I would write to AA execs — they messed this up.
Thank you both Neil and Christina! WIsh I had found you before wasting 2 months with Capital One.

Nov 6, 2018
The advice applies to ALL OTA booking agencies-not just Expedia, but Orbitz, Kayak, etc, etc, esp for airline reservations. Anything booked prepaid should be made directly with the airline, hotel, auto rental site. I will rarely book a non-prepaid auto rental through an OTA because sometimes they have real deals, but airline tickets are not worth the risk for what is often a small saving.

Follow the advice Neil and Christina give above. Who actually charged your credit card?
Use the contacts for whoever has your money. You will probably get finger pointing from all 3. Also, put in for EU261 involuntary downgrade fee.
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/expedia/
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-airlines/
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/iberia-airlines/
Iberia the vendor that shows on my credit card. Now I'm confused. Christina said to ask AA for the refund because it was their plane.