Promotional mail from Verizon for my daughter who does not live with me

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 1, 2019
Several months ago I began receiving mail at my Mechanicsburg, PA address from a Verizon office at P.O. Box 952, Marlton, NJ 08053—0952, addressed to my daughter (Kristin Williams). Since she does not live with me, and in fact has never lived with me at this address, I returned the mail with a letter advising Verizon of that fact, and requesting that they stop sending mail to her at my address.
They ignored my request and continued to send stuff addressed to Kristin at my address. I tried writing “Addressee unknown; return to sender” on the mail, and putting it back into my mailbox. That did not work either. I went to the Post Office and explained my problem, but they said there was nothing they could do.
I realize that this is not a serious problem, but it is irritating to me. If you folks would be so kind as to contact Verizon and get them to stop sending this unwanted mail, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Aug 1, 2019
We don’t contact Verizon for you. We tell you how to advocate for yourself.

Here are our company contacts for Verizon:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/verizon-wireless/

This is how you should write to resolve this:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Do you have your daughters address? If you do you can put in a change of address for her name at your address and they’ll forward it for 6 months
Thanks. I'll try what you suggest. BTW, it's not Verizon Wireless, it's the arm of Verizon that deals with TV, phone, and internet.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanks. I'll try what you suggest. BTW, it's not Verizon Wireless, it's the arm of Verizon that deals with TV, phone, and internet.
It's my considered opinion that life is too short to try to solve a problem like this. These big companies and their marketing sub-contractors don't give a rip who they irritate and probably won't cooperate with any request. The mail will continue "forever". Into the recycle bin it goes. I know that's an awful concept for many of us, but I seriously don't think there's anything you can do without hours and hours of labor. Please don't file a "change of address" for your daughter as someone suggested earlier, that could really mess up her life. She's never lived at your address, so that's not a good option to solve this.

I've heard of people doing all kinds of crazy things, like stockpiling a bushel basket full of the mail and dumping it off at some corporate office. Might make them feel better for a day, but the mail will keep on arriving in the mailbox.

Sep 1, 2018
but the mail will keep on arriving in the mailbox.
Ain't that the truth? We've lived in our house for 20 years. The woman who owned it before us had her mother living here before the mother died. We got a letter about a month ago for the deceased mother, who died 20+ years ago! We routinely get a couple pieces of junk mail a year for her. smh

Dwill66, I hope you take the advice to just throw it out. That's why it's called junk mail...it's junk.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I understand the OPs annoyance but sometimes we need to look at the amount of time we put into trying to change something that’s annoying when the easiest thing to do is just throw it out.

My father in law made my wife and his granddaughters crazy when my mother in law died contacting magazine subscriptions to stop them from being delivered to the house. It was too painful for him to see mail coming for her. Every time one came someone had the task of contacting the company and stopping the subscription or changing it to one of them for the remainder of the subscription time.

Feb 21, 2018
My daughter hasn't lived at my house for nearly six years...and only lived at my house using her maiden name. She got married nine months ago while living in MD.

Yesterday she got a piece of junk mail delivered to my house...with her married name. Amazing...but not worth my or her time to deal with.

My family is the only one that has ever lived at my address...we had the house built. I get stuff with the correct mailing address and someone else's name randomly. If it's a good coupon, I use it. The rest just gets tossed.

Feb 12, 2019
I bought my condo 5 years ago. There was at least a previous owner and a previous renter. Nothing I've done has been able to stop the mail from the previous people who lived here. Not even when an influx of mail came in for them while I was out of town for a week and filled my box, which the person who delivered the mail shutdown saying I no longer lived there since it was beyond full, and then I had to resubmit the names of the people who live there to get mail delivery again. Even after all that and explicitly filling out that I only i live there, I still consistently get mail addressed to the previous owner/renters.

All that to say...you're likely just going to have to get used to throwing it out. I've long since stopped trying anything else - throwing it away takes way less of my time.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I am now getting mail from the IRS! addressed to a business at our address.
Googling the name turns up franchise opportunities but going to the FL Corp website does not turn up the named entity as a FL corp, so no help there.
I continue to ‘return to sender’ with note stating ‘no such entity at this address’ but it doesn’t seem to have any effect.
Not my problem or worry but it is annoying.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We own a two family house and still get mail for tenants we had 25 years ago.

The information might have been bought from
a marketing list which might indicate the daughter somehow years ago used that address for something, even if she never lived there.

Jan 6, 2015
What I have been told by our P.O. is that if you hand these to the person behind the counter, they will mark them "Refused" and then send them back. Not sure if RTS works anymore. The USPS may just throw it away . . .

Feb 11, 2018
Ain't that the truth? We've lived in our house for 20 years. The woman who owned it before us had her mother living here before the mother died. We got a letter about a month ago for the deceased mother, who died 20+ years ago! We routinely get a couple pieces of junk mail a year for her. smh

Dwill66, I hope you take the advice to just throw it out. That's why it's called junk mail...it's junk.
And we get occasional pieces of mail addressed to my father-in-law, who died 30 years ago! He never lived with us, and we've moved a couple of times since then. I just toss them. If whoever is sending the stuff wants to waste money doing this, I really don't care. Another piece of trash to add to the bin.

Jun 27, 2017
If you think getting junk mail for another person is annoying, just take a Viking Cruise! Our last Viking Cruise was in 2014, and we STILL get oodles of full-color brochures in all different sizes, along with letters and postcards. We did put a stop to the endless emails but have been unable to stop the ongoing paper train that results in the delivery of some promotional material at least once a week. Who knows how many trees have been sacrificed for Viking's efforts to get us aboard one of their ships.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I still get mail for my son who left this earth over 20 yrs ago. The silly mom in me sees each piece of mail as a hello from him. At one point he got a Federal Jury Summons to serve. I gleefully filled it out on his behalf and asked them to have him come see me if he contacted them. That’s was a great day :)

It’s all perception and life is just too short to worry about junk mail for other family members or anyone else. Let it go! The selling of mailing lists is big business and getting a name removed is nearly impossible.
Now I really need to go check my mail for another hello but they are few and far between these days!

PS I get those Viking pieces too!