Problems with selling on ebay

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 25, 2021
I've sold on ebay for several months with only small issues that were easily resolved between the buyer and I however on March 16, 2021 I had the following problem with a buyer. I was never contacted about a problem with the order until I contacted ebay about a problem with a buyer. 18 days after the item was delivered I was contacted by the buyer and they wanted to know what I was going to do about the problem with the order, I responded with I would do nothing since 18 days had elapsed with no contact no report of any problem. Shortly thereafter the buyer contacted ebay and requested a refund I had no say in the refund process and I was constantly in contact with the reps at customer service they each provided me a different answer to the question why do I not get a say in the refund process? how is it that only one side is heard the buyer requested a refund on April 16 2021 the case was opened and closed on April 16 2021 with the buyer getting a full refund. Which is OK. However on that same date the buyer was contacted by ebay and advised since I had not responded to any messages they could keep the item. I have read the selling policies on ebay and found no such statements in their return policy that states they are entitled to a full refund including shipping but they can keep the item. To me this is theft plain and simple by a business that is entrusted to protect both the buyer and sellers equally. This was no ebays property to give away without my consent.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Your next step should be to escalate this VIA EMAIL using the contacts in the following link:

eBay
do not include attachments - - offer instead to send them upon request (the might be "undeliverable" otherwise)
be sure to start at the lowest level and that you give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

When you're seeking a favorable response, it's important to avoid the use of inflammatory words. The facts should
be presented in a concise manner that can be easily read in under 5 minutes, followed by a polite, reasonable request.

Accordingly, do not accuse them of theft . . .

Skippy

May 30, 2019
Were there any messages in your eBay Inbox -- perhaps something that was missed at first?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
I have found over the years no matter how correct the seller is the whole system is leaning toward the buyer. Many times in almost criminal ways.

I guess I have been lucky.
I have had 2 ‘iffy’ Buyers over my years of selling. I am a sporadic seller, NOT high volume. BUT, I am a proven Seller and eBay does make money from my sales.
~one apparently didn’t like the condition of the designer bag she bought (fully described and pictured as well USED) so she BEAT it up some more and then complained and returned it. before/after pics proved my case.
~the other bought a set of six high end dinner cups and saucers, NIB and then claimed they were ‘not as described’ as she contended they were espresso cups. When they got back to me one cup was broken in 1/2, at which point she claimed she had never even opened the boxes (so how did she see their size ?)
eBay refunded them both but let me keep the money I earned as they agreed I had done nothing wrong. It cost eBay in both cases.
SO, they do treat Sellers decently if you document all aspects of your sale and your items ( lots of pictures) and I have learned to show actual sizes with a measurement showing in the pics. Use a ruler or tape measure.

Dec 19, 2014
We tried eBay once to sell items. Got burned, so no more. Fortunately, we only ate like $20, but sadly, I have come to the conclusion that selling on eBay is NOT for the faint of heart, nor is it for individuals.

Sep 18, 2018
However on that same date the buyer was contacted by ebay and advised since I had not responded to any messages they could keep the item.
The issue appears to be that you violated eBay's return policy for sellers, which says:

When a buyer requests a return for item not as described reasons, the seller must respond within the return request and offer a solution to the buyer's issue.

[and]

If the purchase was completed on eBay.com, you must meet the requirements specified in this policy, including taking action within the required time frames,

That seems to be the answer as to why eBay has sided so heavily with the buyer. When you didn't reply, eBay had to step in and correct the situation to fulfill its Money Back Guarantee. The buyer might not have played fair with the way they responded initially about the return, but you cut them off once you became aware of the issue.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
The issue appears to be that you violated eBay's return policy for sellers, which says:

That seems to be the answer as to why eBay has sided so heavily with the buyer. When you didn't reply, eBay had to step in and correct the situation to fulfill its Money Back Guarantee. The buyer might not have played fair with the way they responded initially about the return, but you cut them off once you became aware of the issue.
Funny thing is that eBay lets you say ‘No Refunds’ but they will still entertain refunds.
If you offer Refunds - I believe it’s either a choice of 30 or 60 days required, so 18 days did fit into that formula..
eBay will then afford you higher status as a Seller and include you in that money-back guarantee in that scenario.
@Chris in NC - I have always found the eBay Selling process easy, but I don’t like the Etsy platform.
My BFF LOVES etsy selling. Diff strokes, etc.

Reactions: jsn55