Problems with Airbnb.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 12, 2019
Has anyone noticed that often when you book a place on Airbnb, the price listed is not what you pay. For example on my last booking the place was offered at $77 a night. I clicked on the place and then it took me to a page where it shows 5nights X $77 and a service fee of $41 and a cleaning fee of $39. It also lists what the total is. Then I clicked on continue and the nightly rate goes 5 nights X $86 and the total changes. To me this is bait and switch. Various Airbnb customer service reps and supervisors have given me different reasons for this. Here are the different explanations: it is a technology glitch, a beta trial for different cancellation policies, the conversion of Euros to USD, smart pricing settings by the host, and special offers by the host. None of these answers make sense. It also seems to me their personnel do not have a clue what is going on there. Has anyone else noticed this? I have friends who have reported similar problems.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It’s not bait and switch, it’s dynamic pricing. What you price on a Tuesday might not be the same as Wednesday . That’s no different than an airline ticket or hotel. Prices are not guaranteed until booked.

Clear your cookies- the computer remembers your last quote and prices can go up every time you reprice. You basically are doing this yourself- you are creating false interest which causes the price to go up in many instances. Just book it.

Apr 9, 2019
Neil is correct. Some Air BnB hosts allow smart pricing, and the computer algorithm will move the price, although I don't know with what frequency. It is true that Air BnB's service fee to the guest ( the host also gets stuck with one that comes out of the nightly rate) and cleaning fee ( when a host charges one) are additional to the rate you see.

Jul 12, 2019
This change is not occurring on a day to day basis, it happens between when you click on the property and get the total with service fee and cleaning fee and then the final step where you pay.

Feb 3, 2019
I've seen the listed price per night change once Airbnb knows what my grand total with all fees will be and averages it back out across all the nights of my stay. For instance, the search results for my most recent three-night trip initially showed the unit I rented as $77/night, but after Airbnb calculated and added in fees, it could tell me my final actual cost would be $90/night.

I've never had the actual grand total for the trip change unexpectedly, though.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So you are not booking - you keep pricing. The information in post 2 is causing it. Every time you do this it is assuming there is much interest in this property and the price can go up.

Don’t keep playing with it- if you see a price you like, book. All prices are per night before fees and cleaning costs are added in.

That is not what happened. My screenshots show no such cancellation policy option option. Also, the comment about the site is thinking there is interest brings the price up. I did not play around with it. I tried to book first time around. Also, do you know any company that offers something, gives you a total and then you go to book and it raises the price. Don't you find this rather scammy?

Apr 10, 2017
Here is a link to the listing:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/336240...-07-23&guests=1&adults=1&check_out=2019-07-28

Below is copied and pasted from the listing:

$86
Discounted price:$77
per night
/ night

Dates
Press the down arrow key to interact with the calendar and select a date. Press the question mark key to get the keyboard shortcuts for changing dates.
07/23/2019

Press the down arrow key to interact with the calendar and select a date. Press the question mark key to get the keyboard shortcuts for changing dates.
07/28/2019
Guests
1 guest

Content loaded.Cancellation policy

Cancellation policy

Non-Refundable
$488

Moderate
$536

Show price details

Total
$488
Book
You won’t be charged yet

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m not understanding
Here is a link to the listing:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/33624012?source_impression_id=p3_1563019070_0fKJQqFZh/eSqEzl&check_in=2019-07-23&guests=1&adults=1&check_out=2019-07-28

Below is copied and pasted from the listing:

$86
Discounted price:$77
per night
/ night

Dates
07/23/2019

07/28/2019
Guests
1 guest

Content loaded.Cancellation policy

Cancellation policy

Non-Refundable
$488

Moderate
$536

Show price details

Total
$488
Book
You won’t be charged yet
The price difference you show is the difference between a non refundable price and a price that has a more liberal cancellation policy.

We have company contacts for Airbnb. I would suggest you go directly to them to explain it.

That is what you are seeing today at this time but it is not what I experienced if you refer back to my screenshots. This has happened to me many times and to others I have spoken to dating back months. This new cancellation option is brand new. I questioned the host of a booking I just did because the same thing happened and here is his response: Hello Jeff I do apologise for the inconvenience of the pricing. I was also concerned about the same issue. I have sent an email to all the executives at Airbnb with no response from any of them. You should really investigate. I am a big fan of the platform but this seems very scammy. Also, Airbnb personnel are horrible. Uniformed and bad communication skills.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
That is what you are seeing today at this time but it is not what I experienced if you refer back to my screenshots. This has happened to me many times and to others I have spoken to dating back months. This new cancellation option is brand new. I questioned the host of a booking I just did because the same thing happened and here is his response: Hello Jeff I do apologise for the inconvenience of the pricing. I was also concerned about the same issue. I have sent an email to all the executives at Airbnb with no response from any of them. You should really investigate. I am a big fan of the platform but this seems very scammy. Also, Airbnb personnel are horrible. Uniformed and bad communication skills.
You have other options for rentals. Vote with your feet.
Airbnb is in business to make money (as in take your money).

Apr 9, 2019
You can see the two different options at the bottom of your two screenshots . One offers free cancellation within 48 hours, one does not. Air BnB had been beta testing that option in certain markets for awhile, before rolling it out. Owners have the option to participate or not. I disagree that Air BnB does anything scammy. As others have said, vote with your feet.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Airbnb has now climbed to second on Elliott.com cases/complaints YTD, second only to the perennial runaway #1 American Airlines. Airbnb has overtaken major companies like United, ATT, Expedia & PayPal showing they are doing something (wrong) to earn their #2 position.

Apr 9, 2019
Unlike American Airlines or any other company that gets complaints, Air BnB is mainly a platform for I believe over a million world-wide listings. Complaints usually involve hosts and guests, not Air BnB employees. Many seem to involve guests who are looking for a unique booking, but then find something about the booking they don't like. Safety and cleanliness issues are something to be concerned about, but all listings have reviews, unless they are absolutely brand new, and guests can check out the listings before booking, and also have the option of contacting the owner/ host with questions before booking. When there are scores of great reviews, and a guest comes to this forum to complain, one has to wonder where the problem lies.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Unlike American Airlines or any other company that gets complaints, Air BnB is mainly a platform for I believe over a million world-wide listings. Complaints usually involve hosts and guests, not Air BnB employees. Many seem to involve guests who are looking for a unique booking, but then find something about the booking they don't like. Safety and cleanliness issues are something to be concerned about, but all listings have reviews, unless they are absolutely brand new, and guests can check out the listings before booking, and also have the option of contacting the owner/ host with questions before booking. When there are scores of great reviews, and a guest comes to this forum to complain, one has to wonder where the problem lies.
Many of the Airbnb cases here have to do with the inadequate Airbnb responses to problems with listings. Airbnb is not just "mainly a platform for I believe over a million world-wide listings."

According to Forbes Airbnb is worth $38 BILLION. Airbnb makes billions for listing properties that may not be what is advertised and posters here get little help in resolving their problems.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greats...to-be-worth-at-least-38-billion/#539c62682741