Problems on a Royal Caribbean cruise

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The Letter Writer does not seem to have a complaint against RCCL. They only speak to the insurance process. Would be nice if the LW would clarify some questions we have.

That would only be the case if he received overlapping payment. Then of course he would be expected to turn the money over. Under these facts, it seems like his medical is paying and his secondary picked up the slack. All works as it should. What should he care which insurance company picks up the tab. My experience has been that folks who take that position are usually trying to create a scenario where they receive double payment.
just because you don't pursue a legal remedy does not mean you do not have standing to do so . . . the issue was if he had standing and he does.

Sep 6, 2015
I don't understand the posters who are trying to get one-off limited travel insurance to pay their medical bills which are, themselves, covered by their Blue Cross or whatever sort of health care coverage they have. It's double-dipping. If I buy travel insurance and I break my ankle at the resort's pool, I expect travel insurance to cover the remainder of my hotel bill because I have to go home. I do not expect the travel insurance to cover my orthopedic surgeon's bill - that's why I have health insurance.
A lot depends on whether the injury was the fault of the cruise line or hotel or whatever. If they are at fault, they are supposed to cover all of your related expenses. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that if you use your own health insurance and you later receive a settlement to cover those bills (whether you sued or they offered a settlement so you wouldn't), your insurance company is entitled to the money. You can only keep it if it is for pain and suffering. Of course, if your insurance company believes another should at least be sharing the burden with them, they will go after those funds on their own

Sep 6, 2015
I'm in the middle of a travel insurance issue myself, after hubby became ill on a ship, and there were no facilities. Luckily, it was not life threatening and we could wait until we arrived in Port Everglades for him to get significant treatment.

The way this should work: You see the Dr on board when you first become ill or become injured. The Dr decides if you can be treated on board. If you can, the Dr treats you, you may have to modify your activities, but can hopefully enjoy part of your vacation. Depending on the insurance you purchased, you may need to submit to your regular health insurance first, and the travel insurance MAY reimburse you for the days you were confined to your room if the Dr confined you to your room.

If the Dr decides the injured or ill person cannot be treated on board, the ship may be turned around or diverted, or an airlift may even be ordered. It sounds as though this was not needed for your wife's situation.

Travel insurance then picks up the pieces to take care of what medical bills your regular insurance did not cover, airfare to get you back to where you started since you had to change your plans, and reimburses you for the days remaining in your cruise you were not able to enjoy. While you did not enjoy the sea days on the way to Aruba, it sounds as though the situation was not so serious that the Dr ordered the ship turned around. Therefore, you would not be reimbursed those days unless your wife was confined to her quarters and the medical chart noted that, and your particular insurance policy specifically said it paid if the insured was confined for medical reasons.

You still ate for those couple of days on board, the room steward still provided cabin services, and you still owe port fees for your port of origin as well as Aruba where you disembarked the ship. Each policy states what it pays out in the case of trip interruption, which is what you had. Your trip was interrupted and you were medically required to return home for treatment. What does your policy state it reimburse?

Lastly, I don't believe they are a "Sweetheart Insurer" for the cruise line, but rather the cruise line offers a base line policy so that all passengers are offered travel insurance. It is a bulk policy, certainly, and because of that, the costs (and coverage) are fairly low when compared to travel insurance purchased privately from a broker - particularly for some age groups.

We are all thrilled that you DID purchase travel insurance, since otherwise you would be here asking for help to try to get the cruise line to refund the cost of the cruise, etc.
I really liked your explanation. You were clear and concise and kept an encouraging, empathetic tone. Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A lot depends on whether the injury was the fault of the cruise line or hotel or whatever. If they are at fault, they are supposed to cover all of your related expenses. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that if you use your own health insurance and you later receive a settlement to cover those bills (whether you sued or they offered a settlement so you wouldn't), your insurance company is entitled to the money. You can only keep it if it is for pain and suffering. Of course, if your insurance company believes another should at least be sharing the burden with them, they will go after those funds on their own
That is true. Almost anyone who has gotten norovirus on a ship can tell you the ship doesn't charge them for the doctor visits.

My wife once tripped over a kid that was laying on the stairs on an NCL cruise and fell down the steps tearing something in her ankle. The cruise line didn't charge anything for the X-rays or bandaging of her foot.

It does depend on how an injury or illness occurred.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
My friend and I took an independent tour of Antigua on a Celebrity cruise. She stepped on something in the sand during a beach stop and cut her bare foot (minor puncture wound). As soon as we returned to the ship later in the day we went straight to the clinic. The doctor decided stitches were not needed and gave her a tetanus shot. To our surprise, no charge. It was only my friend's 2nd cruise with them and my 3rd and we had a mid-level Concierge cabin. So the no-charge certainly wasn't due to our "status" or our "good looks and charm"! Either the doc wasn't busy, or it was thanks to our tablemates who have 25+ Celebrity cruises under their belt that we met on a previous cruise. They weren't with us in the clinic, so perhaps our record was flagged as their friends.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
just because you don't pursue a legal remedy does not mean you do not have standing to do so . . . the issue was if he had standing and he does.
He would have no damages, though so the effect is the same (assuming he just sought expenses paid on his behalf, etc). His belief that it is not fair for his health insurance to pay seems insufficient to show he has any real interest there. Obv if he wanted to proceed against the cruiseline on a negligence theory or his travel insurance for covered expenses he actually paid.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My friend and I took an independent tour of Antigua on a Celebrity cruise. She stepped on something in the sand during a beach stop and cut her bare foot (minor puncture wound). As soon as we returned to the ship later in the day we went straight to the clinic. The doctor decided stitches were not needed and gave her a tetanus shot. To our surprise, no charge. It was only my friend's 2nd cruise with them and my 3rd and we had a mid-level Concierge cabin. So the no-charge certainly wasn't due to our "status" or our "good looks and charm"! Either the doc wasn't busy, or it was thanks to our tablemates who have 25+ Celebrity cruises under their belt that we met on a previous cruise. They weren't with us in the clinic, so perhaps our record was flagged as their friends.
I never thought about it, but if a cruise line thinks they could possibly be at fault, they'll nurse you without charge. Since this was an independent tour, I have to think your good looks & charm did it. (I got upgraded once on a NWA fllight out of Mpls by telling the gate agent he should upgrade me based on my ... good looks. He cracked up, and 2B was mine.)

Mar 27, 2016
I may have taken a stupid pill, but I can't quite grasp your story. Here's what you posted: I could use your help twisting the arm of AOH (Transamerica Casualty Insurance Co.), the sweetheart insurer for RCI (Royal Carribean Cruise Line) Travel Protection Program. Our cruise started Nov. 2 2015 and ended 5 hours later when my wife was injured and spent the rest of the time in bed, in pain (and is still in on-going pain). We were at sea and couldn't get off the ship for 3 days until we reached Aruba. Everything was prorated at 8/11, which is pathetic, but we understand their rationale. The rub is there was no reimbursement for insurance coverage

Please clarify for me: how did your wife injure herself, what AOH is exactly, why you couldn't get off the ship for 3 days, what insurance coverage you expected reimbursement for, and what is prorated at 8/11?
I thought the same thing!