Problem with Pension Benefits Administrator

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 14, 2019
I terminated employment after 19 years with a large company in 1998. I am eligible for a pension, small, but critical for my financial ability to retire. I have used this large company's web site in the past to verify some numbers, but in the past 6 months they have completely remodeled their site. I now must reregister as a first time user. I am now doing final preparations for retirement. Their pension site gives me 'Authentication Error. No record found. Please try again' (it's not even asking for password at this point. I called their 800 number on April 25. They said they'd fix and contact me in 10 business days (which they didn't do). I called on May 9, and they gave me a login name and password, which did not work. They gave me a reference number and said they'd call me in 48 hours (a Saturday). I waited 96 hours (after no callback) and again asked for resolution. They 'have not heard back' from their 'Administrative People'. I am at my wit's end. No amount of escalation seems to do anything. I am utterly at their mercy, as there is no other way to contact them (no physical address). I am set to meet with my financial planner this Friday (May 17), and this former employer's information is the only piece missing. The pension benefits call center is in Texas. The large company's headquarters is in New York. Both Texas and New York have Pension Rights Offices. My state (Utah) does not. I'm stuck and don't know where to turn.

Mar 23, 2015
Couple of ideas: I am a gov contractor and I work with a lot of L3 folks and L3 is a HUGE complicated beast to work with. So, first, I'd suggest you simply call a former L3 colleage and ask what credentials they're using to log into the new site. That might help to inform you what it's looking for. Second, who are you calling for assistance? HR? Your former corporate IT Help Desk? Make sure you're calling the right place. I know that L3 is huge and L3 in Greenville, for example is basically a completely separate entity from L3 in Salt Lake so is it possible you're talking to and getting information from the "wrong" division of L3 and maybe that's why the info you're being given isn't working? First and foremost, though, I'd just start with a close former colleague who IS able to get into the site--it might be that simple.. Good Luck!

May 14, 2019
Good suggestions. Thank you. I don't have a current L3 colleague (I haven't worked there in 20 years). I do know a retired person from there (same division as me) and will call her. I have been calling the L3 Benefits Center (which serves all of L3), who are entirely non-empowered to solve IT problems. I cannot find any direct access to IT Help Desk for L3 Benefits Center. I do have a name to escalate to, but he conveniently seems to be 'out of office' whenever I've called. Where I have made progress was to call the local L3 (in SLC, where I worked) office and leave a message for HR. I did get a live person to call me back, her name, and her phone number. This is a big win, but I haven't heard back from her since I spoke with her on Tuesday. I asked for a paper 'Benefit Commencement Package' in writing from the Benefits Center. This is supposed the take the boiler-plate '10 days'. But at the very least I'll have my pension info in writing (fingers crossed).

Thank you for your time and your detailed suggestions. I'll contact my retired friend and see how she manages her pension. And, once I get the Benefits Commencement Pkg, I'll have what I need for my financial planner.

I've worked in IT for over 20 years and if I were this incompetent I'd have been fired long ago.

Mar 23, 2015
Good suggestions. Thank you. I don't have a current L3 colleague (I haven't worked there in 20 years).
Thank you for your time and your detailed suggestions. I'll contact my retired friend and see how she manages her pension. And, once I get the Benefits Commencement Pkg, I'll have what I need for my financial planner.
Yikes If only I could read... or math... Somehow I got the idea you'd just retired after 19 years (I guess because the issue was recent) and completely glossed over the "1998"! Good Luck!! It'll work out. I *hope* in time for your meeting with your financial planner!

May 14, 2019
Thanks for the replies and eyes on this post. L-3 finally resolved the login problem. They flat-out told me that many people had the same problem ("It wasn't you, Ms. N*") and that I was the "guinea pig" for getting this resolved.