Print my own check

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 4, 2019
A vacation flight was cancelled in October 2018 due to weather. I had insurance and filed a claim. After three months the e company, "TRIP MATE" sent me an email stating they wanted me to go to their WEB site and print my settlement check, on regular computer paper. Is this normal? It seems to me that a bank would really question a self printed check. Do you have any advice on this issue?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well this is something new. Since I don’t even go to a bank anymore to deposit checks- I simply take a picture of the check on my phone- this wouldn’t bother me. But I can see why you would be concerned.

They don’t offer the option of having a check mailed?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
THIS is hilarious! I think they're getting a little carried away with technology. But we print out our own vouchers and concert tix with readable-bar codes, so why not a check? I'd go for it and see what happens. Keep a VERY clear audit trail in case it's dishonored so you can ask them for a real check, one that they put in an envelope and mail to you. Please let us know what happens.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I asked my wife to see if she can get an answer. She is the insurance guru in our family.

Perhaps someone from TripMate can address this directly. If someone isn’t computer savvy, or who may not have a computer-how are they supposed to be paid?

Feb 4, 2019
Well this is something new. Since I don’t even go to a bank anymore to deposit checks- I simply take a picture of the check on my phone- this wouldn’t bother me. But I can see why you would be concerned.

They don’t offer the option of having a check mailed?
No. They offer no options.

Feb 4, 2019
My wife’s rep. said that it isn’t mandatory to print a check. Call the company and tell them you have no printer and you need a check mailed to them. If they refuse contact the state insurance department on your state and file a complaint.
Thank you. I will try that.

Feb 4, 2019
Maybe also just ask your bank too what they will/will not do with such a check.
If I can't get the company to send me a check, I guess I will have to print it out, but I will check with my bank before trying to deposit it. Even then, I will wait a month to see if it cleared.