Princess Cruise Line refuse to grant insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 27, 2018
I am writing to complain about Princess Cruise Line and their insurance company, Aon Insurance, a Florida-based company. I believe these companies have acted unethically and in bad faith.

Last year, I booked a $ 22,000, 28-day cruise for myself, my son Robert and his wife Sylvia. As I am 88-years old, I took out insurance. Unfortunately, I trusted the Princess reputation.

About three months before the cruise, I had symptoms of ovarian cancer. The day after my third biopsy, I cancelled the trip. Princess would issue no refund, even though this was still months before departure date. They told me I cancelled too late, by one day. I was shocked to discover that Princess would not cover cancellation insurance. After much to-do doctor’s notes, lawyer’s letters, etc. Princess granted future cruise credit in lieu of a refund. It wasn’t what I wanted, but I assumed that at least, I could use the credit for future cruises.

When my health stabilized, I decided to use the credit to book an Alaska cruise for my four children and their spouses. At that point, Princess informed me the credit would only cover me, Robert and Sylvia, and not my other children. After much to-do again, they allowed me to use some of the credit toward this trip, but there was still $12,599 remaining out of the original expenditure as the credit only covered basic room charges, so I also paid additional fees to take that trip.

Last month, I decided to use the remaining $12,599 to take my grandchildren on a cruise, but when I went to book, Princess told me that only $1,000 of that remaining money belonged to me. The rest belonged to my son, Robert and his wife, Sylvia. Since I had booked and paid ALL of the charges for Robert and Sylvia for the original 28-day cruise, plus the additional charges for the Alaska cruise, and since Robert and Sylvia sent a notarized letter to the costumers service that they can’t travel and want me to have the credit, I cannot see how Princess can justify withholding the remaining portion from me.

At 88 years of age and with limited funds, the huge bill for the trip with my grandchildren is a wrong and unfair burden. Princess Customer Relations people say they have done enough for us and refuse to speak to me or my family about this issue.

At this point, I cannot use the credit at all, and it will revert to Princess. Robert has called to ask Princess to give me the credit that should have been awarded to me in the first place, but his calls have done no good. I feel that Princess has wrongly taken $12,000 of my money, that the Princess insurance policy is a costly sham, and that the company has acted in very bad faith.

Hopefully you can help us get Princess to do the right thing and credit me so we can use the money they rightfully owe us.

Thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, you only own what was booked in your own name, regardless of who paid for the trip.

But I don’t understand the insurance. You claim you bought insurance. Why didn’t the insurance pay your claim?

Apr 27, 2018
The insurance company claimed that I cancelled the cruise too late by 1 DAY, even though it was about 3 months before the cruise date. I was suspect of ovarian cancer and after my third biopsy I decided to cancel the cruise. I sent the insurance company doctor"s letters, lawyer's letters but I wasn't able to get my money back.

Apr 27, 2018
However for the second cruise, to Alaska, Princess Cruise Line only took my credit, leaving Robert and Sylvia's credit intact. My son and his wife sent a notarized letter to Princess asking them to tranfer their credit into my name because they can't take any cruises now., but they refuse to do that.Please try to help me.

Jan 30, 2018
I don't get this at all unless the insurance people have deemed it a pre-existing condition and the policy did not cover that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The insurance company claimed that I cancelled the cruise too late by 1 DAY, even though it was about 3 months before the cruise date. I was suspect of ovarian cancer and after my third biopsy I decided to cancel the cruise. I sent the insurance company doctor"s letters, lawyer's letters but I wasn't able to get my money back.
The shouldn’t matter- the insurance is suppposed to cover you when you cancel regardless. That’s what it’s for. This should be a covered reason.

Unless you fell into the 60 day window industry cater below:

Please note the following restrictions:
Princess will not waive their cancellation fee and provide
a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any of the following reasons:
• a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute, or
has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is purchased;
• a condition related to: elective abortion; use of alcohol
or drugs other than as prescribed by a doctor; psychological disorders (unless hospitalization is required) or pregnancy (unless hospitalization is required);
• business, contractual, or educational obligations of you, a family member or a traveling companion;
• declared or undeclared war or act of war;
• service in the armed forces of any country;
• unlawful acts (committed by you, a family member or
a traveling companion); or
• any specified reason cited previously that occurs prior
to the purchase of the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program.

Did you actually file a claim? Was it Princesses insurance? Was it the regular policy or the Platinum?

You only receive credits for a future cruise if you cancel for a non covered reason. It seems like cancer is a legit reason to cancel.

I am not understanding why the insurance didn’t cover cancer as a specified reason.

Was the cruise and insurance paid in full when you canceled? Did you cancel after the final payment date?

Princess Vacation Protection Package
of Benefits:
• Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver Program – waives the non-refundable cancellation provision of your Passage Contract and pays you the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation in the event that you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation (for specified reasons). In addition, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise for “any other reason”, you may be eligible for Cruise Credits. Provided by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours.*

Something is missing from your story.

Nov 27, 2017
At first I thought there might be a different cancellation time frame for segments of the world cruise since the sailing was 28 days, but looking at the schedule, if the cancellation was 75 days or more, then there would not be any cancellation fees. Am I missing something? Was this a special deal or with a group?

1524854111118.png

Nov 20, 2015
You mentioned that you "decided" to cancel your cruise. At the time of cancellation, had your physician advised you that, from a medical point of view, you would be unable to take the cruise, or did you cancel based on your personal concern that you would be unable to travel 3 months later?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Fay, I think we can help but we have a communication issue. If you were diagnosed with cancer, the insurance would pay you. So I'm wondering if you ever got a formal diagnosis ... perhaps there's some issue with the medical paperwork and the insurance company is not understanding the situation. You are absolutely right, you buy insurance to reimburse you if you have to cancel for a covered reason. Do you have a friend or family member that can go over all this paperwork to help you determine what the problem is? I suspect there's some little glitch somewhere.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You mentioned that you "decided" to cancel your cruise. At the time of cancellation, had your physician advised you that, from a medical point of view, you would be unable to take the cruise, or did you cancel based on your personal concern that you would be unable to travel 3 months later?
CC might have hit the nail on the head. If the doctor didn’t tell you that he didn’t want you to travel and didn’t sign the paperwork saying you couldn’t travel- you fall under a non covered reason and you can only have have the credit issued.

Did the doctor say you couldn’t travel?

And if you canceled it the day after final payment was due- that’s what they are referring to with the one day too late.

Did you use a travel agent? They should have explained this to you when you called to cancel.

And if this is what happened- it doesn’t matter that you paid for the trip for your son and daughter in law. They own the cabin regardless of who paid for it and it was also insured under their names so only they could use the credit.

Apr 27, 2018
After my third biopsy I cancelled the cruise based on my personal concern.... I was 88 years old at that time and I was afraid to go on such a long trip

Apr 27, 2018
CC might have hit the nail on the head. If the doctor didn’t tell you that he didn’t want you to travel and didn’t sign the paperwork saying you couldn’t travel- you fall under a non covered reason and you can only have have the credit issued.

Did the doctor say you couldn’t travel?

And if you canceled it the day after final payment was due- that’s what they are referring to with the one day too late.

Did you use a travel agent? They should have explained this to you when you called to cancel.

And if this is what happened- it doesn’t matter that you paid for the trip for your son and daughter in law. They own the cabin regardless of who paid for it and it was also insured under their names so only they could use the credit.
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but here I am. So, after my third biopsy I just decided to cancel the trip because I was concern something was really wrong and I thought a 28 days cruise would be too much for me, at my 88 years old of age, and with my condition.
I called Princess Cruise line directly and I spoke with their travel agent. She made all the arrangements for me, including the cancellation. She didn't inform me that it would be too late for me to cancel. After that the insurance company contacted me and told me that I was too late by one day. I sent them letters from my doctors, also my lawyer got in touch with them but still, the answer was no refund. Then they told me that the only thing they can do was to give me future cruise credit.

Apr 27, 2018
It would help the know the date of the cruise and the date they canceled. If the insurance would have covered and they all had it, these credits wouldn’t be a problem.
The date cruise was Oct 20th- Nov 17th, 2016. I cancelled it at the end of September, Sep 29, Sep 30, I don't remember exactly.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Ok I understand. Then Princess' insurance worked exactly as it was supposed to. The insurance claim was rejected because your doctor did not not say that you couldn't sail. Without the doctor advising you that you couldn't sail - it is a non covered reason and with Princess insurance - that only allows you to get a future credit.

Because all the reservations were not in your name - you are only entitled to a credit for the res. that WAS in your name. Your son and daughter in law are entitled to the portion of the refund for their cabin, regardless of whether you paid it or not.

By saying you were one day late - it means you were in full cancellation penalty by one day - if you would have canceled the day before, you would have received a partial refund. If would have canceled 43 or more days before the cruise - you would have only had a 75% penalty,

120 days or more None
119-90 days - Cruise fareDeposit* Amount
89-64 days 50% of Total Charges
63-43 days75% of Total Charges
within 42 daysAll Items100% of Total Charges

If you would have submitted an insurance claim from your doctor saying you couldn't travel - you would have been entitled to the refund.

Did you use a travel agent to book this? They could have (and should have) explained this before you canceled.

Apr 27, 2018
Ok I understand. Then Princess' insurance worked exactly as it was supposed to. The insurance claim was rejected because your doctor did not not say that you couldn't sail. Without the doctor advising you that you couldn't sail - it is a non covered reason and with Princess insurance - that only allows you to get a future credit.

Because all the reservations were not in your name - you are only entitled to a credit for the res. that WAS in your name. Your son and daughter in law are entitled to the portion of the refund for their cabin, regardless of whether you paid it or not.

By saying you were one day late - it means you were in full cancellation penalty by one day - if you would have canceled the day before, you would have received a partial refund. If would have canceled 43 or more days before the cruise - you would have only had a 75% penalty,

120 days or more None
119-90 days - Cruise fareDeposit* Amount
89-64 days 50% of Total Charges
63-43 days75% of Total Charges
within 42 daysAll Items100% of Total Charges

If you would have submitted an insurance claim from your doctor saying you couldn't travel - you would have been entitled to the refund.

Did you use a travel agent to book this? They could have (and should have) explained this before you canceled.

thank you very much for your time.