Priceline rewards visa redemption problem

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
We have had a Priceline Rewards Visa card for years and use it a lot. On the website it states "Eligible priceline.com purchases of $25 or more posted to your Account within the last 120 days can be redeemed for statement credit redemptions at a 1.5% value. For example, 1,667 points can be redeemed for a $25 statement credit toward a priceline.com purchase."

this is where the "real" savings come in - not the rather phony and inflated save up to 66% on booking - but $100 grocery bill can be redeemed for $100 in points - while a Priceline travel purchase (express bookings, name your own price, etc) of $100 can be redeemed for $67 in points minus 10 or 6.70 in points back - for a net cost of $60 worth of points THAT is a big savings!

I have been doing this for years with no problem. In April, I was able to redeem some hotel bills as stated -

In September, I went to redeem a hotel bill for $97 and it showed that 9700 points were required (instead of 64.66) - okay, I waited, tried again - no change -

contacted customer service and they "opened a case" - no resolution -

meanwhile I made more bookings with Priceline using the Priceline credit card - they also come up as requiring 1% value to redeem - not 1.5%

use the contact info on this site - got a pretty quick email - they are "researching" it

so my question to the forum, is it only MY account that is affected - or have all Priceline accounts been affected for over 2 months now?

I find it hard to believe that is just me - but I also find it equally hard to believe that this is a widespread issue (computer error?? or?? ) and that card users are not up in arms about it -

so any other Priceline Rewards Visa members on here? What are you seeing?

Jul 30, 2018
Its important to point out that reward programs' terms and conditions are "subject to change without notice". It appears that Priceline modified the rewards/redemption process. Chris recently published an article about rewards programs.

You mentioned that you wrote customer service, but there was "no resolution ". What exactly did they say?

May 30, 2019
It is possible that the program has changed since you first acquired the card?

I reviewed the overview of the current card available to new customers (here), and there is not mention of the 1.5% value. However, there is some mention of a 10% Points back credit.

Its important to point out that reward programs' terms and conditions are "subject to change without notice". It appears that Priceline modified the rewards/redemption process. Chris recently published an article about rewards programs.

You mentioned that you wrote customer service, but there was "no resolution ". What exactly did they say?
They said that they were still "researching" it -

However, their website, both in the less formal "best value for redeeming your points" and in the pdf that one can print out re the terms, continues to refer to these bonus points. I quoted one of the statements from the website.

the promotional info for the card is vague - but here is the more complete statement, as of today, on the website -

"What transactions are eligible for statement credits?

Eligible priceline.com purchases of $25 or more that posted to your account within the last 120 days are eligible for statement credit redemptions at a 1.5% value. Eligible purchases include: cruises (as defined by merchant category code), Name Your Own Price ®, Express Deals™ and Pay Now bookings, as well as purchases of Trip Protection products, made on priceline.com. A Pay Now booking is any booking that requires payment at the time of booking and Priceline.com is the merchant of record."

the 10% bonus applies to all travel purchases - even those not eligible for the 1.5% redemption

If they simply changed the terms, all they have to do is say so - on the other hand, if they changed the terms and did not reflect that on the website, that is possibly a violation of the law.

I should also mention that we are apparently grandfathered in with 2 points for every dollar, no restrictions or limitations (and 5 points for qualifying travel) - not the current 1 point....

Jul 30, 2018
All we can do is advise you to write our company contacts, asking for an explanation on the recent changes to your account. Loyalty points/reward programs are something we don't advocate. Like I previously stated, these programs are subject to change without notice. If you feel Priceline violated the law you should speak with an attorney; we don't offer legal advice.

Sorry, I was unclear - I was not requesting that this issue be advocated - primarily I was hoping that other users of this card would check and see if they have the same problem or not.....

I find it hard to believe that this is only affecting our account - but I find it equally hard to believe that this could go on for months without other complaints, if it is a widespread problem.

so this forum seemed like a good place to find other card users.

by the way, no one at Priceline is saying that the terms changed - the cs rep I talked to on the phone, who opened the first "case" said "I see what you mean"

Thanks - I didn't see anything, but will keep checking -

one of the pluses about this card was its simplicity (for us) - 2% on everything, bonus redemption value with real savings....

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sorry, I was unclear - I was not requesting that this issue be advocated - primarily I was hoping that other users of this card would check and see if they have the same problem or not.....

I find it hard to believe that this is only affecting our account - but I find it equally hard to believe that this could go on for months without other complaints, if it is a widespread problem.

so this forum seemed like a good place to find other card users.

by the way, no one at Priceline is saying that the terms changed - the cs rep I talked to on the phone, who opened the first "case" said "I see what you mean"
I don't think you'll find many forum people who use Priceline. Have you read the current terms and conditions? That's what will govern your situation. The CS reps probably tell everybody that they're researching their issues, knowing that buys some time and hoping that the majority of the queries just go away. If your research shows that the same terms as you've enjoyed still apply, please come back to us and we can guide you on self-advocating. "Grandfathering" as @chris2015 mentioned, might be available to you as well.

Just a quick update - I did finally get an informative reply (from executive services at Priceline) which said that this was a computer problem at Barclay, it was effecting many users, etc. I was told to go ahead and redeem the stays on the website (using the incorrect number of points), send him a list and Barclay would adjust the point balance.

The last email I received from him stated that Barclay had credited us with the extra points - but it has been 5 days, and it is still not corrected - so we'll see -

As I mentioned, the redemption bonus for qualified travel-related stays is the real $$ benefit of the card - the vaunted "save up to 60%" on Priceline bookings are mostly illusory or minor savings at best.

However, if we buy $100 worth of groceries, we get 200 points ($2 worth) and have to use 10000 points to "redeem" that expense - so the groceries cost us $98 net.

if we book a $100 hotel room, we get 500 points on the original cost ($5 worth), and we should only have to use 6667 points to redeem that expense - plus we get a 10% point bonus (667) added back... so the net cost is 5500 points or $55.00. That is significant!

the fact that this computer error has been going on for over 3 months now (that I know of) with no definite fix on the horizon is mind-boggling to me.

Jan 4, 2020
Just a quick update - I did finally get an informative reply (from executive services at Priceline) which said that this was a computer problem at Barclay, it was effecting many users, etc. I was told to go ahead and redeem the stays on the website (using the incorrect number of points), send him a list and Barclay would adjust the point balance.

The last email I received from him stated that Barclay had credited us with the extra points - but it has been 5 days, and it is still not corrected - so we'll see -

As I mentioned, the redemption bonus for qualified travel-related stays is the real $$ benefit of the card - the vaunted "save up to 60%" on Priceline bookings are mostly illusory or minor savings at best.

However, if we buy $100 worth of groceries, we get 200 points ($2 worth) and have to use 10000 points to "redeem" that expense - so the groceries cost us $98 net.

if we book a $100 hotel room, we get 500 points on the original cost ($5 worth), and we should only have to use 6667 points to redeem that expense - plus we get a 10% point bonus (667) added back... so the net cost is 5500 points or $55.00. That is significant!

the fact that this computer error has been going on for over 3 months now (that I know of) with no definite fix on the horizon is mind-boggling to me.

I have had the same problem for several months. Online support just sends the generic response saying what is eligible for the 1.5% redemption reward.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your priceline rewards Visa Signature card. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the redemption on your account.

Please be advise to redeem for 1.5% value transactoin should categories as: cruises (as defined by merchant category code), Name Your Own Price, Express Deals and Pay Now bookings, as well as purchases of Trip Protection products, made on priceline.com. A Pay Now booking is any booking that requires payment at the time of booking and priceline.com is the merchant of record.

Furthermore, statement credits will be posted to your account within one to two (1-2) business days.

Moreover, any non-priceline.com purchases of $25.00 or more posted to your account within the last 120 days are eligible for statement credit redemptions at a 1% value. To view all of your reward options or to redeem, please visit the ‘Rewards & Benefits’ drop down menu and choose on the ‘Rewards & Benefits Center’ link. We hope you find this information helpful.

We thank you for entrusting BarclaycardUS with your most important credit card needs. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Care"

The only purchases I ever redeem points for are pay now, express or name your own price. They seem to not understand the problem. Phone support was more understanding, but no real solutions. Going to try to call again tomorrow and see.

I used the emails for executive support for Priceline (not Barclay) shown here on the Elliott site - and our account is being handled by Nico Tumbagahan at [email protected] -

like you, I got nowhere with Barclay's customer support - I thought once this was reported it would be a simple fix - after all, it worked for years!! so what messed it up?

the more people who complain to Priceline, the more likely it is that it will be that it will be fixed sometime during our lifetime....

Jan 10, 2020
I am having the same issue, I noticed it back in November and opened a case with Barclay's customer support. The case was closed with no notification or resolution after just a few days. I called back and was able to be transferred to someone in the states that understood what I was trying to explain (the first person did not understand it turns out). I called today to get an update and there is no record of me contacting anyone a second time..... I can still only redeem points at a 1% value even on my qualifying purchases.

Jan 14, 2020
Yes, I am having the exact same issues when I tried to redeem my points for several "Express Deal" purchases dating back to September and October. I was able to get a "Travel Credit" for one of my complaints which redeemed the correct amount of points for one of the purchases.

The odd thing is that I made a couple of Alaska Airline purchases last month and those purchases worked for the 1.5% redemption but not the Express Deals.

I now have opened four (4) case numbers on this issue with one of them now being closed due to the Travel Credit I mentioned earlier. The other 3 cases are being "researched". Unfortunately two of my purchases have gone past the 120 limit as of today. Such a hassle! :-(

Jeff

Jan 14, 2020
Update: I received a "Travel Credit" on my Priceline credit card that I believe is the correct amount of points deducted for the redemption (1.5x instead of 1.0x). However, I was not awarded the 10% Bonus for redeeming for travel expenses. At this point I will just be glad I got the correct redemption and will not complain about the extra 10% Bonus that I should have gotten as it is not worth my time and headache.