Priceline Hotel booking refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 24, 2019
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. We were in Paris in a terrible situation with the hotel being nothing like the pictures etc. We got a refund from that but we also accidentally booked the wrong hotel on Priceline. Within minutes we contacted PL to change or cancel the booking. The agent tried to contact the hotel but no manager was available and now its with Priceline's research team. Does anyone know what would be the best steps next to getting a refund? Do I try to dispute it with the credit card? I am about to send an email out to the executives at Priceline.

Dec 19, 2014
What are the circumstance of the accidental booking? Was it a duplicate reservation? The wrong room type? Wrong dates? Did you have to make another booking? Was it an opaque booking?

Depending on the answers to the above question, dictates how to proceed with the request.
The only thing I would NOT do is file a credit card dispute because it is not a "valid" dispute. You booked it. It wasn't fraudulent. A dispute may complicate any efforts to receive a goodwill refund.

Jun 24, 2019
What are the circumstance of the accidental booking? Was it a duplicate reservation? The wrong room type? Wrong dates? Did you have to make another booking? Was it an opaque booking?

Depending on the answers to the above question, dictates how to proceed with the request.
The only thing I would NOT do is file a credit card dispute because it is not a "valid" dispute. You booked it. It wasn't fraudulent. A dispute may complicate any efforts to receive a goodwill refund.
We selected the wrong hotel in the wrong district. Thinking it wouldnt be a big deal we then booked a different hotel on priceline thinking priceline would refund the original incorrect request.

Sep 19, 2015
I am not quite understanding — what does book the wrong hotel in the wrong district mean? Was it the same chain or similar name? Were the rooms non refundable.

As for the double charge could you explain that?

I agree with Chris in NC — a credit card dispute is not appropriate as you admit to making the reservation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
and on top of this, the hotel and priceline double charged us.
How did that happen? Did you accidentally hit the buy button twice?

You shouldn’t do a chargeback - it would be called friendly fraud - you made the error booking the wrong hotel, the hotel did nothing wrong and if you were already in the penalty phase where you booked making the reservation non refundable it’s even more likely you would lose a dispute.

You should wait and see what happens with Priceline trying to assist you. We have company contacts on top of our pages- this is how you should escalate it:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Jul 13, 2016
I am confused.
1. You had a Paris hotel booked. It was misrepresented and you wanted a new hotel. Question-was this first hotel booked through Priceline?
2. You obtained a refund for the first hotel--Did Priceline refund you, or promise to refund you?
3. You booked a hotel on Priceline in an arondissement you didn't want, in a hotel (Hotel #2) you didn't want. Was this on Priceline? Was the rate non refundable?
4. You booked another hotel on Priceline, thinking that you could obtain a refund for hotel #2.

Is this all correct? If so, then you may be on the hook for the second hotel, if it was a non refundable rate, and you were likely checking in immediately due to hotel #1 being misrepresented and you already being in Paris.

Jun 24, 2019
I am confused.
1. You had a Paris hotel booked. It was misrepresented and you wanted a new hotel. Question-was this first hotel booked through Priceline?
2. You obtained a refund for the first hotel--Did Priceline refund you, or promise to refund you?
3. You booked a hotel on Priceline in an arondissement you didn't want, in a hotel (Hotel #2) you didn't want. Was this on Priceline? Was the rate non refundable?
4. You booked another hotel on Priceline, thinking that you could obtain a refund for hotel #2.

Is this all correct? If so, then you may be on the hook for the second hotel, if it was a non refundable rate, and you were likely checking in immediately due to hotel #1 being misrepresented and you already being in Paris.
1. not through priceline and we got the refund from the first hotel through agoda.
2. through agoda all is good there
3. this was on priceline, non refundable
4.correct and i was charged double on hotel 2, once by priceline and once by the hotel.

:(

May 1, 2018
How did the hotel charge you? Did you stay at the hotel? Priceline does not provide your credit card info to the hotel.

We selected the wrong hotel in the wrong district. Thinking it wouldnt be a big deal we then booked a different hotel on priceline thinking priceline would refund the original incorrect request.
Why did you think Priceline would refund a non-refundable reservation? Did call Priceline and someone told you they would?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You booked a non-refundable reservation and with Priceline - that is exactly what it means - non refundable. But how did the hotel charge you as well? As DanD said - Priceline doesn't give that information to the hotel to book you - they do it.

Jul 13, 2016
1. not through priceline and we got the refund from the first hotel through agoda.
2. through agoda all is good there
3. this was on priceline, non refundable
4.correct and i was charged double on hotel 2, once by priceline and once by the hotel.

:(
You should expect to have to pay for Hotel #2. You made a booking mistake, but the rate was non refundable, which means (especially through Priceline) non refundable. The double charge, yes, you should be refunded for the second payment. But as Neil asked, how did the hotel charge you as well? How did the Hotel #2 get your cc information?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
they required a security deposit, thats how they got my cc.
man, this was a expensive mistake :(.
thanks for everyones help
I have never heard of a Priceline hotel booking that required a security deposit. Did you call the hotel and give them your credit card number? Did you book a hotel or an apartment rental? For some reason I don't think we are getting the full story but without that, we can't help you. This isn't making sense.

Jun 24, 2019
I have never heard of a Priceline hotel booking that required a security deposit. Did you call the hotel and give them your credit card number? Did you book a hotel or an apartment rental? For some reason I don't think we are getting the full story but without that, we can't help you. This isn't making sense.
on check in they required a deposit.. and i asked when i checked out when i would receive it back. .and they said a couple days.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Oh boy this is a mess. So you checked in but didn't stay? What you were charged isn't a security deposit, it is a deposit for incidentals - such as phone calls, room service, etc. And it is usually a simple hold, not a real charge. That might be what they mean by a few days - it should fall off by itself.

Jun 24, 2019
no no so there are 3 hotels in this scenario.
the first hotel that was misrepresented was refunded by agoda.
the second hotel which i am trying to get a refund on was booked by accident.
the third hotel which we did stay at and double charged me.

its okay, i am sure i can get the refund for the double charge and the 2nd hotel ill have to eat.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
no no so there are 3 hotels in this scenario.
the first hotel that was misrepresented was refunded by agoda.
the second hotel which i am trying to get a refund on was booked by accident.
the third hotel which we did stay at and double charged me.

its okay, i am sure i can get the refund for the double charge and the 2nd hotel ill have to eat.
I suspect that you booked your hotel (the wrong one that you tried to cancel) on your phone. This is always a risky thing to do since there are many things on the booking screens that may not be visible on a phone (like the fact that the booking was non-refundable). It is always best to book any type of travel, air/hotel/car/tours, etc on a computer screen where you have a much larger field of view and can easily scroll through all of the conditions of booking.

If you were double charged for one hotel you can file a credit card dispute immediately since this is clearly a mistake (or fraud).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Make sure you actually were charged twice at the last hotel- hotels do run a card through due incidentals that falls off in a few days or is refunded at check out if it was charged twice and one charge doesn’t fall off you should easily be able to file a dispute as long as you are using a credit card. Debit card can be a different story.