Priceline "flight change"....extra stop, extra frustration

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 7, 2019
I'm victim of the ol' Airline Schedule Change and I'm hoping you can help.

Basically, I bought a flight from Chicago to Toyko through Priceline, with a stopover in LA. Alaska Air is the domestic carrier, and Singapore Air for the overseas portion.

Last month, Priceline notified me of a schedule change by Alaska, which added another domestic leg to each trip (now two stops each way), including an overnighter on the return. I was ORD-LAX-NAR....now I'm ORD-SFO-LAX-NAR.

This was obviously not preferable, and not what I paid for. When the airline changes your schedule, aren't they supposed to give you something equal or better? I made multiple frustrating phone calls to Priceline and Alaska Air....each says it's up to the other party to remedy the situation. Neither has done anything for me, other than offering to refund my fare....which is cold comfort considering the price from ORD to Tokyo has doubled since I bought in July.

I did find a good alternative option: American Flight 1029 (May 3) and American 2431 (May 12) return. Just neither Alaska nor Priceline want to pay for it.

Any suggestions?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are really the victim of booking through Priceline. Had you booked direct there would be no finger pointing.

Did you have one ticket with both flights in it or two separate tickets?

With a change like that you can tell Alaska that flight is not acceptable and find another Alaska Airline flight that works.

If you want to cancel the Alaska portion and book with another airline, all Alaska owes you is a refund of their ticket and you DO have to pay for another flight.

So Priceline is correct- Alaska only owes you an alternate flight on their airline, not a ticket on another. If you want the American flight, you have to pay for it. They sold you a ticket for the airline combos you bought.

Sep 19, 2015
I have to ask the same question as Neil -- was this separate tickets?

Alaska airlines has been cutting flights in CA, so the non stop may not exist anymore. And I do not think there is a requirement to put one another airline.

As Neil said, the price paid was for Alaska and Singapore, not AA and Singapore.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry you're in this muddle, the itinerary is quite awful. As my colleagues advise, use our company contacts to see if you can persuade Priceline to help you. I'm sure you know that they're a rock-bottom place to book travel and have little customer service. Still, we've seen miracles here occasionally. It's always a good idea to book directly with an airline or hotel ... this is a perfect example of why. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.