Priceline Express Airline Deal

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 2, 2018
I got an amazing deal on this Express Deal for a flight to Hawaii for our family of 5 (scored direct flights from SLC to OGG for cheaper that the long layover flights). My brother is living there and we were planning a trip to visit him over Christmas. I couldn't of been happier. That was two weeks ago. Just found out yesterday that my brother lost his job and will be moving back to the mainland next week. We now either loose $4000 in flights and rental car or spend $3000 more on a hotel. I've called Priceline and they said there was nothing they can do. I've called Delta to try and cancel and they said they can only refund the taxes and that they can't do anything and we need to talk to Priceline. Is there really nothing we can do to get some of our money back? We don't want to spend $3000 more on a trip away from family over the holidays. We are considering just walking away from it since at this point its uninsured and who knows what else could happen, don't want the potential of losing even more money.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
IT is unlikely that you will receive any refund. You very likely bought a non-refundable, non-changeable ticket (check your email confirmation for details) without insurance (which might not have covered this reason for cancelation). You bought through Priceline and Delta will not deal with you. If your car rental is prepaid (never a good idea for just this type of occurrence) then you may or may not get something back depending on the cancelation policy.

You can email Priceline: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/priceline/
Explain your situation and ask for help. You might get a voucher for future travel. Money back is highly unlikely.

Follow these principles: https://www.elliott.org/answers/how-to-fix-your-own-consumer-problem/

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Advocate
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
Try the contacts and see what they say. If you don't get anywhere it might be an idea not to cancel the tickets but just hold on to them. If the flight ends up getting cancelled (i know a very long shot) then you should be able to get a refund and if the taxes aren't much then you have little to lose.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I got an amazing deal on this Express Deal for a flight to Hawaii for our family of 5 (scored direct flights from SLC to OGG for cheaper that the long layover flights). My brother is living there and we were planning a trip to visit him over Christmas. I couldn't of been happier. That was two weeks ago. Just found out yesterday that my brother lost his job and will be moving back to the mainland next week. We now either loose $4000 in flights and rental car or spend $3000 more on a hotel. I've called Priceline and they said there was nothing they can do. I've called Delta to try and cancel and they said they can only refund the taxes and that they can't do anything and we need to talk to Priceline. Is there really nothing we can do to get some of our money back? We don't want to spend $3000 more on a trip away from family over the holidays. We are considering just walking away from it since at this point its uninsured and who knows what else could happen, don't want the potential of losing even more money.
There are many less expensive alternatives to a hotel in Maui; however, if you are interested you need to look very soon for accommodations over the holidays.

Nov 2, 2018
Sounds like there is little chance of getting this back. I think instead of going through the trouble (I tend to get emotionally attached to the outcomes of these things), we are going to try to make the most of it and enjoy the trip. I was able to find a refundable, beautiful place for $2200. We really did get an amazing deal on the flights for the time of year. Thanks for your responses.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Try the contacts and see what they say. If you don't get anywhere it might be an idea not to cancel the tickets but just hold on to them. If the flight ends up getting cancelled (i know a very long shot) then you should be able to get a refund and if the taxes aren't much then you have little to lose.
While a flight cancellation or major schedule change would give you the right to a refund, I wonder if these kinds of tix would qualify for that.

I am so very sorry that this is happening to you ... we pound and pound on the subject of online booking services and prepaying anything to do with a vacation unless there's no alternative. While I understand why you wish to not separate your family from the rest at Christmas, I would definitely move forward with the trip. The five of you can create your own nice holiday this year. There are many alternatives to hotels in Hawaii. Just be careful when booking ... read all the fine print and be sure you understand exactly what you're getting. I wish we had better news for you.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sounds like there is little chance of getting this back. I think instead of going through the trouble (I tend to get emotionally attached to the outcomes of these things), we are going to try to make the most of it and enjoy the trip. I was able to find a refundable, beautiful place for $2200. We really did get an amazing deal on the flights for the time of year. Thanks for your responses.
I think you are making the right decision. You would lose the money by canceling. Go and take that great vacation. You’ll be glad you did.

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Advocate
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
I think you are making the right decision. You would lose the money by canceling. Go and take that great vacation. You’ll be glad you did.
Agreed have a great time!

While a flight cancellation or major schedule change would give you the right to a refund, I wonder if these kinds of tix would qualify for that.
I wondered that too and then thought it would have too, at least for a flight cancellation, because then you are not getting what you paid for ie a flight so it would have to be refundable.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There would have to be a flight change of at least two hours to just be able to tell then do cancel.

Please make sure you have cancelable hotel reservations and buy travel insurance, just in case anything should happen. We don’t want to see you back here if something should happen that insurance would have covered.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/the-right-travel-insurance.1283/