Priceline and Avianca "took" $1150 from me because of one typo error (or autofill) in an airline reservation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 18, 2018
This and other situations make the conclusion quite clear: If you use a third party like Priceline or Expedia, etc., you will be left dangling in the wind if a problem occurs. Perhaps begin your travel search with these companies, but always deal directly with the source - airline, car rental company, etc. Even if the cost ends up a little higher, you will be better served.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have a couple thoughts.... First, airlines ought to have a single text field for "Name to appear on the ticket" That solves the question of multiple or names or hyphenated names.... Though I am not sure how the artist formerly known as Prince might have put in his character. ;-)

Second: When the cancelation fee >= cost of ticket, there is no incentive whatsoever to cancel.
It’s sometimes cheaper just to buy another ticket.

Mar 15, 2019
Neil,

Success!!! A great big thanks to you and others on this web site who helped offer suggestions for this bad situation that I had. I am not sure exactly which of my many actions (or yours) caused the success, but an executive from Priceline contacted me saying that the Priceline would refund their charge and that he had spoken to his Avianca contact, and they would refund at least part of the flight cost to me. He asked if I would like him to personally contact at Avianca airlines and explain the situation. After he called Avianca, he E-mailed me back to say that since Avianca had, evidently, changed the flight schedule recently, this allowed them to give me a total refund credit for the flight. so great big thanks to all!! Elliot Advocacy rocks!!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Glad it worked- that’s why always encourage you to write. We’ve said it many times - sometimes a well written letter can get a mistake turned around.

Two takeaways from your situation:
1. Book directly with an airline, not through
an OTA.

2. Always check all the information in your confirmation as soon as you get it. In many cases you can fix it within 24 hours.