Preexisting condition...not me, but an elderly parent

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 22, 2018
Hello all, I'm sorting through travel insurance for my trip to Antarctica this November. I have no prexisting conditions. I'm traveling alone. But of course both parents are older and do have problems. I seem to be reading that if I have to cancel if one of THEM get sick or die, then the prexisting condtion clause applies because of THEM having a prexisting condition??? That seems crazy. Am I totally misunderstanding this??

Thank you for your clarification.
Maria

Jan 6, 2015
I believe the pre-existing condition clause applies to you. But because there are so many coverages and restrictions, I highly recommend you speak with a travel insurance broker prior to purchasing (see Elliott Article). They know what to ask (that you and I don't) in order to steer you toward the right coverage for your needs. Here are some of the available coverages to consider:
  • BASIC policies (or "lite" as they are often labeled). These offer limited coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, travel delays, and baggage issues. But too often they fail to meet the needs of travelers due to their restricted coverages (i.e., covered reasons). COMPREHENSIVE policies can cover one or more of the following for a nominal cost:
  • Cancel for Any Reason. Covers 50-75% of your non-refundables depending on the policy
  • Cruise Cancellation. Covers non-refundables not purchased through the cruise line
  • Employment Layoff. Being unemployed is hard enough without a failsafe for trip costs
  • Financial Default. Covers when a travel provider is no longer in business
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation. Costs can be in the tens-of-thousands!
  • Hospital of Choice. Without this you are transported to the nearest facility
  • Pre-existing Medical Waiver. Covers conditions that insurers decide is "pre-existing"
  • Primary Medical. Places the insurer first in line for claims. Eliminates the need to file with your own insurance.
Be aware that no single policy will cover every possible reason for cancellation at 100%, and that there are time restrictions (e.g., signing up, cancellation) with every policy ...

EDITED: Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption should cover your parental needs in this scenario:

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Maria if you see a policy in Insuremytrip you like, call the company and ask the question of the insurance company. For most of those policies that would offer coverage, you must purchase within a certain time frame - usually 14-21 days after you make your deposit for your trip. But only the insurance company can tell you what the policy would and will not cover.

Feb 22, 2018
Maria if you see a policy in Insuremytrip you like, call the company and ask the question of the insurance company. For most of those policies that would offer coverage, you must purchase within a certain time frame - usually 14-21 days after you make your deposit for your trip. But only the insurance company can tell you what the policy would and will not cover.
Thanks Neil, I made my initial deposit over a year before the trip, too far in advance to buy any insurance at all. I tried. My trip is not until NOvember. I just purchased some tonight, confident I am ok with my parent's issues not affecting my insurance. Insure my Trip has a great online chat to ask questions. Maria

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks Neil, I made my initial deposit over a year before the trip, too far in advance to buy any insurance at all. I tried. My trip is not until NOvember. I just purchased some tonight, confident I am ok with my parent's issues not affecting my insurance. Insure my Trip has a great online chat to ask questions. Maria
It is never to early to buy insurance, even a year before your travel. And if you yourself had a pre-ex condition,it’s a must.

Insuremytrip is a great resource as they have something for everyone and all it takes is using their chat function to find the right policy. There is a big variety of products out there and as you’ve seen- you found a good one.

Feb 22, 2018
It is never to early to buy insurance, even a year before your travel. And if you yourself had a pre-ex condition,it’s a must.

Insuremytrip is a great resource as they have something for everyone and all it takes is using their chat function to find the right policy. There is a big variety of products out there and as you’ve seen- you found a good one.
I'm sorry but that's incorrect. I talked to Insure My Trip last May 2017, 18 months before my trip, which is when I made my initial deposit. They could not issue a policy that far ahead. At that time I purchased insurance for another trip. I was told to try again at 12 months out for Antarctica. I can only go by what I was told and was unable to do at that time.
Maria