pre-paid cellphone for Paris

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 10, 2015
Hello. I will be going to Paris this summer. I do not have an iPhone or anything like that. I just use a cheap pre-paid cellphone for emergencies. Is there a cheap cellphone that I can buy in the US that I can take to Paris and use to make calls back home? I've done some internet research, but I can't find an answer to this question. Thank you for your help.

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Hello. I will be going to Paris this summer. I do not have an iPhone or anything like that. I just use a cheap pre-paid cellphone for emergencies. Is there a cheap cellphone that I can buy in the US that I can take to Paris and use to make calls back home? I've done some internet research, but I can't find an answer to this question. Thank you for your help.
Hi Alexis,

Here are three articles from the Elliott.org archives that you might find useful:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Alexis, I bought a Mobal international phone several years ago for emergencies. Mobal is based in England. The phone cost $50 Calls are $1.50 a minute. I am hopeless when it comes to using telephones in Europe and usually throw myself on the mercies of the front desk. But I've used my Mobal several times and it is very comforting to have it at times ... as in when you can't find a hotel in the French countryside. It's also an excellent alarm clock.

Jan 8, 2015
Check this out: http://www.lebara.fr/ although, unfortunately, some of the links throw you over to the UK site. You should be able to buy a cheap Lebara phone with a local SIM card once you get to France - at least you can in Switzerland - but I don't see it on the website.

Jan 10, 2015
Alexis, I bought a Mobal international phone several years ago for emergencies. Mobal is based in England. The phone cost $50 Calls are $1.50 a minute. I am hopeless when it comes to using telephones in Europe and usually throw myself on the mercies of the front desk. But I've used my Mobal several times and it is very comforting to have it at times ... as in when you can't find a hotel in the French countryside. It's also an excellent alarm clock.
Thank you, Judy!