Pre-existing condition question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 16, 2019
I'm going on a trip to Ecuador in late June (trip dates 6/24/19 to 7/11/19) with Purposeful Nomad. I'm looking at travel insurances from a variety of companies. So here is my situation. I made a deposit with PN in September 2018. The deposit was to reserve my space on the trip. At the time, PN couldn't confirm if the trip would be canceled because it wouldn't know if the minimum number of people would sign up. PN stated they would make the decision in early March (90 days before the beginning of the tour). So now I know they are running the trip, I've paid the full amount due and now am looking at travel insurance. Based on what I'm reading, I cannot buy travel insurance that will cover any pre-existing conditions because I paid my deposit Sept '18. Are there any travel insurance companies that offer pre-existing condition coverage where the deposit was made in Sept. 2018? I haven't found any travel insurance that would cover pre-existing if the policy is purchased 10-15 days after the first deposit. Any advice is appreciated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Not that I am aware of. You could have bought insurance when you made the deposit for just the deposit amount and added the rest when you made another payment.

The sooner you buy now the better. If your health is stable now and you haven’t had new treatment in the last six months your situation may not be considered pre-ex. Ask any insurance company you are considering.

Nov 20, 2015
What Neil said is accurate. If you have a stable medical condition with no changes in treatment over what is called the "look back period", it isn't considered to be "pre-existing", and will therefore be covered by the policy. The look back period on a policy I recently purchased was 60 days. Typically, the period is 60-180 days. Just be sure to check this specifically with the person selling you the policy(or at least read the policy carefully).

Feb 21, 2018
There is one insurance carrier I know of that offers a pre-existing condition waiver at final payment - CNA - but you must purchase the policy within 24 hours of making final payment on the trip. By any chance, did you just make the final payment?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are you refering to "CSA" ? I searched for "CNA", but it appears they don't issue trip insurance.

Here is the CSA information: https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel...i-global-assistance/premium/#tab_plan-summary

and the details about the pre-existing coverage: https://www.insuremytrip.com/popup/certificate/GPREM/PREEXWAIVER.html?rev=1
Just be aware of the look back period. But she says she made final payment the day she posted this. If it’s been more than 24 hours it’s too late for the pre-ex waiver. But I still suggest buying insurance now because anything could happen with a new condition creeping up, you could break a leg a week before you leave, your health insurance may not cover you if anything should happen while you are traveling or your flights could have a problem causing you to arrive late that you would want coverage for.

Mar 16, 2019
Thank you all for taking time to answer me.

Since all of my health conditions have been with me for years (not just 60-120 days) and I'm healthy now I will stop worrying about that detail. I'll buy my insurance today after reading each carefully. I'm looking at Allianz, Generali, and Amex.

Your collective responses and references materials are most appreciated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Many people with chronic health conditions don’t know that a stable condition may not be considered a pre-existing condition. My wife has Lupus which has been stable for years with no flare ups. That isn’t considered a pre-ex condition. There are many chronic conditions that are similar.

Make sure you call the companies you are considering and verify that with them.

In the future if you do have a condition you are concerned with be aware that some policies will allow you to insure just the deposit - since that is all that would be nonrefundable- and you can add the rest of balance at the time you pay it. Again, you need to call the company you are considering to make sure they allow that.

Enjoy your trip.

Jan 6, 2015
Here's a list of coverages for you to consider:

Cancel for Any Reason. Covers 50-75% of your non-refundables depending on the policy
Cruise Cancellation. Covers non-refundables not purchased through the cruise line
Employment Layoff. Being unemployed is hard enough without a failsafe for trip costs
Financial Default. Covers when a travel provider is no longer in business
Emergency Medical Evacuation. Costs can be in the tens-of-thousands!
Hospital of Choice. Without this you are transported to the nearest facility
Pre-existing Medical Waiver. Covers conditions that insurers decide is "pre-existing"
Primary Medical. Places the insurer first in line for claims. Eliminates the need to file with your own insurance.

Jan 30, 2018
We do what Neil suggests - insure just the deposit at initial payment time to lock in the pre-existing condition waiver just in case. Then we make additional payments on the insurance as we make further payments on the trip. That way, if we have to cancel the trip in advance (as we have had to do a couple of times) we only lose a modest amount. We used to use a company that permitted transfer of the insurance to a different trip but they seem to have disappeared.

Mar 12, 2019
I'm going on a trip to Ecuador in late June (trip dates 6/24/19 to 7/11/19) with Purposeful Nomad. I'm looking at travel insurances from a variety of companies. So here is my situation. I made a deposit with PN in September 2018. The deposit was to reserve my space on the trip. At the time, PN couldn't confirm if the trip would be canceled because it wouldn't know if the minimum number of people would sign up. PN stated they would make the decision in early March (90 days before the beginning of the tour). So now I know they are running the trip, I've paid the full amount due and now am looking at travel insurance. Based on what I'm reading, I cannot buy travel insurance that will cover any pre-existing conditions because I paid my deposit Sept '18. Are there any travel insurance companies that offer pre-existing condition coverage where the deposit was made in Sept. 2018? I haven't found any travel insurance that would cover pre-existing if the policy is purchased 10-15 days after the first deposit. Any advice is appreciated.
Not to long ago I looked over a policy I bought and it clearly stated it did not cover pre-existing issues. But I hope you find a policy that does cover it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Not to long ago I looked over a policy I bought and it clearly stated it did not cover pre-existing issues. But I hope you find a policy that does cover it.
As we told Sheila, her condition may not be considered pre-existing if it hadn’t had any flare ups in the last six months and that appears it may be the case from one of her later replies. It appears she might be just fine.

Always speak to the company you are considering and ask- they are the experts on their company and that’s what they are there for.

Jan 6, 2015
As we told Sheila, her condition may not be considered pre-existing if it hadn’t had any flare ups in the last six months and that appears it may be the case from one of her later replies. It appears she might be just fine.

Always speak to the company you are considering and ask- they are the experts on their company and that’s what they are there for.
I agree with a caution about what Sheila actually said here: "all of my health conditions have been with me for years (not just 60-120 days) and I'm healthy now".

Based upon her words "not just 60-120 days", it could be reasoned that she has been treated inside the look back time period . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Which is why anyone contemplating buying insurance must call the company they are considering using and asking. This is why travel agents can’t advise our clients- there are too many variables and the only expert is the insurance company. And even an insurance company can give incorrect information if a question isn’t asked properly.