Possible to dispute diesel damages on Gas car or claim credit card collision damage waiver insurance?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 17, 2018
This cost is in line with what is out there on the web for repair. If it includes the towing, you may be able to get that covered by your credit card. You should submit a claim for the charge now, and not wait. The final charge can be adjusted after your get more paperwork from the rental agency DRU.
That's what I'm thinking too, that it seems fair for a "preliminary" cost. They did say that they are still working out all the repair charges so there will be more coming out in the final bill. I also remember having read a post of a similar misfueling case with an Alamo rental car. Their initial charge was about $400 then she got another bill for $1,500 just for the towing, not sure whether she got more bills after.

"If it includes the towing, you may be able to get that covered by your credit card." -> That's what I assumed/hoped as the MasterRental policy says it covers the towing and loss of use. When I submitted the online claim form yesterday however, it only showed 3 options: collision, theft, or tire damage, none of which the misfueling can be classified under. I selected the tire damage anyhow and just explained the situation.

Christina H also made a good point after she glanced through the MasterCard policy:
“Due Diligence: All parties are expected to exercise due diligence to avoid or diminish any theft, loss or damage to the property insured under these programs. “Due diligence” means the performance of all vigilant activity, attentiveness, and care that would be taken by a reasonable and prudent person in the same or similar circumstances in order to guard and protect the item.”

"I think it is page 36– due diligence would mean not putting in the wrong type of fuel, so I would suspect that this gives the card insurance a reason not to cover this. "

I'm still going to try to submit all that I can and hope for the best.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As I said above - my wifes friend did this and my wife remember it costing about $600 for everything, including the tow. The engine shuts down to prevent damage to it so hopefully, it wouldn't be too much more.

Unless they had to tow a car two states away, I can't see a $1500 towing bill.

Sep 17, 2018
As I said above - my wifes friend did this and my wife remember it costing about $600 for everything, including the tow. The engine shuts down to prevent damage to it so hopefully, it wouldn't be too much more.

Your note offered relief for sure and so did learning about the towing having been factored into the preliminary cost. As to whether that was all the towing charge or not, I have yet to find out. Hopefully not a 1.5k bill for bringing it from upstate new york to the newark airport for 3.5 hours + loss of use and other charges.

Many thanks for your time and input!

Sep 17, 2018
Another update I wanted to share:

I just spoke with the Admin Supervisor of the Alamo Risk dept., the one who sent me the initial note about the diesel damage.

She said that although it may take up to 2 months for their insurance company and billing to work out the total charges, she doesn't expect the total charges to skyrocket, maybe it'll be a total of around $1K for a RAV4 that's more straightforward/easy.

She also shared that she's confident that credit card companies or Mastercard has covered something like this before as she's seen more unusual things being covered.

These were her opinion of estimates based on past experience, not official statements.

~$1K is significantly better than the $4K-17K range I've seen on this matter but I'll still brace myself for possible surprises with this.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii

The engine shuts down because the spark plugs in a gas engine cannot ignite diesel fuel, so once the remaining gasoline in the gas line is used up there essentially is no fuel. The car will typically run for a few minutes with a tank full of diesel until the gas line contains diesel, not gasoline, at the fuel injector ports. The fix is to drain the fuel tank and then flush the fuel lines, fuel pump and fuel injectors. There is usually no damage to the actual engine itself.

Sep 17, 2018
I am really hoping that you can get that receipt and it will show you used regular gas. That should truly help. But keep us informed on what happens.
I'm still awaiting the receipt from Dandy but I wanted to update you all that I got a bill from Alamo today with this breadkdown:

Item Total Cost Amount Due
Damage $379.95
Towing & Storage $250.00 -> I noticed there was a double charge of $125 for the same thing so I'm having them clarify.
Admin Fees $50.00
Loss of Use: (6.00 / 4.00) hours @ $26.97 per day @ 100.00% occupancy -$40.45
Diminishment of Value $37.99 - Waived
Total Amount Due: $ 720.40*

I actually jumped up and down when I saw this! :D Because it's significantly more reasonable than the 4K-17K range that I had read about and dreaded.

I am calling them however to verify whether this is the final bill or something else will come up later as with other situations I've read.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I'm still awaiting the receipt from Dandy but I wanted to update you all that I got a bill from Alamo today with this breadkdown:

Item Total Cost Amount Due
Damage $379.95
Towing & Storage $250.00 -> I noticed there was a double charge of $125 for the same thing so I'm having them clarify.
Admin Fees $50.00
Loss of Use: (6.00 / 4.00) hours @ $26.97 per day @ 100.00% occupancy -$40.45
Diminishment of Value $37.99 - Waived
Total Amount Due: $ 720.40*

I actually jumped up and down when I saw this! :D Because it's significantly more reasonable than the 4K-17K range that I had read about and dreaded.

I am calling them however to verify whether this is the final bill or something else will come up later as with other situations I've read.
The repair charge is quite reasonable, representing only 3-4 hrs labor plus any parts and tax. The towing depends upon time/distance and may have a time of day surcharge. If you have not done so you should see if your credit card that was used to rent the car has any towing coverage. I think this is a surprisingly reasonable overall charge.

Sep 19, 2015
I agree with weihlac that the cost is not excessive and with Neil in getting documentation that the payment satisfies the claim in full. This is not to say that $720 is pocket change, but it does not seem excessive.

Sep 17, 2018
The repair charge is quite reasonable, representing only 3-4 hrs labor plus any parts and tax. The towing depends upon time/distance and may have a time of day surcharge. If you have not done so you should see if your credit card that was used to rent the car has any towing coverage. I think this is a surprisingly reasonable overall charge.
My MasterRental policy (which I believe only covers collision damage), states that it covers:
- Reasonable loss of use charges imposed by the vehicle rental company for the period of time the rental vehicle is out of service.
- Towing charges to the nearest collision repair facility.

It does not cover:
- Mechanical failures caused by wear and tear, gradual deterioration, or mechanical breakdown.
- Subsequent damages resulting from a failure to protect the rental vehicle from further damage.

Hopefully it really is the overall charge.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018
If you pay this, you must make sure you get something in writing from them saying this satisfies the claim in full.
Great advice! The Damage Recovery, over the phone, said that if i pay they will send a close out letter and after that I will not be liable for any other claims.

I have emailed both their damage recovery and risk management departments to make sure they're all consistent that this is the final bill and will follow up with your advice.

Many thanks to you all! :)

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My MasterRental policy (which I believe only covers collision damage), states that it covers:
- Reasonable loss of use charges imposed by the vehicle rental company for the period of time the rental vehicle is out of service.
- Towing charges to the nearest collision repair facility.

It does not cover:
- Mechanical failures caused by wear and tear, gradual deterioration, or mechanical breakdown.
- Subsequent damages resulting from a failure to protect the rental vehicle from further damage.

Hopefully it really is the overall charge.
It is still worth submitting the towing charge. The worst that will happen is they will reject it.

Sep 17, 2018
Got the receipt today from the gas station. Unfortunately, I/we did make that blunder of putting diesel. :(

With this shocking oversight, I'm just glad that so far that the damage did not reach 4 digits.

Sep 17, 2018
Well at least now you know and don’t have to speculate.

The repair cost is quite reasonable. Make sure you get in writing that by paying the claim it is payment in full and no other costs will be charged to you.
It is. Thanks, I'll make sure they do that.

Thanks again to everyone! :)