Portland suites hotel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 25, 2019
I recently stayed at Portland Suites hotel and was informed they were keeping my 100 deposit for evudence of smoking in room. First we were given our deposit back however then the hotel took it back stating they had evidence. We had not smoked in room there is proof by door key we were in fact locked out twice for going out side to have a cigarette and front desk couldnt even state what kind of evidence they had except for smell. Well the smell from our clothes alone or theirs. We smoked in their smoking area which isnt even 10 feet from building. Now they are keeping our deposit and I'm disputing this charge. I'm nit a liar and feel as if being called one.

Jan 6, 2015
You are facing an uphill battle, I think, because:

• You acknowledge smoking outside, which transfers to your clothing, which then transfers to the room.
• Apparently their policy includes not just smoking, but the smell of smoke
• They appear to be locally owned with no corporate structure to whom you could appeal

As a final step, you could dispute this charge with your CC provider, but again, your outdoor smoking becomes a "smoking gun" (no pun intended).

Worth considering for potential smoke odors in your room. Easily transported, can be clipped to the air conditioning unit, and taken with you at checkout.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
You are facing an uphill battle, I think, because:

• You acknowledge smoking outside, which transfers to your clothing, which then transfers to the room.
• Apparently their policy includes not just smoking, but the smell of smoke
• They appear to be locally owned with no corporate structure to whom you could appeal

As a final step, you could dispute this charge with your CC provider, but again, your outdoor smoking becomes a "smoking gun" (no pun intended).

Worth considering for potential smoke odors in your room. Easily transported, can be clipped to the air conditioning unit, and taken with you at checkout.
Good try, but if the owners are targeting smokers it probably won’t help.
They can still claim ‘smell of smoke’ and you having used the item wouldn’t disprove their claim.
Another instance where you can’t really prove the negative.
It’s a sad world where people are not playing fair. :(

As for your case, a smoker is pretty much immune to the smell of smoke so you can’t really be a good judge of whether the room smelled of smoke when you checked out.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
If you are a smoker, then your room smells of cigarette smoke. It's embedded in your clothes, your skin, your breath, your wallet, your socks. If you put your coat on a chair, the chair is going to smell. You should confine your hotel stays to properties that specifically allow smoking, to avoid this problem in the future.

Sep 19, 2015
If you are a smoker, then your room smells of cigarette smoke. It's embedded in your clothes, your skin, your breath, your wallet, your socks. If you put your coat on a chair, the chair is going to smell. You should confine your hotel stays to properties that specifically allow smoking, to avoid this problem in the future.
If that is the case the hotel should not allow smokers or anyone that has been in a smoking establishment.

I went with a professional musician to some serious dive bars to listen to local music (honky tonks are a step up from these places but she is interested in local traditions and guitar playing styles) — and was it ever smoky—and we stayed in a non smoking hotel. I would not want to be charged for smoke transfer and neither would she.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If that is the case the hotel should not allow smokers or anyone that has been in a smoking establishment.

I went with a professional musician to some serious dive bars to listen to local music (honky tonks are a step up from these places but she is interested in local traditions and guitar playing styles) — and was it ever smoky—and we stayed in a non smoking hotel. I would not want to be charged for smoke transfer and neither would she.
If the room you have used smells of smoke the hotel will need to clean it or take it out of service, both expensive for the hotel. I would not stay in a room that smelled of smoke regardless of the reason for it smelling like smoke. The hotel cannot ban smokers from renting the room but it can charge them for room cleaning.

As a smoker, the OP needs to realize that all of their clothing smelled like smoke and that smell was transferred to the hotel room including bedding and any upholstered furniture that they used.

Dec 23, 2018
I do not disagree that smoke odor clings to a smokers person, clothing, etc. However, that is not relevant to the contractual requirments for staying in a hotel room, which are not to smoke in the room or other non-designated place. If the hotel wishes to charge for residual odors, this should be specified clearly in writing. If the hotel wishes to charge for smoking in a room, it should be prepared to prove it.