Poor service by priceline

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 24, 2018
I had 2 separate reservations in the same hotel in Denver Aurora under priceline. The first night i had bite marks but i just dismissed it as something biting me on the trail. But the second night i actually woke up to something biting me and to my great horror realized it was bedbugs.
It was 1:30 am in the night and the hotel gave us a room change. But it ruined our sleep. They refunded us only for the first night and when I called priceline the agent was extremely rude to me and told me it cant have been that bad the first night if it did not wake you up. He basically hung up on me. We have a document detailing that we were given a different room for a specified reason. I also have taken pics of the bite marks which are in a lot of places.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is what you get when booking with OTAs- they don’t offer service after you have booked. However- bedbugs is also not something they are responsible for either.

You need to reach out to the corporate offices of whatever hotel you were at. Frankly- if you stayed the second night- they really don’t owe you anything. You could have asked Priceline to move you to another hotel.

You don’t say what hotel you were at but we have a company contacts page. Read the main page on the bottom on how to write and then follow those instructions using our company contacts.

One thing you need to worry about is your suitcases and bringing bedbugs in your house. Please read about how to debug suitcases so you don’t bring them home.

Oct 13, 2015
According to the CDC, symptoms take days to 2 weeks to develop for first exposure. If you've been bitten by bed bugs previously, symptoms show much more quickly.

Have you been bitten before?

Aug 24, 2018
Hey yes I have been bitten before! Thats how i know it is such a pain! So you suggest that I should contact the hotel directly? I stayed at the Timbers hotel in Aurora Denver. I am also thinking of posting a review on priceline and writing about this on twitter so other people dont suffer the same fate.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I had 2 separate reservations in the same hotel in Denver Aurora under priceline. The first night i had bite marks but i just dismissed it as something biting me on the trail. But the second night i actually woke up to something biting me and to my great horror realized it was bedbugs.
It was 1:30 am in the night and the hotel gave us a room change. But it ruined our sleep. They refunded us only for the first night and when I called priceline the agent was extremely rude to me and told me it cant have been that bad the first night if it did not wake you up. He basically hung up on me. We have a document detailing that we were given a different room for a specified reason. I also have taken pics of the bite marks which are in a lot of places.
Take Neil's advice about your clothing and suitcases very seriously. People routinely take bedbugs home from the hotel where they encounter them.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do NOT post a review until you try to settle this with the hotel. What do you want them to do for you? If you want something from them- once you post a negative review, there is little incentive for them to help you.

Unfortunately it doesn’t appear that they are affiliated with a large hotel chain so you are stuck dealing with the hotel itself.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Do NOT post a review until you try to settle this with the hotel. What do you want them to do for you? If you want something from them- once you post a negative review, there is little incentive for them to help you.

Unfortunately it doesn’t appear that they are affiliated with a large hotel chain so you are stuck dealing with the hotel itself.
Good advice, but next time check the reviews before staying somewhere. 24% of the Tripadvisor reviews are TERRIBLE, another 12% POOR. A hotel has to work hard to get that type of reviews.

Aug 24, 2018
I called priceline and they told me they will hand over the matter to their hotel relations department and let me know in a few days. Should I wait for them? Or call the hotel directly?

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I called priceline and they told me they will hand over the matter to their hotel relations department and let me know in a few days. Should I wait for them? Or call the hotel directly?
Stop talking to them on the phone-deal with them by email ONLY. They will tell you one thing one time and then deny it the next time you talk to someone else. You need an electronic trail.

Nov 20, 2015
I tell patients that if they can actually feel something biting them, it's almost certainly not bedbugs. It may well have been fleas, mites, or something else.

Aug 24, 2018
I stayed in The Timbers hotel for 2 nights. We had 2 separate priceline reservations. The room that i stayed in was infested with bedbugs and the second night we changed it in the middle of the night because i woke up to a bed bug biting me.

It was a very traumatic experience that has made me rethink my travel plans. The first night even though i was bit by bedbugs i did not think to check the room because it just seemed impossible any hotel would have those.

The second night our room was not even cleaned and we were not given clean towels which is another first.

I dont mind not having the room cleaned and the towels part but i definitely draw the line at bedbugs.

It took more than a week for my bed bug bite marks to go away.

Despite all this I was refunded for only one night.

I would highly appreciate it if you could refund me for both the nights I stayed in Timbers.

If not i plan on going to every social media site trip advisor hotels.com priceline and posting about my experience so that other people dont suffer my fate.

I have photos of bed bugs bites along with pricelines email where they acknowledge we were given a bed bug ridden room all of which i intend to post.

Trip number for August 19:1xxxxxxxxxxx87.

Kindly let me know if you can issue a refund for this reservation.

My email to them! Does this look ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I stayed in The Timbers hotel for 2 nights. We had 2 separate priceline reservations. The room that i stayed in was infested with bedbugs and the second night we changed it in the middle of the night because i woke up to a bed bug biting me.

It was a very traumatic experience that has made me rethink my travel plans. The first night even though i was bit by bedbugs i did not think to check the room because it just seemed impossible any hotel would have those.

The second night our room was not even cleaned and we were not given clean towels which is another first.

I dont mind not having the room cleaned and the towels part but i definitely draw the line at bedbugs.

I would highly appreciate it if you could refund me for both the nights I stayed in Timbers.

If not i plan on going to every social media site trip advisor hotels.com priceline and posting about my experience so that other people dont suffer my fate.

I have photos of bed bugs bites along with pricelines email where they acknowledge we were given a bed bug ridden room all of which i intend to post.

Trip number for August 19:1xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Unfortunately, bedbugs are a national problem, with even some of the best hotels affected. You should not be surprised by this. I would remove " because it just seemed impossible any hotel would have those." I would also take out the "If not i plan on going to every social media site trip advisor hotels.com priceline and posting about my experience so that other people dont suffer my fate.". This will not make them more likely to help you. You can always do so it afterward if you choose. You can and should register the hotel on the bedbugreports.com site.
You can search on this web site: http://www.bedbugreports.com/
https://www.bedbugs.org/new-york/
Otherwise your message is on point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2015
If you have real proof that bedbugs were present--photos of non-specific "bite marks" and an acknowledgment of a room change don't count on their own- then by all means speak out on social media. Threatening is a bad idea, even if there's a chance it will work.

Bedbug infestation can be a DISASTER for a hotel-particularly an independent hotel. A few years ago, one of our local motels was shamed on social media for an alleged bedbug infestation. The owner had a pest control company inspect for bedbugs- the company found no evidence of infestation. The owner filed suit against the reviewer for libel and the matter was settled out of court.

So, if you have acknowledgment from the hotel that there was an infestation, or clear physical evidence of an infestation, by all means report it on social media after you've finished with your appeals to the hotel. Otherwise, just don't go back to the hotel.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Trip number for August 19:1xxxxxxxxxxx87.

I edited it- you need facts only - but why did you have 2 separate reservations?

I stayed in The Timbers hotel for 2 nights- xxxxxxx- XX/xx/Xxxx. Reservations # xxxxxxx and xxxxxx. Both were booked through Priceline .

The first night, the room that i stayed in was infested with bedbugs and the second night we changed it in the middle of the night because i woke up to a bed bug biting me.

(I would also state how you know for a fact you were bitten by bedbugs. Did you go to a dr to confirm the bites were bedbug bites? Also- what about your luggage? If there were bedbugs did you throw out your luggage so you did not bring them into your house? How was Priceline able to confirm that there were bedbugs? You need to tell them.)

In addition, the second night our room was not cleaned and we were not given clean towels.

I was refunded for one night but think Isgluld have been refunded for both nights due to the multiple problems I experienced. I would highly appreciate it if you could refund me for both the nights I stayed in Timbers.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I tell patients that if they can actually feel something biting them, it's almost certainly not bedbugs. It may well have been fleas, mites, or something else.
You're threatening them. I don't think this will be productive. As CCGormand states, your problem might not have been bedbugs. Look at your situation with a suspicious eye ... are you making a solid case for the refund? If you have proof, you should still be polite and stick with the facts. Mentioning extraneous things such as the room wasn't clean does not help your case.

Sep 19, 2015
I edited it- you need facts only - but why did you have 2 separate reservations?

I stayed in The Timbers hotel for 2 nights- xxxxxxx- XX/xx/Xxxx. Reservations # xxxxxxx and xxxxxx. Both were booked through Priceline .

The first night, the room that i stayed in was infested with bedbugs and the second night we changed it in the middle of the night because i woke up to a bed bug biting me.

(I would also state how you know for a fact you were bitten by bedbugs. Did you go to a dr to confirm the bites were bedbug bites? Also- what about your luggage? If there were bedbugs did you throw out your luggage so you did not bring them into your house? How was Priceline able to confirm that there were bedbugs? You need to tell them.)

In addition, the second night our room was not cleaned and we were not given clean towels.

I was refunded for one night but think Isgluld have been refunded for both nights due to the multiple problems I experienced. I would highly appreciate it if you could refund me for both the nights I stayed in Timbers.

Question again— what proof is that there were bedbugs and not mosquitoes?

What is this email from Priceline confirming bedbugs? How would they know or are they just repeating what you said.

Stop with the social media threats — that is a lousy tactic.

Aug 24, 2018
Hello thanks a lot for the advice everyone. Yes those were bedbugs my husband actually found a live one crawling and a dead one! Because initially we both thought and oped i was wrong! we did not take photos of it unfortunately but i have photos of my bite marks.
@Neil Maley: Hey we had 2 separate reservations because first we intended to stay only a day but then we later decided to extend it and it was a priceline express deal so we could not change it.
The hotel told us they would inspect the room and let priceline know.
This is pricelines email to me:

Thank you for taking the time to read this email.

We understand that you had issues with bed bugs during your stay. We
have contacted the hotel, and they have advised us that they will still
charge for the August 19, 2018 reservation. Therefore, your reservation
remains non-refundable.

We are sorry we did not provide the answers you were looking for, and we
thank you for your time.

Its not a question of money its more about how can you treat your customers so poorly.

Did you ever actually see a bed bug? Could it have been another icky insect? Did bed bugs come home with you?
Hey no i laundered my clothes and pretty much left everything in my car so fortunately no bedbugs in my house. It gets super hot here so they are dead.

Ya thats what i thought the first night. That its just some insect that bit me on the trail. But the next night we actually inspected the bed and found bed bugs.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Maddy, use the shortened letter I sent and include that information where I left spaces.

But leave the threats out- of you need to do this later if you can’t get anywhere. But it will be an adversarial request if you put that in your letter.