Pls help Amazon closed my account

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 19, 2018
Amazon closed my account and sent an address verification email but I don't have any card linked to my Amazon account .. I only pay with Amazon gift card... And the gift card where given to me by friends and family as gifts on different days some of them have trashed the receipts and cards ... What should I do pls

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have quite a few complaints about Amazon here because Amazon has been having been many problems with gift card fraud. Gift cards are a huge problem because many fraudulent activities can be done with gift cards, including money laundering. Why were you given so many gift cards?

If you can’t provide them with what they are asking- you aren’t entitled to have an account. Same thing with the gift cards, Amazon needs to see they were purchased legitimately.

YOUR ACCOUNT
You may need your own Amazon account to use certain Amazon Services, and you may be required to be logged in to the account and have a valid payment method associated with it. If there is a problem charging your selected payment method, we may charge any other valid payment method associated with your account. Click here to manage your payment options. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password and for restricting access to your account, and you agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account or password. Amazon does sell products for children, but it sells them to adults, who can purchase with a credit card or other permitted payment method. If you are under 18, you may use the Amazon Services only with involvement of a parent or guardian. Parents and guardians may create profiles for teenagers in their Amazon Household. Alcohol listings on Amazon are intended for adults. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase alcohol, or use any site functionality related to alcohol. Amazon reserves the right to refuse service, terminate accounts, terminate your rights to use Amazon Services, remove or edit content, or cancel orders in its sole discretion.

Feb 16, 2018
Amazon is cracking down on what it sees as possible fraudulent or illegal use of their site. You can try to appeal to Amazon but it has not been successful much. The main cause of Amazon closing accounts has been involving the use of gift cards. It sounds like your circumstances fit the profile.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018
Pls so what do I do now I bought some giftcards myself and I still got the pictures of the receipt and card and only got some of the pictures sent to me by friends... when I asked for the receipts they told me they already thrashed then..

Sep 19, 2015
Amazon wants a back up method of payment in case of gift card theft and as a way to verify the address.

If one cannot show the receipts and prove that the gift cards were legitimately purchased then it is likely that amazon will close account for good with no back up payment method.

There is a massive amount of credit card and gift card fraud.

Sep 27, 2017
I said it before in another thread, that Amazon needs to be more transparent as to what can trigger their fraud detectors to go off. Even a simple message would work, like: "NOTE: Purchases with gift cards over $XXXX, Purchases with Amazon gift cards procured from third-party retailers, or Purchases with gift cards that will be shipped internationally may be delayed or require additional information from the customer."

Even if their fraud dept. can successfully identify 98% of these transactions as fraud/ money laundering/ etc., it would still lead to 2% of these purchases as being shut down without merit. Considering that Amazon keeps these funds, too, without a legitimate chance for appeal an the scale at which Amazon does business, it's a profit center for them. Unjust enrichment for them.

I'm not shaming Amazon for protecting their interests or using technology and algorithms to do so. It's just no system is perfect and their legitimate customers need a legitimate appeals process.

Sep 19, 2015
I said it before in another thread, that Amazon needs to be more transparent as to what can trigger their fraud detectors to go off. Even a simple message would work, like: "NOTE: Purchases with gift cards over $XXXX, Purchases with Amazon gift cards procured from third-party retailers, or Purchases with gift cards that will be shipped internationally may be delayed or require additional information from the customer."

Even if their fraud dept. can successfully identify 98% of these transactions as fraud/ money laundering/ etc., it would still lead to 2% of these purchases as being shut down without merit. Considering that Amazon keeps these funds, too, without a legitimate chance for appeal an the scale at which Amazon does business, it's a profit center for them. Unjust enrichment for them.

I'm not shaming Amazon for protecting their interests or using technology and algorithms to do so. It's just no system is perfect and their legitimate customers need a legitimate appeals process.
Well I would not be surprised if they lost money from chargebacks on gift cards bought with stolen credit cards, and items bought with stolen credit cards. And alerting people to "triggers" make them get around it. The scammers are getting more and more sophisticated:

Here is a post from someone about id theft and amazon -- block copied --

My husband's ID was stolen. Someone placed an order on Amazon for computers. They used his account, shipping address (which they diverted after it was shipped), and name (which they signed for after showing fake ID to 2 employees). My husband is especially concerned that there is a passable fake ID with his name on it. Now, I know why many companies require you take it out of your wallet. The employees said it had a blue background. Dah...

We don't know how they got the information. I got the survelance video and watched the whole thing. Amazon's response was that it was shipped to our house and he signed for it. Discover Card was very sympathetic and helpful. They kept assuring me that we wouldn't be responsible for it. Discover Card charged it back to Amazon and they didn't contest it.

Package was diverted through the post office --

This charge was about $5,000 --

Credit and gift card fraud is a serious problem. I doubt it is a profit center for amazon. How many of these gift cards were bought with stolen credit card numbers? .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Manney, Amazon wants a credit card from you to verify you and that your address is legit and also to have a method of charging a cc if there is a problem with one of the gift cards.

How much in gift cards are you talking about and what is the reason people are giving them to you?

We need to know everything about the account in order to tell you if there is any hope of a resolution, in every case we get here, when we finally get the story it becomes very clear as to why Amazon is restricting the accounts.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

You have never been a cop or involved in security. You never give hints or details about what triggers investigations. That allows people to find workarounds.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This whole topic of Amazon gift cards, closed accounts and silence from Amazon will probably never go away. Common sense tells you that people might have 3 gift cards right after their birthday in amounts of $500 or less. Nobody else has more than one gift card at a time unless there's something amiss. I wish people would "get it" and stop mis-using gift cards and complaining when they're penalized by Amazon. It's so sad to think of people losing large sums of money because Amazon closes their accounts and keeps the balance. It will take a class-action lawsuit to change their procedures, I'm afraid. Meanwhile, go find another hobby to keep yourself occupied.

Aug 19, 2018
This whole topic of Amazon gift cards, closed accounts and silence from Amazon will probably never go away. Common sense tells you that people might have 3 gift cards right after their birthday in amounts of $500 or less. Nobody else has more than one gift card at a time unless there's something amiss. I wish people would "get it" and stop mis-using gift cards and complaining when they're penalized by Amazon. It's so sad to think of people losing large sums of money because Amazon closes their accounts and keeps the balance. It will take a class-action lawsuit to change their procedures, I'm afraid. Meanwhile, go find another hobby to keep yourself occupied.
I agree that something seems off with this particular poster, but I would disagree with your assessment regarding how many gc's someone might legitimately have.
Several of my rewards programs (cc's, bank account rewards, survey requests, etc) allow redemption of points for gc's (including Amazon).

I of course have my Amazon Prime card as my primary payment (and a Barclay Rewards card for backup), but I could easily have perhaps 2 to 5 random $25-$100 gc's over the course of a six month period, nowhere near my birthday.

Separately, if I did not have the Amazon credit card, another valid process is to buy legitimate GCs at Target, using their 5% RedCard discount. Perfectly permissible by both Target and Amazon.

That said, in all above scenarios, I would have provenance for each GC, and don't imagine my pattern is unusual or would be cause for concern.

And *I* would be able to answer all advocate questions if I had to make a post like this.

Mar 14, 2018
Manney,

Amazon often freezes accounts where they can't verify the account holder and gift cards purchased with cash are added. This usually has less to do with fraud than complying with US regulations on anonymous money movement.

If you are persistent, Amazon will need to show that you have done something wrong, rather than forcing you to prove that you did everything right. For example, there is no requirement that gift card receipts need to be retained nor that you have a credit card backup on the account.

Here's what you need to do:

1) Try to work things out with Amazon. Give them the info they ask for if you have it. Some people have had their accounts unfrozen this way. However, some have not and escalating the issue within Amazon has rarely worked.

2) If Amazon continues to refuse to release your funds, notify Amazon that you are filing for arbitration. Instructions for how to do this are in section 6 of the Amazon Gift Card Agreement. In arbitration, Amazon will need to show justification for confiscating your funds (which, if you have been honest, they will not be able to do). While there are fees to actually start an arbitration, Amazon should reimburse you for them. However, I'd guess Amazon will return your funds before arbitration starts rather than incur those expenses. You will probably be barred from future business with Amazon if it goes this far.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree that something seems off with this particular poster, but I would disagree with your assessment regarding how many gc's someone might legitimately have.
Several of my rewards programs (cc's, bank account rewards, survey requests, etc) allow redemption of points for gc's (including Amazon).

I of course have my Amazon Prime card as my primary payment (and a Barclay Rewards card for backup), but I could easily have perhaps 2 to 5 random $25-$100 gc's over the course of a six month period, nowhere near my birthday.

Separately, if I did not have the Amazon credit card, another valid process is to buy legitimate GCs at Target, using their 5% RedCard discount. Perfectly permissible by both Target and Amazon.

That said, in all above scenarios, I would have provenance for each GC, and don't imagine my pattern is unusual or would be cause for concern.

And *I* would be able to answer all advocate questions if I had to make a post like this.
The issues we’ve seen here are not a few cars in small amounts. They are in $500 increments or a bunch of $200 ones are one time.

Every case we’ve had here have been doing something off with the gift cards- where they are coming from and what they are doing with them and in large amounts.

The OP said in his initial post : “And the gift card where given to me by friends and family as gifts on different days some of them have trashed the receipts and cards ... What should I do pls”
to “Pls so what do I do now I bought some giftcards myself and I still got the pictures of the receipt and car”

Twice he’s been asked how much is he talking about and we haven’t gotten an answer.

Mar 14, 2018
The issues we’ve seen here are not a few cars in small amounts. They are in $500 increments or a bunch of $200 ones are one time.

Every case we’ve had here have been doing something off with the gift cards- where they are coming from and what they are doing with them and in large amounts.

The OP said in his initial post : “And the gift card where given to me by friends and family as gifts on different days some of them have trashed the receipts and cards ... What should I do pls”
to “Pls so what do I do now I bought some giftcards myself and I still got the pictures of the receipt and car”

Twice he’s been asked how much is he talking about and we haven’t gotten an answer.

Here's an article that describes how gift cards are used for money laundering: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...-a-money-laundering-loophole/article22194461/

While the posters here may not be doing anything wrong, their usage patterns are similar to those of people trying to avoid financial monitoring. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to get their money back either through Amazon's process or arbitration. But they will likely need to give up their anonymity to do this...

Aug 19, 2018

Twice he’s been asked how much is he talking about and we haven’t gotten an answer
I have about 1855.01