Plenti Rewards Points Denial & Renegging on Customer Service Rep Promises

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 26, 2018
I was owed 7451 Plenti points for 5 Enterprise and Alamo rentals per partner promotions during 2017 and earlier. I carefully worked with Alamo and Enterprise rental car managers during the time of each rental to assure that their computer system successfully received my Plenti account number. Each time a rental car company manager told me it was approved in their system and I would subsequently receive the points. The points never got applied to my account. I turned to Plenti customer service to help resolve the issue. I worked patiently and repeatedly with Plenti customer service representatives, spending many cumulative hours on the phone with them during 2017, and 4 more times over the last 2 months to try to finally receive these outstanding points as promised. Each call I would get a new representative who made me explain the situation all over again from the top. After lengthy conversations, and placing me on holds to check with supervisors, each time I was assured that I would be awarded these points. I was told to wait a week to 10 days or more for their escalation process to complete. After waiting the suggested time frames, I still never received the points to my account, requiring me to call back again. Their Escalation Department repeatedly denied the requests for bogusly incorrect reasons, e.g. claiming my name or address was wrong on the rental contract, which was clearly not the case. I also learned that despite the representatives assuring me they were recording the details of our discussions to my account, when I called back the current representative would claim no record of the prior conversation I had with the previous representative. I gave them the names of the representatives I spoke to, with the day and time of the calls. Each time I requested to speak to a higher level supervisor but was denied the opportunity. My last conversation with them was on 03/16/18. After being told my request was denied again, I was given a first level supervisor. After much spirited deliberation, this supervisor offered me 5000 pts, take it or leave it. I asked to speak to a higher level supervisor and he refused. I then said I would agree to receive the 5000 pts now as partial fulfillment, but he needed to escalate the issue further so I would subsequently receive the remaining 2451 points still owed me, which I had rightfully earned. He refused to do that. My active participation in the Plenti program since its inception apparently meant nothing to him. He told me by escalating the situation further I would likely receive nothing at all, so I should take his offer now while I still had the chance. He threatened to close the case either way on me, despite my insisting this issue wasn’t resolved. I told him this wasn’t Las Vegas; it was not acceptable to gamble away these points after having worked hard to earn them, not to mention the time and energy I invested to get them applied to my account, as well as the assurances made to me by both the rental partners and Plenti customer service representatives. Just as he was about to hang up on me, he pressured me with one last opportunity to accept the 5000 points once and for all or else end up with nothing.

I am seeking consumer advocate help to receive the remaining 2451 points owed to me. This equates to $24.51. Ideally 5000 additional points ($50.00) is more appropriate given all of the Plenti misrepresentations, false promises, poor customer service, and ridiculous amount of my time consumed over many months working with them over a simple issue.

Thank you.

Sep 19, 2015
I am not familiar with the program. I looked at the website and it seems that they want to be contacted by phone or twitter. Were you ever given an address to write to them? I also see that the car rental companies stopped being partners.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Macy’s is also dropping the program.

Point programs are one thing that we don’t advocate. From the FAQ page:

Do you mediate every dispute?

No. Some cases are not solvable. But every complaint is given serious consideration.

Are there any cases you don’t mediate?

Yes. Here’s a partial list:

Airfares that go up after selecting a flight option (caching).
Airline seat comfort issues, including in-flight entertainment systems that don’t work.
Any case involving legal action against a company or customer.
Asking a company to honor an obvious price error.
Car rental damage cases.
Cases submitted on behalf of a third party.
Compensation for delays that resulted in lost vacation or work days.
Getting a refund for a nonrefundable airline ticket or hotel room.
Missing or expired loyalty points.
Recently lost or misplaced luggage.
Visa/passport problems that led to denied boarding.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't know what Plenti points are, but I think you need to find a new loyalty plan. It doesn't sound like they have a clue, nor are they interested in helping you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mar 26, 2018
I am not familiar with the program. I looked at the website and it seems that they want to be contacted by phone or twitter. Were you ever given an address to write to them? I also see that the car rental companies stopped being partners.
Thanks Christina. Yes, the rental car partners ended Dec 31, 2017. Plenti still promised to award points for promotional rentals completed before that, which was my case. Like I stated in my post, I have been working with them all throughout 2017 to get the points awarded. I stepped up the intensity after the announcement was made the rental car companies were going away.

I have not found an address to write to. Plenti offers on their website contact by phone or email via website form. Their number is 1-855-753-6841. This is the number I called to speak to their company representatives. I have tried the website form, but their employees that monitor the written submissions always come back with either "we can't help you" or "you need to call us to resolve this issue." Basically a useless contact option.

Mar 26, 2018
Thanks Christina. Yes, the rental car partners ended Dec 31, 2017. Plenti still promised to award points for promotional rentals completed before that, which was my case. Like I stated in my post, I have been working with them all throughout 2017 to get the points awarded. I stepped up the intensity after the announcement was made the rental car companies were going away.

I have not found an address to write to. Plenti offers on their website contact by phone or email via website form. Their number is 1-855-753-6841. This is the number I called to speak to their company representatives. I have tried the website form, but their employees that monitor the written submissions always come back with either "we can't help you" or "you need to call us to resolve this issue." Basically a useless contact option.

No. Some cases are not solvable. But every complaint is given serious consideration.

Airline seat comfort issues, including in-flight entertainment systems that don’t work.
Car rental damage cases.

Thank you Neil. I am fully aware about Macy's dropping the program. Apparently it didn't work to increase their business. I'm not Surprised because they only offered 0.5 cents per dollar purchased.

This is a case of missing loyalty points so i contacted you.

Mar 26, 2018

Car rental damage cases.
To clarify, each partner set their own points structure. Exxon Mobil is excellent about immediately awarding points after a gas station visit. RiteAid was also very generous with their Plenti offers each week, and th epoints were applied immediately. Macy's offers of Plenti points were negligible so it didn't attract new customers because of it. The rental car partners offered promos of $10 to $20 per rental but Plenti always made it difficult to get those applied to your account. When i spoke to the rental car company managers, they were excited about the Plenti program. Two completely different stories, and Plenti always blaming it on the car company.

Mar 26, 2018
Apparently many of the retailers pulled out of the program, including car rental companies:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2018/macys-plenti-card-loyalty-program/amp/

http://www.thewisemarketer.com/channels/coalition-loyalty-marketing/partners-leave-plenti/

Have you escalated this to AmEx? It’s their program. We have contacts for AmEx on our Company Contacts Page.
I didi't know Amex owned the program. I thought the program was owned by RiteAid. Thanks.

Mar 26, 2018
Apparently many of the retailers pulled out of the program, including car rental companies:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2018/macys-plenti-card-loyalty-program/amp/

http://www.thewisemarketer.com/channels/coalition-loyalty-marketing/partners-leave-plenti/

Have you escalated this to AmEx? It’s their program. We have contacts for AmEx on our Company Contacts Page.
This is not Amex's program. I just researched it online. They are independent. Amex discontinued their relationship as a partner with Plenti last month. It was only a points transfer relationship and a credit card earning Plenti points as an alternative to Membership Reward points.

Jul 27, 2016
This is not Amex's program. I just researched it online. They are independent. Amex discontinued their relationship as a partner with Plenti last month. It was only a points transfer relationship and a credit card earning Plenti points as an alternative to Membership Reward points.
Amex created Plenti in 2015, but they definitely seem to be in the process of either de-emphasizing it or shutting it down entirely. What leads you to believe Plenti is independent of Amex?

The Plenti T&C's state "Plenti is a rewards program operated by American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. (referred to as “Plenti” or “we” or “us”)." https://www.plenti.com/terms

Mar 26, 2018
Amex created Plenti in 2015, but they definitely seem to be in the process of either de-emphasizing it or shutting it down entirely. What leads you to believe Plenti is independent of Amex?

The Plenti T&C's state "Plenti is a rewards program operated by American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. (referred to as “Plenti” or “we” or “us”)." https://www.plenti.com/terms
Thank you for discovering that. I searched the American Express contacts on the Company Contacts page but am unsure which one to use. Which do you suggest I go with?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Start at Customer Service and go up the chain. The first page of company contacts tells you how to write effectively.

Unfortunately, loyalty point programs are one of the few things that we do not get involved with so hopefully the letter writing with get you some answers.

Car rental damage cases.