Please help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 22, 2019
I booked a trip to Nimibia, business class for my husband and myself at $4,078 per person Nov 1-9. I received a confirmation number but never received a confirmation email. When I called the airline to ask why, they switched me from Iberia to Comair on the Johannesburg to Namibia leg and the rate changed to $4,309 per person. The explanation was that the Iberia flight couldn’t be confirmed.

The lower rate option with the Iberia flight available to book is still on the website, so why if it’s not available? The representative that changed the flight told me that this was my only option and to write to AA customer service about the change in fare , which is what I did, but the disappointing response is BELOW.

The difference for the two of us is $462. The money is substantial but the principle is as important to me. Please tell me what to do…!

I tried to attach but the attachments are apparently too large:
... The trip I originally booked at $4078 round trip, printed off just today as still available to book at this price
... The changed booking confirmed at $4309, same Locator # as my original booking Kxxxxx

Edited by a moderator to remove booking number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Who did you book it with? Directly through the airline or through an online agency?

If you didn't receive a confirmed ticket and your credit card was never charged, you never had a confirmed booking. You should call whoever you booked it through and have them do it over the phone.

Jul 13, 2016
It sounds like your tickets were never charged to your credit card. As Neil asked, with whom did you book? It doesn't seem like you booked directly with the airline. Certain online agencies do not have real tickets to sell (called live inventory), but instead show flight schedules and then once you agree to the tickets they try to buy them from the airlines.

May 22, 2019
I booked on American Airlines website and received a confirmation number. I checked the confirmation number after realizing I didn't get a confirmation email and found it was pending. I called and was switched to a higher price (the lower price flight is still shown on the website). The AA customer service person told me to send an email to get a refund, but when doing so it was refused saying they couldn't confirm the Iberia leg. If it's not available, why is it still on the website as a viable alternative?

Sep 19, 2015
Who and how did you book?

No matter what the flight is operated by Comair. Iberia does not fly their own metal on that route.

The Iberia code share price may show up on the website of another airline, but may not be available.

I have had this problem before with code shares. The operating carrier, in this case, Comair, has to approve the rate; you may be seeing a phantom availability -- in that it shows up but is not available as the computers have not updated with each other. The computers are different systems.

I have gotten emails a day later saying that my flights (with code shares) could not be confirmed..... so my option was to book a different flight or pay the rate that could be confirmed. -- And this is booking with the carrier.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I booked on American Airlines website and received a confirmation number. I checked the confirmation number after realizing I didn't get a confirmation email and found it was pending. I called and was switched to a higher price (the lower price flight is still shown on the website). The AA customer service person told me to send an email to get a refund, but when doing so it was refused saying they couldn't confirm the Iberia leg. If it's not available, why is it still on the website as a viable alternative?
Did they actually charge your credit card? Are you sure you booked at aa.com? There are several look alike sites that may not be the actual airline website.

When you book a ticket, you get an initial confirmation but you also need an email with ticket numbers once the tickets have been issued. If you read the confirmation you received it usually tells you that. If they are using code share flights they have to wait for the other airline to approve the charges and flights. Apparently the other airline is not honoring the pricing.

Have you called AA and asked why they can’t book the price they are showing on the website?

May 22, 2019
I've talked to American Airlines representatives about this and also send emails. I ONLY used the American Airlines website to book the original flight and have only communicated with them about it. My credit card was not charged until I called to find out why the booking was pending. My problem with American is why the less expensive flight using Iberia for the leg between Johannesburg and Namibia is still on their website as available if it can't be confirmed. In other words, someone else will book this flight on American Airlines website at the lower price and have the same problem as me (feels like a bait and switch!)

Sep 19, 2015
Because it is a code share it is not operated by Iberia it is operated by Comair and Comair has a different computer system. AA does not have live pricing .

This is not unheard of — unfortunately.

May 7, 2019
Very true. Last month I booked a low-cost codeshare flight to Southeast Asia through AA, which was to fly me to LAX, where I would then board a Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong. My reservation was labeled “pending” for approximately 24 hours until Cathay Pacific confirmed. The air-travel world is filled with such annoying little idiosyncrasies.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There may be a computer glitch on AAs site that is causing a price they the code share airline won’t honor. If you aren’t given a confirmation with issued ticket numbers then you don’t have a ticket.

You can use our company contacts and write to the Executives at AA and tell them the website shows the ticket price still available and ask why it’s still there if it’s not honored.

If they can’t give you an answer, file a complaint with the DOT about AA not selling you the ticket at the price shown on their website.

When you called and told them you see the same pricing on the website what do they say?

Have you tried going to Iberia Airlines website to buy?

Sep 19, 2015
It is not underheard of that with a flight operated by a partner that 24 hours is needed to confirm the ticket and price.

the Iberia code share flight is not available. COMAIR uses a different system and the computers are not updated in real time.

I have had this problem with other airlines.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There are many obstacles possible when booking code--share flights. My colleagues have explained it all quite well. There's no "bait and switch", it's a factor of different computer systems and lack of communication from the booking airline. The airlines would like us to believe that all this code-share/partner-airline/alliance stuff is for our benefit. But often it is not. Airlines are telling us one thing but reality is another, as you have just experienced. It has always seemed to me that airlines have a theory about booking seats on each other's planes. Perhaps they think if they offer service to enough locations they can take over the whole world market. They may think that they can entice more people to book with them while ignoring the competition.

I'm glad you caught this early on ... we've heard from people who never confirmed anything and arrived at the airport to find no seats on the plane.

May 22, 2019
After writing to American Airlines customer service manager listed on your site and getting no reply, I finally found someone who issued a credit to the ticket for the difference in price. Sean Bentel, VP of Customer Relations replied quickly and referred my issue to someone who called me, understood the problem and issued a credit. Persistence pays off!

Apr 1, 2018
The Iberia website is notoriously bad and a major problem is with failure to process payments. It has happened to me several times. One must monitor their charge card account to see that the payment was processed. If not, call the airline immediately and they can get the payment information over the phone and process the charge.

I stick with Iberia because they are one of only two airlines that offer direct flights to where I need to go and, other than the website problems, things have worked pretty well once aboard.