Please help me,my account have over 3300 dollar gift card balance but be closed

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
So is there any other way I can get the balance back now?
You can email the customer service contacts one at a time starting at the first person and waiting one week between and plead your case for the return of your balance. Realize that the gift cards you used may have already been used and then sold to you with no available funds so there may be no balance that Amazon has in the account. This is a common scam.
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/amazon/

You can also try contacting them on Facebook or Twitter.

Nov 16, 2018
You can email the customer service contacts one at a time starting at the first person and waiting one week between and plead your case for the return of your balance. Realize that the gift cards you used may have already been used and then sold to you with no available funds so there may be no balance that Amazon has in the account. This is a common scam.

This seller and I have been very familiar, I believe that there will be no case of stolen gift cards

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
However, I have all the physical pictures and receipts of gift cards, and I successfully re-opened my account by sending them when my account was closed for the first time. However, amazon did not seem to give me this opportunity, and they did not give me any reply to all the emails I sent to ask about my account
It doesn't matter. You didn't buy it through an authorized retailer. The seller isn't permited to resell those cards. You bought a resold card which isn't permitted. You need to go back to the person who sold it to you and tell them that they illegally resold the gift cards and you want your money back. You were ripped off by the seller. You might want to send that information to Amazon so they can watch the seller and see if they are illegally selling any more of them. Amazon doesn't permit resale of these and when you sent them the information they were able to verify you were not the original purchaser.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
No, they don't have a 500 value gift card. If I asked them to buy a 500 value gift card, it would be a commission purchase rather than a resale
Your posts are inconsistent, confusing and contradictory. You have said you purchased gift cards on TaoBao, you have said you did not but " I would entrust the seller to buy the gift card from the us ". You need to construct a consistent and coherent narrative with all of the facts clearly and correctly stated and email to Amazon customer service. If your narrative to Amazon is like your narrative on this forum your chances of success are very small. Also be aware that the cards you "bought" or didn't buy may have had NO value at all.

Nov 16, 2018

Will it work?

Nov 16, 2018
Your posts are inconsistent, confusing and contradictory. You have said you purchased gift cards on TaoBao, you have said you did not but " I would entrust the seller to buy the gift card from the us ". You need to construct a consistent and coherent narrative with all of the facts clearly and correctly stated and email to Amazon customer service. If your narrative to Amazon is like your narrative on this forum your chances of success are very small. Also be aware that the cards you "bought" or didn't buy may have had NO value at all.
Because taobao has a large number of daigou sellers in the United States, in fact, generally speaking, it is also bought on taobao......

Nov 16, 2018
It doesn't matter. You didn't buy it through an authorized retailer. The seller isn't permited to resell those cards. You bought a resold card which isn't permitted. You need to go back to the person who sold it to you and tell them that they illegally resold the gift cards and you want your money back. You were ripped off by the seller. You might want to send that information to Amazon so they can watch the seller and see if they are illegally selling any more of them. Amazon doesn't permit resale of these and when you sent them the information they were able to verify you were not the original purchaser.
Would it help to get the gift card balance back? ......

Mar 14, 2018
If I understand your story correctly, you purchased $3300 of physical gift cards on a Chinese online marketplace. These cards had been purchased by the seller from retail stores in the United States and then brought back into China.

You should know that the seller almost certainly violated US laws that restrict export of monetary instruments as well as money laundering laws. These laws are in place to prevent criminals from using the proceeds from fraud, extortion and other crimes. That's also why Amazon doesn't allow gift cads to be resold. When Amazon detects US gift cards have been exported to overseas accounts, they shut down all the accounts involved.

Your best chance is to try to get your funds back from the seller. If Taobao offers any kind of buyer protection, you should take advantage of it immediately. Another option would be to dispute the purchase on your credit card if you used one. Or take legal action against the seller in China.

Otherwise, you can try using arbitration as Neil posted earlier. But given that the seller definitely violated Amazon's terms and likely violated US law by his actions, I think this is unlikely to work.

Nov 16, 2018
If I understand your story correctly, you purchased $3300 of physical gift cards on a Chinese online marketplace. These cards had been purchased by the seller from retail stores in the United States and then brought back into China.

You should know that the seller almost certainly violated US laws that restrict export of monetary instruments as well as money laundering laws. These laws are in place to prevent criminals from using the proceeds from fraud, extortion and other crimes. That's also why Amazon doesn't allow gift cads to be resold. When Amazon detects US gift cards have been exported to overseas accounts, they shut down all the accounts involved.

Your best chance is to try to get your funds back from the seller. If Taobao offers any kind of buyer protection, you should take advantage of it immediately. Another option would be to dispute the purchase on your credit card if you used one. Or take legal action against the seller in China.

Otherwise, you can try using arbitration as Neil posted earlier. But given that the seller definitely violated Amazon's terms and likely violated US law by his actions, I think this is unlikely to work.
So there's no other way to deal with it?

Mar 14, 2018
So there's no other way to deal with it?
Well, you've already said that Amazon isn't responding to your letters, so I don't think there is.

There is tremendous government regulation and pressure on prepaid card issuers to prevent them from being used to anonymously transfer money overseas. Because of this, Amazon acts aggressively to crack down on this practice.

Sometimes, legitimate transactions may inadvertently be flagged, and writing/arbitration may restore an account or funds. In your case, however, the actions by the person who sold you the cards are unlikely to be legitimate.

I'm sorry that you've been innocently caught up in this. For all intents and purposes, the person who sold you the cards defrauded you. Your best (and perhaps only) chance is to take action against them.

Sep 19, 2015

The US laws require declaration above $10,000-- there is no limit to the amount that come in and go out of the US, it just has to be declared. So it is a little bit of a stretch to claim the seller "almost certainly violated US laws that restrict export of monetary instruments".

The problem may be that the gift cards were cloned and once activated, already spent before the OP got them. There are so many ways that people steal the gift card.

IGAGE was the seller really a daigou, ie overseas? Where did the daigou get the cards.

Mar 14, 2018
The US laws require declaration above $10,000-- there is no limit to the amount that come in and go out of the US, it just has to be declared. So it is a little bit of a stretch to claim the seller "almost certainly violated US laws that restrict export of monetary instruments".

The problem may be that the gift cards were cloned and once activated, already spent before the OP got them. There are so many ways that people steal the gift card.

IGAGE was the seller really a daigou, ie overseas? Where did the daigou get the cards.
Well, obviously we don't know. The OP has told us that this person went to US retail stores, bought thousands of dollars of gift cards at retail stores and then sold them on international marketplaces. I suppose it's remotely possible that the seller is legitimate and declaring these transactions, but I sincerely doubt it.

This is an extremely common mechanism to transfer illegally obtained funds out of the US. The posters with this issue are almost always international. If the underlying issue were cloning, we'd see a lot of these from the US as well.

Prepaid card issuers have sophisticated confidential algorithms to detect these activities which is why they refuse to communicate with people who are caught. The FFIEC has a nice writeup on this issue. If you read through the due diligence and mitigation requirements, you'll recognize a lot of the situations we see here.

Nov 16, 2018
Well, you've already said that Amazon isn't responding to your letters, so I don't think there is.

There is tremendous government regulation and pressure on prepaid card issuers to prevent them from being used to anonymously transfer money overseas. Because of this, Amazon acts aggressively to crack down on this practice.

Sometimes, legitimate transactions may inadvertently be flagged, and writing/arbitration may restore an account or funds. In your case, however, the actions by the person who sold you the cards are unlikely to be legitimate.

I'm sorry that you've been innocently caught up in this. For all intents and purposes, the person who sold you the cards defrauded you. Your best (and perhaps only) chance is to take action against them.
However, if I want to take action in China, I also need the invalid certificate of the gift card provided by amazon, otherwise, I can't apply for any compensation for this matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.