Please Help! Amazon Did it to me too!!! Closed Account Kept 200 Bal.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
LOL, yea, I admit it. she and I and another did this. Now she just uses the Amazon Household agreement to link our accounts and we split the cost 3 ways.

We're all legit now
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200444180

I now log on to, and purchase from, my own account, and benefit from the prime membership that she linked to my Amazon account, legitimately.
I didn't know about this and I think
I am going to sign my wife up for mine. Thanks for posting it.

Feb 9, 2016
@Ty Osburn I'm going to be straight up legit with you right now......

If this gift card was purchased or connected in any way with Bitcoin, then it seems that the bitcoin seller duped you and Amazon considers this a fraudulent (stolen) gift card.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1158954.0

Amazon probably wont tell you this because they would essentially be accusing you of theft, and they aren't going to do that. They are just going to tell you that you violated some terms and conditions with your order and be completely non responsive.

If the card was purchased using bitcoin, your beef is with the bitcoin seller for providing you a bogus card number/code.

If it wasn't purchased with bitcoin, get the receipts and proof of payment for the gift card, and email those to Amazon on that same email address. That might help you.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't know that we can offer any more assistance to our writer since Amazon has not talked to Elliott in the past.

I really suggest that you file a complaint with the Attorney General in your state.
If the AG gets enough complaints about this practice they may end up opening an
investigation into Amazons practices if they are unlawfully taking legitimate balances and not refunding them.

Ty, please try that and let us know the outcome.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
My friend signed 2 of us up so you can extend to another(?) if you want.
I've been on my son's account for years.
I have used my daughter's card, while logged on to my account, to purchase items she wants and the items are sent to her home. I add her card to my profile and then use it for the purchase.
I have several cards in my amazon profile as some items I purchase are for business entities that we own.
No problems.
The only thing it doesn't do is give me access to Amazon Prime movies and tv on my Roku. Son is the only one who gets that. He could give me his email and password but I think he has given it to other relatives and has run out of users. It's ok, I have lots of other options.
I love the free shipping I get with all my purchases.
Never have had a complaint with amazon, they have always given me great customer service. They even have a pick up center only a couple of miles away from my downtown Denver home so I can go pick up orders same day if I need it.

Feb 9, 2016
I've been on my son's account for years.
I have used my daughter's card, while logged on to my account, to purchase items she wants and the items are sent to her home. I add her card to my profile and then use it for the purchase.
I have several cards in my amazon profile as some items I purchase are for business entities that we own.
No problems.
The only thing it doesn't do is give me access to Amazon Prime movies and tv on my Roku. Son is the only one who gets that. He could give me his email and password but I think he has given it to other relatives and has run out of users. It's ok, I have lots of other options.
I love the free shipping I get with all my purchases.
Never have had a complaint with amazon, they have always given me great customer service. They even have a pick up center only a couple of miles away from my downtown Denver home so I can go pick up orders same day if I need it.
@mmb are you on your sons account via amazon household? If he hasn't run out of invites, that WILL give you access to movie & streaming content. if you haven't checked it out, google it.

You seem to be doing the same thing i was mentioning before, that's why I don't think LWs issue had anything to do with the alternative form of payment. Unless the credit card was stolen (which isn't the case per the LW) it must be the gift card that is the issue. Hopefully the LW will come back and tell us exactly how this GC was acquired so we can start to understand WTF is going on with these GC scenarios. I'm def curious about all of them.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
@mmb are you on your sons account via amazon household? If he hasn't run out of invites, that WILL give you access to movie & streaming content. if you haven't checked it out, google it.
@sas80 -THANKS and yes I guess it's household, and again yes, he has probably already used all of his invites (wife's cousin, etc) so it's really not a big deal for us. I have Comcast in Naples, DirecTV in Denver, Hulu and Netflix so I don't feel TV deprived!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I didn't know about this and I think
I am going to sign my wife up for mine. Thanks for posting it.
Neil, you can join your wife's account bc there's a household option. The same with MMB and her son. That's ok and not at all what was mentioned before. Sharing an account with a friend you don't live with as another advocate recommended is theft of services and anti- consumer. All of us pay higher prices when people steal services from companies. That would be like siphoning cable or giving someone a gym id in your name to use at another location and splitting the membership with them.

That is theft and it is a big deal. We are not talking about stealing bread to feed your child. This is the grossest kind. It is stealing a semi luxury and unnecessary service by someone who can purportedly afford to pay. It's greedy and harms every consumer who plays fair. It's actually worse than what the 3rd party gift card people do. Eventually they will have their "account" closed but will just move on to stealing from Netflix or something. These people are directly responsible for every inconvenience that an innocent consumer faces. A legit cancer patient gets denied a refund bc too many liars used that excuse.

Feb 9, 2016
Interesting. Regular banking accounts get flagged as money laundering when people wire money to purchase bitcoin. I wonder if retailers are concerned about money laundering when these gift cards are bought with bitcoin, and used.

Regardless, my first question on these gift card posts will be "did you, or someone else, purchase this gift card using bitcoin?"

Wish LW would come back and let us know if they did or not.......