Picking up and Returning Rental Car at Night

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 28, 2018
Are there any additional strategies that can be used at night when trip schedule requires picking up and returning a rental car at night? Parking areas are usually dimly lit which makes seeing vehicle issues and picture taking very difficult.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Use the flashlight on your cell phone to take pictures or video of the entire car- we do it all the time. The works in dim light. I shine my flashlight while my wife videotapes but we’ve also done it fine by ourselves.

If you are dropping off the car when the agency is closed, remember you are still responsible for that car until it’s checked in the next day. If someone smashes into it in the middle of the night- it’s still your responsibility.

Sep 19, 2015
If I was doing an after hours drop off I would consider the cost of all the damage waivers — even if you get good lighting in — as an example — an airport garage — and document the car with no damage — as Neil pointed out anything can happen and the renter is responsible until the car is checked in.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@jrkyaker If it was me and the rental isn't too long, pay for the CDW. This week I picked up a car in the pouring rain which would have made it miserable to video the car and hard to see any scratches. I bought the bullet and paid the $50 for the insurance.