Phony toll charge on car rental

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 20, 2018
WE rented a car from Budget for the month of March in Sarasota, FL. A week ago,mid=May, we received notice that we had inciurred a toll charge of 99¢ in Orlando on March 12. Unless we could show documention from a credit card that we had been elsewhere on that date, we would be charged their (outrageous!!!) daily toll fee for the month. We couldn't. We had been nowhere NEAR Orlando at any time, nor had we used any toll roads. Ultimately, my husband settled for $3. 75 for them to do the "paperwork". The contact was listed for Budget as:
Email: eCare@htallc.com| Website: www.htallc.com This is a total scam, I think.

Apr 8, 2019
The only toll roads I know of near SRQ is the entrance to Alligator Alley to the south and the Skyway Bridge to the north. Did you perhaps use either of these toll booths and Florida Transportation Cabinet miscode the toll?

Dec 19, 2014
There are no toll roads in the immediate Sarasota area. The rental car company should be able to identify the exact toll booth that you went through. I just went through 3 months worth of Sunpass invoices and can't find any that is exactly $0.99.

If you already settled for $3.75, I would let it go.

Aug 13, 2016
WE rented a car from Budget for the month of March in Sarasota, FL. A week ago,mid=May, we received notice that we had inciurred a toll charge of 99¢ in Orlando on March 12. Unless we could show documention from a credit card that we had been elsewhere on that date, we would be charged their (outrageous!!!) daily toll fee for the month. We couldn't. We had been nowhere NEAR Orlando at any time, nor had we used any toll roads. Ultimately, my husband settled for $3. 75 for them to do the "paperwork". The contact was listed for Budget as:
Email: eCare@htallc.com| Website: www.htallc.com This is a total scam, I think.
I had one of those in Denver last fall with Avis. A toll charge can through for e470 which runs north and east of the city and I was south of Denver at that time. Avis removed the charge. As with many things, it pays to check your statements.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I had one of those in Denver last fall with Avis. A toll charge can through for e470 which runs north and east of the city and I was south of Denver at that time. Avis removed the charge. As with many things, it pays to check your statements.
I had a toll charge on a Denver road on which I was never even near on the day of the supposed use. Just paid it as it was less than $5 and so not worth the time it would take me to figure it out. Hate that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I probably would have done the same thing but I wonder how much money these toll places make on people that just pay it and not fight it. You have to determine how much your time is worth. If you could prove with other charges on your credit card statement that you were not in the area, I am sure you could get a refund.

Dec 19, 2014
With regards to Denver and E470, the toll charges are sometimes posted days or even weeks after the toll is "collected." Since it is a rental, you won't be able to see the invoice, but I have seen invoices billed on my account up to 5 weeks after the trip.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
With regards to Denver and E470, the toll charges are sometimes posted days or even weeks after the toll is "collected." Since it is a rental, you won't be able to see the invoice, but I have seen invoices billed on my account up to 5 weeks after the trip.
mine is not a rental. I own the car. we have a 2nd home downtown Denver. it was posted as taking place sun eve and we know we never went anywhere at all in the car that day, but no credit card purchases at the time to prove otherwise. as I said, under $5 not worth my time.