Pet dies

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 14, 2015
As I have an elderly pet who occasionally gets ill, and will pass eventually, I've been looking for travel insurance that would cover me if I need to cancel to attend to him, either his death or his sudden sickness. Is anyone aware of travel insurance policies which consider pet sickness or death an accepted reason for cancellation? I've checked with several and none seem to cover it.

Dec 19, 2014
I am not aware of any insurance that will cover a pet death. The only insurance that would cover such a scenario would be a CFAR (cancel for any reason) policy. But there are limited payouts and you still have to cancel within the allowable time prior to departure.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The only policy that will cover this is a Cancel for Any Reason policy. But you will not receive a 100% refund - a CFAR policy usually only reimburses you between 70 - 85% back depending on the policy and they cost about 30% more than a regular travel policy. Some only reimburse in travel credits. So you need to carefully review the policy you buy.

Sep 19, 2015
GLPjr I once looked at cancel for any reason insurance -- the policy available to me reimbursed 75% and I would have had to cancel the trip 48 hours before departure.

Squaremouth has an article on pet illness and they report that none of the US policies cover sickness of pets and they mention CFAR insurance.

Feb 4, 2019
My Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi has Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection for the Traveler's Pet(s):

The following is a Covered Reason:
"The Covered Traveler’s Pet, has an injury or serious illness
that is either life threatening or requires care and is verified by a
licensed veterinarian. Pet(s) means any domesticated or tamed
animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately"

My Citi Dividend American Express Card does NOT have this benefit. It looks like it was discontinued on this card on 07/29/2018.