Personal Liability on car rentals abroad

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 7, 2018
I am trying to obtain information before my wife and I leave on our trip in August. We are going to Ireland and Scotland. We are paying for the car with a major credit card since it has the CDW. After doing some research and reading I believe many people believe if they use their credit card or take the CDW from the car company abroad they also have personal liability. That is not the case. So far I have been unable to find a way to obtain personal liability when renting a car in Ireland or Scotland. Even AAA tried to persuade me to sign up for their credit card telling me the personal liability was there. I became very suspicious as to how they could have it and not my major bank card. I checked and as I suspected theirs doesn't cover personal liability either. Now obviously I don't plan on using this I just want to be protected and enjoy the trip. Any suggestions on where to look for this coverage?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are correct - there is usually no personal liability on credit card insurance. And Ireland requires their own insurance - your credit card insurance may not even be able to be used in Ireland. When I travel in Europe and rent, I buy the insurance right through the car rental company and get the CDW. It is not worth having to find out after something happens that you didn't have adequate insurance.

Mar 7, 2018
You are correct - there is usually no personal liability on credit card insurance. And Ireland requires their own insurance - your credit card insurance may not even be able to be used in Ireland. When I travel in Europe and rent, I buy the insurance right through the car rental company and get the CDW. It is not worth having to find out after something happens that you didn't have adequate insurance.
Thank you so much Neil...you are the first person that has given me an answer I am looking for. Is this the same policy in Scotland too? This is our stop after Ireland.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yup, Jeffrey, it's a moot point. In places like Ireland and Scotland, it's just good sense to buy the rental company's coverage, even if it's not required. The lanes are so narrow and lined with monster trees & bushes and filled with enormous lorries thundering around the corner at you, there's no way you can rent a vehicle and return it in pristine condition. The first time we drove in Ireland, I wished that I knew about vehicle body work so I could open a business in Ireland repainting rental cars.

For "regular rentals" I use my Chase card and AAA (my auto insurer) will cover me driving any vehicle. At least I always thought so. I read something on the dec page of the most recent renewal that makes me wonder so I need to check the policy carefully. Since we ran around Europe for 30 years without any health insurance (I had no idea that it often doesn't cover you out of the country - thank you Elliott!) so I guess renting rental cars without any liability would be par for the course. Grand kudos to you for checking all this out BEFORE there's an issue!