Paypal help with counterfeit item

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 5, 2018
Has anyone had success with getting a refund from paypal when a counterfeit item has been bought via ebay. I have filed a claim with paypal and submitted the requested documentation- including proof that the item was counterfeit. I am not getting a lot of support from paypal. I actually feel like they are giving me the runaround.

Dec 5, 2018
Ebay says is out of their hands since the purchase was made in July. There is a longer window of claims with paypal.

I get conflicting messages from paypal. Send this doc to this email. Then I get a robo email that tells me I shouldn't have done that. To use the resolution center. The case is not in the resolution center. Or the email bounces back as bad. All of this after I have been on hold for HOURS with paypal

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you use our PayPal contacts ONE AT A TIME, leaving a week in between each letter? If you actually purchased this in July - when did you contact PayPal? There is always a time limit to when you can file a claim - if you miss that - this is what can happen. if you notified them right away - different story.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
i assume you contacted the seller as soon as you realized the item was counterfeit and I believe the seller had 20 to work in a resolution. What did the seller say when you contacted him or her?

What date did you file the claim? It takes time for them to go to the seller first and then review your documents. But if you didn’t follow our process and start at the bottom of the executive list and wait a week in between letters, that may be why you haven’t heard anything. How did you write- did you write all the Executives at once and include the attachments? That can cause your email to go into spam.

Dec 5, 2018
eBay would not give me the sellers contact info as too much time had passed. I started with one letter to one executive, then all three got letters. No attachments. It was more of a complaint of how I was being treated by customer service. I asked on the day I filed what documents they would need. They refused to tell me. Then every few days I would get an email telling me we need this, then another email, we need that. I asked yesterday if the seller responded and they said no.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
You really do have to give them time to process this claim. I don’t see any dates or time frame for when you filed the claim.
I understand you want this settled in your favor and it is nerve wracking to wait, but that is truly what you need to do.
Let the process happen.
I have had a couple of claims over the past 20+ years and I have prevailed because they were legitimate.
So please be patient.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
eBay would not give me the sellers contact info as too much time had passed. I started with one letter to one executive, then all three got letters. No attachments. It was more of a complaint of how I was being treated by customer service. I asked on the day I filed what documents they would need. They refused to tell me. Then every few days I would get an email telling me we need this, then another email, we need that. I asked yesterday if the seller responded and they said no.
Why didn’t you contact the seller through eBay? You have access to the seller through the transaction and the contact the seller links in the sale. That’s always your first step- you need to ask the seller to let you return the item.

Why did you wait so long? In deference to the seller you had the time to buy a counterfeit item and then try to scam the seller by claiming his item was counterfeit and trying to return the counterfeit item to the seller for a refund. This is why there is a limit in time to contact the seller and put in a claim.