Payless Refuses to Rent Without Buying Their Insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
On Saturday July 6th, 2019 at San Diego Int'l Airport, Payless refused to rent me a car that I had reserved online when I declined their LDW coverage. It appears my mistake was telling them I purchased rental car insurance from Allianz because the agent printed out the Allianz contract to explain to me how it was a ripoff and how Payless would offer me better coverage for the same price, and even cancel my Allianz policy. When I said no, the agent then demanded that I provide him proof of my personal auto insurance. Of course my proof of insurance was back in my personal vehicle which was parked at BWI Airport. He handed my my driver's license and credit card back and refused to rent to me. I walked next door to Hertz and declined their coverage, and did not mention Allianz. They rented a vehicle to me with no questions asked. This news should be revealed to both Payless and Allianz because it is a problem.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Payless is the bottom of the barrel for rentals. You are probably lucky they did not give you a car.

Does your credit card provide rental car coverage? If not, you might look into getting a card (there are many) that provides PRIMARY rental coverage for damage to the rental car. With such a card and your personal auto insurance, you are well covered and can decline all rental agency insurance.
You may wish to keep a copy of your auto rental policy first page in your cell phone.
https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-tips/categories/car-rental-insurance

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Payless’s website states that some locations may require a copy of your auto insurance policy:

Protections & Coverages
Personal Auto Insurance

Every Payless car is rented on the assumption that your personal auto policy will cover all liability claims for injuries to others that you cause. This keeps our costs down and we pass that savings on to you in the form of competitive prices. Some Payless locations require you to present written proof of auto liability and physical damage insurance coverage. Proof should include the name and address of the insurer and the policy number. Rental may be denied if you do not present the required proof of insurance coverage. Please refer to individual location policy: Keyword: LIABILITY INSURANCE

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I also do the same. If I have an accident, I need to be able to produce it for the police. If I am using my credit card policy I also bring a paper copy of that as well .
Other options:
photograph the insurance card or front page of the policy on your phone
store the info in the cloud (Dropbox or other cloud storage)
keep a copy on your laptop

May 1, 2018
Other options:
photograph the insurance card or front page of the policy on your phone
store the info in the cloud (Dropbox or other cloud storage)
keep a copy on your laptop
Yet another option is to download you insurance company's phone app and always have an up-to-date insurance card available at your fingertips. Digital insurance cards are considered valid as proof of insurance by law everywhere in the US except New Mexico where it's up to officer discretion. http://www.pciaa.net/industry-issues/e-commerce

On Saturday July 6th, 2019 at San Diego Int'l Airport, Payless refused to rent me a car that I had reserved online when I declined their LDW coverage. It appears my mistake was telling them I purchased rental car insurance from Allianz because the agent printed out the Allianz contract to explain to me how it was a ripoff and how Payless would offer me better coverage for the same price, and even cancel my Allianz policy. When I said no, the agent then demanded that I provide him proof of my personal auto insurance. Of course my proof of insurance was back in my personal vehicle which was parked at BWI Airport. He handed my my driver's license and credit card back and refused to rent to me. I walked next door to Hertz and declined their coverage, and did not mention Allianz. They rented a vehicle to me with no questions asked. This news should be revealed to both Payless and Allianz because it is a problem.
Payless is the bottom of the barrel for rentals. You are probably lucky they did not give you a car.

Does your credit card provide rental car coverage? If not, you might look into getting a card (there are many) that provides PRIMARY rental coverage for damage to the rental car. With such a card and your personal auto insurance, you are well covered and can decline all rental agency insurance.
You may wish to keep a copy of your auto rental policy first page in your cell phone.
https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-tips/categories/car-rental-insurance
Certainly my AmEx card offers rental car coverage...however, that isn't the issue. In my opinion, the fact that I told Payless that I was using Allianz insurance instead of theirs prompted the agent to invoke the seldom used "proof of insurance" clause. Of course I will never rent from Payless again, but I also recommend that anyone renting a car who pays for third party insurance, such as Allainz, that they not mention that at the rental counter.

Yet another option is to download you insurance company's phone app and always have an up-to-date insurance card available at your fingertips. Digital insurance cards are considered valid as proof of insurance by law everywhere in the US except New Mexico where it's up to officer discretion. http://www.pciaa.net/industry-issues/e-commerce
Good advice on keeping some sort of copy of one's auto insurance card available at all times. And another option is to never rent from Payless...!!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Certainly my AmEx card offers rental car coverage...however, that isn't the issue. In my opinion, the fact that I told Payless that I was using Allianz insurance instead of theirs prompted the agent to invoke the seldom used "proof of insurance" clause. Of course I will never rent from Payless again, but I also recommend that anyone renting a car who pays for third party insurance, such as Allainz, that they not mention that at the rental counter.
Why pay for other insurance if you have Amex

I happen to agree with you - I think the Manager did what he did because you told him you had the other insurance. I would use our company contacts and bring that to the attention of the executives at Payless.
I guess I need to decide if I care enough about Payless, whom I'll not use again, to bring it up. It would seem that Allianz would be more interested that Payless agents are actively dissing their policy...and ask them if what Payless said is really true.

May 1, 2018
I've been told that it is much easier to deal with accidents under Allianz's insurance than AmEx's rental car insurance...and the coverage limits are higher. If those are not true...please let me know.
I've used Amex's premium rental car coverage (the one that costs ~$25/rental) for years now and have always had good luck with it. I've made 3 claims so far (all minor damage) and it's been quick and easy every time. I generally like to rent full-size SUVs so I go for the $25 option that covers up to $100k in property damage I believe.

I've used Amex's premium rental car coverage (the one that costs ~$25/rental) for years now and have always had good luck with it. I've made 3 claims so far (all minor damage) and it's been quick and easy every time. I generally like to rent full-size SUVs so I go for the $25 option that covers up to $100k in property damage I believe.
That is great advice...thank you for the suggestion.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I guess I need to decide if I care enough about Payless, whom I'll not use again, to bring it up. It would seem that Allianz would be more interested that Payless agents are actively dissing their policy...and ask them if what Payless said is really true.
Allianz doesn't care who take it or not. Remember, their aim is NOT to pay a claim so I don't think they would care if a car rental company accepts their insurance or not. They only care about whether you have an accident or not.

Mar 20, 2019
Payless’s website states that some locations may require a copy of your auto insurance policy:

Protections & Coverages
Personal Auto Insurance

Every Payless car is rented on the assumption that your personal auto policy will cover all liability claims for injuries to others that you cause. This keeps our costs down and we pass that savings on to you in the form of competitive prices. Some Payless locations require you to present written proof of auto liability and physical damage insurance coverage. Proof should include the name and address of the insurer and the policy number. Rental may be denied if you do not present the required proof of insurance coverage. Please refer to individual location policy: Keyword: LIABILITY INSURANCE
I wonder how one presents "written proof of auto...insurance coverage...include name, address & policy number" when they don't have a traditional insurance policy. I use the Amex premium car rental insurance and they don't provide anything that I can show at the rental counter that shows a policy number (Only thing i have found is the website with the terms of coverage)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I wonder how one presents "written proof of auto...insurance coverage...include name, address & policy number" when they don't have a traditional insurance policy. I use the Amex premium car rental insurance and they don't provide anything that I can show at the rental counter that shows a policy number (Only thing i have found is the website with the terms of coverage)
I bring a copy of the Amex policy