Passport Renewal Delay

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 12, 2014
Well, its done, we got it.

We went to the NYC Passport Office today with a 1:00PM appointment. We arrived about 12:45 and they took in our new passport application and we explained the situation. They were able to pull her original application from the New Hampshire (?) office and combine that with the new one we filled out before we arrived.

We showed them copies of our flight itinerary departing on Saturday, a copy of her old passport (Since the old one is now in New Hampshire), and waited. We got called up around 3:00PM and told they were going to get this done today. They asked us to pay an additional expedite fee of $60, and asked for her to show ID (NJ drivers license was acceptable). We were told it would take a few hours, so we went a few blocks down the street and had lunch (And a few margaritas :)). We came back at 5:00PM and they still weren't done, so we waited. We finally got called up at 6:00PM and were sent on our way with a shiny new passport.

Overall our costs were an extra $60 for the expedite fee, $25 to park a block away at Icon Parking (Get a coupon and pay in advance online, sure beats the drive up rate of $62 someone else paid before us), $15 in tolls and $92 for lunch (OK, we probably could have saved a bit if we packed a lunch...but I got to tell you, those margaritas were good!). Also cell service with both AT&T and Verizon were absolutely 4-5 bars the entire time inside the building, I saw some reviews online that cell service was bad there, not for us. Also, no food or drinks are allowed past security, and there is nowhere to get food inside that we saw.

Crisis averted! Thanks for all the advice here.

I figured I would detail our adventures today if someone else ever has to go through this.

Ron

Dec 12, 2014
Thanks.

Couldn't have done it without everyone's support here. I have to say, I was kind of shocked that they can produce a new passport in a few hours by paying an extra $60, yet they tell me it is now 6-8 weeks for normal processing. Knowing that, I would just pay the expedite fee every time to ensure it gets handled in a reasonable amount of time.

And we were nowhere near the ones cutting it close to a departure for a trip. We met a woman there that was flying out last night at 10:00PM and she was still a the passport agency at 5 :eek:

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks.

Couldn't have done it without everyone's support here. I have to say, I was kind of shocked that they can produce a new passport in a few hours by paying an extra $60, yet they tell me it is now 6-8 weeks for normal processing. Knowing that, I would just pay the expedite fee every time to ensure it gets handled in a reasonable amount of time.

And we were nowhere near the ones cutting it close to a departure for a trip. We met a woman there that was flying out last night at 10:00PM and she was still a the passport agency at 5 :eek:
Thankfully you got an appointment early enough and were not that person being last minute — great emoji for the situation.

I have used the NYC passport office for the rush and have no complaints (except no coffee allowed).

It is great that you did not have to pay another application fee, just the rush fee— very reasonable.

Now you can enjoy the trip.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Now you can relax and enjoy. Great result. The likelihood that the original renewal was going to show up this week was somewhere between slim and none, and slim left town (or got caught in the gov shutdown).

Now you know: renew all passports 6-12 months prior to expiration. Nothing puts a damper on last-minute plans like no valid passport for the required 3 -6 months beyond your travel dates.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What wonderful news! I literally held my breath opening your thread this evening! Amazing how brains, money and good advice can allow you to reach your goal. Anyone who can drink margaritas while waiting for a new passport is almost guaranteed to be a happy traveller. Very, very happy for you ... have a great trip!