Passport Renewal Delay

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 16, 2018
And yes....it's outrageous that we should have to pay an extra $60 to get basic service, but that's the way it works. It's no service and no idea where your passport i
The application has already been sent in along with the documentation that she is going to need to get the passport.

At this point the best thing to do is go online and find out where the processing is at. If it looks like it’s stuck, turn go to a local office.

Try to make an appointment first but be aware that if they say they are booked up, you can just go and walk in. They will take you.

The issue now is the old passport and all documents are already in the passport office that cashed the check.
Neil, that's just it....I don't believe it is possible to go online and see where it is in the processing if you haven't paid for the expediting. My experience was that the ones that are not expedited are not tracked in any way.

By the way, do you really think the post office can help? My impression was that their only job is to accept and mail in the applications. They always said that they have no hand in it after that, and cannot track its progress. Maybe that has changed recently?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And yes....it's outrageous that we should have to pay an extra $60 to get basic service, but that's the way it works. It's no service and no idea where your passport i

Neil, that's just it....I don't believe it is possible to go online and see where it is in the processing if you haven't paid for the expediting. My experience was that the ones that are not expedited are not tracked in any way.

By the way, do you really think the post office can help? My impression was that their only job is to accept and mail in the applications. They always said that they have no hand in it after that, and cannot track its progress. Maybe that has changed recently?
Yes it is because I was able to track mine when I renewed and did not expedite.

Use the link I gave you earlier.

Apr 10, 2017

You can still track the passport status without paying for expediting. My husband was able to do that with his and it wasn't expedited.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So hopefully your girlfriend is at the local passport office right now getting this taken care of. I have no more advice for you, just sympathy. You did everything right but the feds let you down. I hope, hope, hope that this gets all wrapped up in time. You're the planner, so spend your time dealing with the worst-case scenario and how you can salvage this trip, or at least the money that has gone into it so far.

Dec 12, 2014
So hopefully your girlfriend is at the local passport office right now getting this taken care of. I have no more advice for you, just sympathy. You did everything right but the feds let you down. I hope, hope, hope that this gets all wrapped up in time. You're the planner, so spend your time dealing with the worst-case scenario and how you can salvage this trip, or at least the money that has gone into it so far.
Thanks.

We are able to track her passport renewal online....it just continues to say "In process". One way or another, we will get this solved. My tentative plan is to wait for Friday, a week before we need to get the renewed passport. If it still says "in process" I am going to make an appointment at the Passport Agency for next Tuesday or Wednesday. If I cannot make an appointment, we will simply go there armed with a photocopy of her old passport, a dozen or so different forms of ID to get a new one issued directly, a pair of new passport photos and photocopies of all the ID we will be presenting.

This is our first trip away as a couple and I will not allow this to prevent our vacation. I plan on sitting on the beach listening to the music of the ocean, while the two of us sip our drinks from glasses with little umbrellas in them.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

Ron

Feb 14, 2019
Hi Ron,

I submitted my two sons' passports for renewal on Tues. Jan. 8. We received a status email on Feb. 6 stating "You requested delivery by regular mail. Passport Agencies use Priority Mail. This means you should receive your passport on or about 02/12/2019. " We actually received the passports on Sat. Feb. 9, 2019. According to your original post, you are exactly two weeks behind us. That puts you receiving her passport on the day you leave. I wouldn't wait - I would try and expedite or get a rush passport right away. Doesn't the passport agency have your girlfriend's most recent passport? I haven't received my sons' back yet or any of the supporting documents. Good luck!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thanks.

We are able to track her passport renewal online....it just continues to say "In process". One way or another, we will get this solved. My tentative plan is to wait for Friday, a week before we need to get the renewed passport. If it still says "in process" I am going to make an appointment at the Passport Agency for next Tuesday or Wednesday. If I cannot make an appointment, we will simply go there armed with a photocopy of her old passport, a dozen or so different forms of ID to get a new one issued directly, a pair of new passport photos and photocopies of all the ID we will be presenting.

This is our first trip away as a couple and I will not allow this to prevent our vacation. I plan on sitting on the beach listening to the music of the ocean, while the two of us sip our drinks from glasses with little umbrellas in them.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

Ron
I would suggest making an appt now for next Tuesday and cancel it if not needed. Remember Monday is Federal holiday and a government shutdown tomorrow is not off the table.

Dec 12, 2014
I made took the first appointment offered to me online, but it was next Friday, the day before we leave. Yikes! I don't feel comfortable waiting that long.

My thinking is we will keep that appointment as a backup, but just go down to the agency on Tuesday morning (Monday is a holiday). Does anyone have any experience with showing up without an appointment? What would our chances be of getting helped? What do we say when they ask for our appointment information?

I don't mind paying the $60 expedite fee, I assume we will have to pay a second time for the passport renewal fee too, right? It's still cheaper than cancelling/changing our trip.

Thanks,
Ron

Feb 14, 2019
I believe, but am not sure, that if you show up in person without an appointment, you have to provide flight information proving your flight leaves within the next 48 hours. Have you tried calling the passport processing center and asking to expedite the passport NOW? That would at least get you overnight FedEx instead of priority mail which means you might get the passport before your appointment.

Dec 12, 2014
OK, scratch that. I rechecked and NYC had an appointment available on Tuesday at 1:00 PM. So we are now booked for that one.

I have never done this before, is it safe to assume that once we give all the correct information, applications and money, she will be going home with her shiny new passport that afternoon?

Feb 14, 2019
I just looked up obtaining an expedited passport from an agency (when you have an appointment) and it says it says "Proof of immediate international travel, the Expedited Fee, and an appointment are required for each application submitted in person at a Passport Agency or Center." Then it says under Processing Times that "Expedited at Agency is 8 Business Days - Based on need, restrictions apply."

I know they can do it faster (same day or next day but they aren't open on Saturdays, I don't think) but it seems (from their website) to be only life or death emergencies. I'm sure they have some discretion.

It also says (under Q&A on a non-government website) that you can call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 to try and change your request from routine to expedited processing. If you can pay the expedited passport fee with a credit card, you will likely be able to make the switch."

That's what I would do - call and try to switch it from regular processing to expedited processing over the phone. Don't wait until the day before you leave.

Feb 14, 2019
Just saw your recent post - she won't get it that day but will likely get it in a few days before she leaves.....I think they base it on your actual departure date. I think you're fine with Tuesday (leaving Sat) - much better than going in on Friday and trying to get it for travel the NEXT day.

Sep 19, 2015
OK, scratch that. I rechecked and NYC had an appointment available on Tuesday at 1:00 PM. So we are now booked for that one.

I have never done this before, is it safe to assume that once we give all the correct information, applications and money, she will be going home with her shiny new passport that afternoon?
It can be done same day or one may have to come back the following day. Your situation is a bit more complicated as there is another passport being processed. I got my expedited passport the next day (NYC).

Dec 12, 2014
I just looked up obtaining an expedited passport from an agency (when you have an appointment) and it says it says "Proof of immediate international travel, the Expedited Fee, and an appointment are required for each application submitted in person at a Passport Agency or Center." Then it says under Processing Times that "Expedited at Agency is 8 Business Days - Based on need, restrictions apply."

I know they can do it faster (same day or next day but they aren't open on Saturdays, I don't think) but it seems (from their website) to be only life or death emergencies. I'm sure they have some discretion.

It also says (under Q&A on a non-government website) that you can call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 to try and change your request from routine to expedited processing. If you can pay the expedited passport fee with a credit card, you will likely be able to make the switch."

That's what I would do - call and try to switch it from regular processing to expedited processing over the phone. Don't wait until the day before you leave.
She had called and tried to add the expedite fee, they told her since it was less than 8 business days to travel, they could not change it now :-(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I made took the first appointment offered to me online, but it was next Friday, the day before we leave. Yikes! I don't feel comfortable waiting that long.

My thinking is we will keep that appointment as a backup, but just go down to the agency on Tuesday morning (Monday is a holiday). Does anyone have any experience with showing up without an appointment? What would our chances be of getting helped? What do we say when they ask for our appointment information?

I don't mind paying the $60 expedite fee, I assume we will have to pay a second time for the passport renewal fee too, right? It's still cheaper than cancelling/changing our trip.

Thanks,
Ron
Just go. You can’t wait that late.

Sep 19, 2015
As Neil said go for the appointment and do not be late, and have all the documents including proof of travel and all info for passport renewal, photos etc.

I am optimistic now that you have a Tuesday appointment.

Dec 2, 2017
Maybe I’m the exception. I have never expedited my passport renewal and have always received it in plenty of time before my travel. I have always received it within 3 weeks of when it was sent in. At this point, I would go to an office and follow their instructions. Also, see what progress has been made on your submission through their website, if you can. Good Luck!