Passport name and airline ticket name slightly different

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 14, 2019
My name on my passport does not include my middle name, but my name on my airline ticket does. Will this be a problem?

Jan 6, 2015
This should not be a problem. Airlines will often include/exclude middle names. As long as the first and last are accurate . . .

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
To Dublin from Newark via American Airlines and British Airways in late July 2019.
I would suggest taking the documents with your full name to a local passport office and getting your passport changed to your complete name. It is likely easier to do this than to get your airline tickets changed. Then your passport will reflect your correct name for the future

Sep 19, 2015
If other documents (like driver's license etc) have a middle name I would consider following weihlac's advice and getting a new passport to reflect the full name. All it takes is one person who sees passport as John Doe when ticket is for John Richard Doe to cause a problem.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so glad you're asking this question NOW, Sdavi. I've seen lots of issues with an airline tix not including the middle name as shown on the passport ... but not the other way around. This is a great time to sit back for a moment and think about "the rest of your life". If you would like your legal name to be first, middle, last then I'd get the passport changed. Then you can gradually change everything else to conform your identity. When I moved to California, I thought it would be cool to use my maiden name as my middle name for business, so that's on my DL. Passport, of course, shows the middle name I was given by my parents. Never was an issue until 9/11, and now I wish I'd never done it. But I'm too lazy to change my DL. So far I've managed to evade any problems by never using a middle name at all for an airline tix. Women really do have some latitude with the authorities here I think.

If you usually don't use a middle name you might want to leave things alone. But there's no guarantee you'll board that flight. Do you have several more pieces of ID without your middle name?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Passport name mismatches according to Christopher Elliott.

I see two important takewaways: that the TSA may let you through but the airline may not, and that some countries may require an exact match.
And you may be allowed to board on your outbound flight and denied boarding on your return. One cannot risk that. Get your passport to show your FULL LEGAL name and make sure all tickets in the future, esp for international travel, have the same name as your passport.

Jan 6, 2015
And you may be allowed to board on your outbound flight and denied boarding on your return. One cannot risk that. Get your passport to show your FULL LEGAL name and make sure all tickets in the future, esp for international travel, have the same name as your passport.
There are exceptions, weihlac. Sometimes I see here cases where the airline does not print a middle name . . .

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
There are exceptions, weihlac. Sometimes I see here cases where the airline does not print a middle name . . .
One does not want to depend on an exception when flying home from an international destination. If that exception is not allowed you have to pay a one-way walk-up ticket price to get home. It has happened. It all has to do with risk tolerance. I always want my tickets and passport to agree 100%. I use my passport for all flight IDs, even within the US.

Last edited: