passenger leaning on me

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 20, 2018
flying first class, paid $350 and used 70,000 miles, from Atlanta to Hartford on 11/2 at nite, the window passenger started leaning on my arm about 20 mins into the flight, seeming to be tired. I pushed her back but 10 mins later she did it again and got more aggressive-i got the attendant to push her back and told her stay on her side-15 mins later - same thing-another attendant saw and pushed her back again and told her to stop-with 1/2 left to go, she then spilled her water bottle on my pants, the seat, and console when she took a pill. I pushed the attendant button and she came over, pushed her back again and told her again to stay on her side and brought a towel to dry my pants. The last 30 mins i sat there with wet pants, afraid to move and get her attention- and on top of this the tv screens on my side went black an hour into the flight.
Finally landed and the attendant said they would be filing a customer complaint for me-meanwhile i filed my own complaint with the letter attached.
This was the worst flight for me-very uncomfortable for the 2 hr flight.
Case # 01743225
I got an email response yesterday from Delta and said they were sorry for the inconvenience and offered 9000 miles as compensation.

I sent an email back saying i would like to talk to her.
I didn't know if 9000 miles is a reasonable compensation for this.
Thank you for any thoughts.
Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2015
Alas sometimes fellow passengers are the source of unpleasantness on a flight. Perhaps the window seat woman was extremely tired, maybe was sedated, maybe had too much to drink...

Reminds me of people falling asleep on the NY subway..and leaning on those next to them. Even though you were flying first class it is still an airplane and the public can buy a ticket and fly.

But this was not Delta’s fault.

What do you think the FA could have done better? What did you want Delta to do, divert the plane and offload the passenger? This is a flight of what 2 hours and 15 minutes?

What is the point of mentioning that the woman was “foreign”. Did you see her passport? You mention she spoke English so what is the point of commenting on her “foreign-ness”?

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I once flew BA in England domestically and was sitting next to a flight attendant who kept on turning round to talk to her colleague behind her, and digging her arm into me. Today being a more seasoned traveler I would have asked if she wanted me to swap places with her colleague!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
On all the flights I've been on, including Delta, the armrest in biz/first is 10-12" wide. If she was leaning over that space into your body, she must have been medicated or ill, as my colleagues pointed out. It would be very difficult to spill water on the next passenger with that much separation. What kind of a plane were you flying?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
On all the flights I've been on, including Delta, the armrest in biz/first is 10-12" wide. If she was leaning over that space into your body, she must have been medicated or ill, as my colleagues pointed out. It would be very difficult to spill water on the next passenger with that much separation. What kind of a plane were you flying?
As to the water spillage, it could have been intentional, as pay back for his complaints against her.
Just an awful situation for this person to put up with.
I had a 3.5 hour flight yesterday and was grateful when two 20-somethings of normal size showed up to claim the window and middle seats.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You have to feel sorry for such miserable people and thank God you aren’t her. So you had a couple of hours to have to deal with her. You’ll never see her again. There are people that go through life full of nastiness instead of trying to be nice people.

Or she may have been going through a bad period or have issues you don’t know about that could affect her.

It’s not the airlines fault- it sounds like the FA did all she could to assist you if there were no other seats available to move you.

Take the points and remember we are in a holiday season where we should be thankful for all we have. The airline can’t change a person and they did all they could. If you had said the FA did nothing I’d encourage you to go for more but what else could they have done?

Oct 30, 2015
North Laurasia
Maybe I'm overreacting here, but I would have asked the airline to have the police waiting at the gate to talk to her. Intentionally touching you and pouring water in your lap is called assault. I'm astonished the Delta gave you 9K miles...that was very nice of them. But then........I've never been rich enough to afford first class. I"m betting had you been in couch, the flight attendents wouldn't have done a thing.
I don't see anywhere in your comment about her being "foreign"...
I wouldn't talk to her. God knows, she might be a stalker.

Sep 19, 2015
Maybe I'm overreacting here, but I would have asked the airline to have the police waiting at the gate to talk to her. Intentionally touching you and pouring water in your lap is called assault. I'm astonished the Delta gave you 9K miles...that was very nice of them. But then........I've never been rich enough to afford first class. I"m betting had you been in couch, the flight attendents wouldn't have done a thing.
The OP had an attachment when he discussed the passenger being foreign.

I accidently knocked over a water cup on and it spilled on the passenger next to me and I apologized — it happens.

The passenger sounds as if she could have been under the influence of something —‘or maybe had come from a long trip from overseas, as Atlanta is a major hub — or maybe came after a funeral. There seemed to be no hostility or bad words — so assault is a stretch. I see people falling asleep on the NYC subway and leaning —especially those that work graveyard shifts— and I would not call that assault.

Mar 23, 2015
[QUOTE="What is the point of mentioning that the woman was “foreign”. Did you see her passport? You mention she spoke English so what is the point of commenting on her “foreign-ness”?[/QUOTE]
I didn't see anything about her being foreign, or what language she spoke... did the OP edit the complaint or am I missing something?

Mar 23, 2015
[QUOTE="What is the point of mentioning that the woman was “foreign”. Did you see her passport? You mention she spoke English so what is the point of commenting on her “foreign-ness”?
I didn't see anything about her being foreign, or what language she spoke... did the OP edit the complaint or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
Ugh.. and I just saw Christina's reply regarding the removed attachment and for some reason I can neither delete nor edit my post. So CH, forgive me for not reading ALL of the comments before making mine!

Sep 19, 2015
I didn't see anything about her being foreign, or what language she spoke... did the OP edit the complaint or am I missing something?
Ugh.. and I just saw Christina's reply regarding the removed attachment and for some reason I can neither delete nor edit my post. So CH, forgive me for not reading ALL of the comments before making mine![/QUOTE]

I think we were ships er comments that passed in the night! The moderators were smart to delete that because there was so much personal info which should not be posted publicly —people hack into FF accounts and steal points.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yeah, I think you are over-reacting. I don't see any malice in what I've read; I think it was just really, really annoying. I think 9K SkyMiles was pretty chintzy ... 25K would be more in line with the tix originally purchased.

Nov 20, 2018
After replying to delta’s original email saying I would like to talk to her, she up’ed the mileage by another 11,000, total is 20,000, I’m okay with that.
I know it’s not Delta’s fault but you sit there for an hour and a half wondering what’s going to happen next, it’s is very stressful and emotional.
Thanks for all the comments.