Partly blocked credit card

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 10, 2018
I have hired a car from Budget car rentals in Munich airport and returned it back just a week ago, unfortunately, I had a small accident and hit a wooden fence causing two long scruffs on the right-hand side front and rear door. I informed the local police and a report was lodged, when I returned the car, I immediately informed the attendant of the damage, The car had 1100 euro excess plus admin fees. I had signed and authorised for this payment from my credit card instantly. (I am not complaining about this).

My question is that besides the payment an x amount of money is still blocked on my visa. Is this a normal procedure for Budget rentals to pre-authorise an amount on your payment even though you paid for the damages incurred. Can someone please advice, perhaps with similar situations. Thanks and regards

Sep 19, 2015
It has only been a week? I would suspect that there is still paperwork being done. Was it collision damager waiver? Those waivers usually only cover body work, damage to tires and other parts are extra. I think you may have to wait a little longer. You should only be liable for the Euro 1100 if there is no other damage

Jul 27, 2016
This "small" accident involves at least a two-panel damage to be repaired and may extend to the fenders as well. I do not know what repair costs are in Germany, but 1100 euros probably would not cover this in the US.
Excess is the European term for what we call deductible. So the 1100 Euros plus fees is all her should have to pay.