Partly blocked credit card

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 10, 2018
I have hired a car from Budget car rentals in Munich airport and returned it back just a week ago, unfortunately, I had a small accident and hit a wooden fence causing two long scruffs on the right-hand side front and rear door. I informed the local police and a report was lodged, when I returned the car, I immediately informed the attendant of the damage, The car had 1100 euro excess plus admin fees. I had signed and authorised for this payment from my credit card instantly. (I am not complaining about this).

My question is that besides the payment an x amount of money is still blocked on my visa. Is this a normal procedure for Budget rentals to pre-authorise an amount on your payment even though you paid for the damages incurred. Can someone please advice, perhaps with similar situations. Thanks and regards

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
This "small" accident involves at least a two-panel damage to be repaired and may extend to the fenders as well. I do not know what repair costs are in Germany, but 1100 euros probably would not cover this in the US.

Sep 19, 2015
It has only been a week? I would suspect that there is still paperwork being done. Was it collision damager waiver? Those waivers usually only cover body work, damage to tires and other parts are extra. I think you may have to wait a little longer. You should only be liable for the Euro 1100 if there is no other damage

Jul 27, 2016
This "small" accident involves at least a two-panel damage to be repaired and may extend to the fenders as well. I do not know what repair costs are in Germany, but 1100 euros probably would not cover this in the US.
Excess is the European term for what we call deductible. So the 1100 Euros plus fees is all her should have to pay.

Aug 5, 2018
Are you saying that you have 1 posted charge for the 1100 Euro deductible, AND a pending charge for that same amount?

If that's what you're saying, you need to contact your bank, get release contact info and procedures, then contact the location where the charge originated. Avis Budget corporate can't directly mess with pending charges from an international location. They'll send it to a different team that will send out an email and cross their fingers, hoping someone responds within 45 days.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The cost of the damage is not in question here.

Aug 10, 2018
Well after numerous emails to budget to release my partly blocked eccess , finally after one month the sum blocked was released. During this period I contacted my bank and they said that the blocked sum will be realised in a months time if there are no other administrative charges incurred such as Traffic fines etc...
To cut the story short I had to wait for 1 month to have it released. Thank God my access was also insured and my insurance recouped the expense paid for my access.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
A MONTH? I hope that travellers do their research before they leave home so they put the rental car on a card that can handle a fairly large hold. Thanks so much for letting us know, you may save others from this disturbing problem.

Aug 10, 2018
A MONTH? I hope that travellers do their research before they leave home so they put the rental car on a card that can handle a fairly large hold. Thanks so much for letting us know, you may save others from this disturbing problem.
It was a very disturbing problem. Budget replies were non existing. The only reply was an aknowlegment written in german which I had to translate with gooogle with a non related reply. Other emails were not answered as to regards my queries often directing me to FAQ which did not address my problem. Phoning them incured high charges so I dealt this matter with my Bank directly, they were very helpful but infomed me that they could not release my ammount immediately and have to wait and see if Budget had other charges due,so I waited for one whole month for the bank to be able to release my blocked amount. It was very frustrating and I felt that i was at Budget's mercy.
So beware of this situation just an advice always make sure to have enough money on your card and insure your access just in case. I was insured with a reliable inurance namely iCarhireinsurance which reimbursed my access with a smooth response.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If this was a pre-auth it never should have lasted for more than 10 days. This shouldn’t have happened.

This should be a prime example of why one should use a credit card when traveling and never a debit card. If this was a debit card - you could have had checks bouncing all over the place until that hold lifted.