Palermo Hotel should be changed to improve tour!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 3, 2017
Is there the possibility of another tour you might consider that has different accommodations for the city? Maybe another high end tour that is more suitable for how you would like to experience Palermo?

I imagine it can be challenging to persuade a tour company to change such hotels (but, I don't know) though I would think there are arrangements in place.

I too have have no idea about the efficacy/frequency of the hotel shuttle.

Sep 9, 2019
It takes time and effort. We will find a way to making our trip work for us. It is challenging to organize anything to everyone's satisfaction and to attend to their needs. (as differentiated from wants). But the homework I have been doing, with the help of strangers, has given me help in that direction.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Is there the possibility of another tour you might consider that has different accommodations for the city? Maybe another high end tour that is more suitable for how you would like to experience Palermo?

I imagine it can be challenging to persuade a tour company to change such hotels (but, I don't know) though I would think there are arrangements in place.

I too have have no idea about the efficacy/frequency of the hotel shuttle.
The problem is there are only certain hotels that can accommodate large groups. In smaller cities it can be tough to find anything for large groups which also might result in booking hotels in the outskirts of a town vs. in town.

Look for a company that does small group tours. Some companies hold groups to less than 20 people. You’ll pay more though.

Sep 9, 2019
That is one of the alternatives that I am in the midst of addressing. I have been to Sicily twice before but the people I am going with have never been there. One of them is legally blind. All of us are seniors but do not have mobility issues and in fact are pretty active. A very small tour presents a problem to the legally blind person since this condition is commonly coupled with claustrophobic issues on very small buses and small cars. Even plane seating has to be addressed. Will not take any tours that are coupled with unassigned plane seats. Going with some of the smaller tours is not possible. We have all traveled enough to know what we can manage. I have not brought these issues into the conversation because it complicates matters. I know we can handle a tour that has a bus that accommodates at least 12 people with luggage. Smaller buses or small vans are not the solution for one of us. We have traveled enough to know what will work and what will not work. This will take time and patience but it will happen. Thank you once again.

Feb 3, 2017
The problem is there are only certain hotels that can accommodate large groups. In smaller cities it can be tough to find anything for large groups which also might result in booking hotels in the outskirts of a town vs. in town.

Look for a company that does small group tours. Some companies hold groups to less than 20 people. You’ll pay more though.
Yes, that is always a challenge in many cities; hotels that book tour groups are usually much larger than many in city centers and often outside of the center requiring transportation to the city center. Especially an issue in such old, ancient cities where new large hotels are not being built.

It is a conundrum; hopefully, OP will find a satisfactory solution.

Sep 9, 2019
Yes, that is always a challenge in many cities; hotels that book tour groups are usually much larger than many in city centers and often outside of the center requiring transportation to the city center. Especially an issue in such old, ancient cities where new large hotels are not being built.

It is a conundrum; hopefully, OP will find a satisfactory solution.
I hope so. Have contacted Tauck and have sent email directly to CEO. For other reasons, I want to steer away from a very small and private tour. This quest has been started early enough to craft some sort of resolution that fits our needs. Time and patience and a couple of helpful people will solve this. Thank you.