Paid for RT International upgrade seats for fearful flyer. Both flts entertainment system broken.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 3, 2018
I wrote to United Customer Care Dept on 11/6/17 and as of 12/29/17 have not had any response from them at all. I purchased roundtrip premium upgrade seats at the total cost of $285.00 per person. On both flights my seat’s audio equipment was not working for the entire flight. The first flight’s seat had something broken in the area where you insert the earphones and it could not be removed. I notified the flight attendant who indicated there was nothing that could be done to fix it. On the return flight neither the audio nor any of the other electronic options that are available for the seats on this aircraft were working for my seat. Therefore, not only was I unable to watch any movies, programing, etc., I was also unable to call for the flight attendant or turn my light on to read. The flight attendant tried to reboot the equipment several times but it did not work. Needless to say, both of these flights were long flights (Dulles to Lisbon, Portugul and return from Barcelona, Spain). The flight attendant on both flights offered to move my seat but the openings were way in the back of the plane and I would not be able to sit with my husband. I am a very fearful flyer and need to sit towards the front of the aircraft and it's important to have distraction to make the flights bearable. So not having the use of the audio equipment on both of these flights presented a very difficult and stressful situation for me. (The flight home was also quite bumpy due to travel over the remnants of a storm.)

Jan 11, 2017
I feel your pain. I have an adult son, who is extremely fearful flyer. So let me share our decades-long experience.
Whenever he/we flies/fly he/we always overprepared for any kind of breakdown. My recommendation: have your backup entertainment kit. (Books, music, videos etc.) Was your husband's audio sytem down too? If not, a $3-4 headphone splitter could have helped. A $3-4 small reading light could have helped too. No, I do not say, these are optimal solutions, but these gadgets might have helped.
If sitting next to your husband, and a working entertainment system might help to overcome your fear to sit on the back, next time in similar situation, when they offer you another seat, ask the FA to move your husband with you. That guy/girl in the back of the plane who sat next to he seat that was offered to you would have been me more than happy to move to the front.

Nevertheless giving vouchers for not working entertainment system is pretty standard.

Jan 3, 2018
I feel your pain. I have an adult son, who is extremely fearful flyer. So let me share our decades-long experience.
Whenever he/we flies/fly he/we always overprepared for any kind of breakdown. My recommendation: have your backup entertainment kit. (Books, music, videos etc.) Was your husband's audio sytem down too? If not, a $3-4 headphone splitter could have helped. A $3-4 small reading light could have helped too. No, I do not say, these are optimal solutions, but these gadgets might have helped.
If sitting next to your husband, and a working entertainment system might help to overcome your fear to sit on the back, next time in similar situation, when they offer you another seat, ask the FA to move your husband with you. That guy/girl in the back of the plane who sat next to he seat that was offered to you would have been me more than happy to move to the front.

Nevertheless giving vouchers for not working entertainment system is pretty standard.
Thank you so much "Grandma" for replying to my post. I appreciate all the advice. It was very kind of you. The FA did offer to move my seat to the back of the plane. However, this fearful flyer is worse in the back of the plane since it is more bumpy in turbulence in my opinion and very claustrophobic as well. Thanks again!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Rho we have company contacts on top of our page.

Find United’s under the airlines. Since you’ve already written to Customer Service, use the contact info for the first executive, tell your story and tell the exec. you write twice to Customer Service and didn’t receive a reply.

I suggest asking for a small credit for a future flight within a year. You won’t get a full refund of what you paid because you still had a better seat (hopefully more legroom) besides the entertainment system.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the nect executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll
Tell you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Jan 3, 2018
Rho we have company contacts on top of our page.

Find United’s under the airlines. Since you’ve already written to Customer Service, use the contact info for the first executive, tell your story and tell the exec. you write twice to Customer Service and didn’t receive a reply.

I suggest asking for a small credit for a future flight within a year. You won’t get a full refund of what you paid because you still had a better seat (hopefully more legroom) besides the entertainment system.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the nect executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll
Tell you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Hi Neil: Thanks for the information. I did find an email and mailing address for the United Airlines Customer Care Manager and Director and wrote to them today and included my original letter to United that I wrote in November. I will give them some time to respond. If they do not, I will go up the ladder from your contact page for United. I did mention that I did not want a future credit on a flight since they give you a year to use it and I already have my 2018 plans in the works.