Overnight delay: Claim Airport Hotel or missed night at destination?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 23, 2019
Trying to figure out what to claim after getting stuck in Provo Airport in Turks & Caicos when last flight to Grand Turk canceled due to their airport closing (bad weather).
Was put on the first flight the next morning, but had to get Hotel for that night.
local Hotel for that night was $225
the place I had originally booked on Grand Turk cost $380

I have all the documents I need to make a claim for the $225 Hotel but since I missed the original $380 place, should I try to file for that instead?
Never filed a claim for Travel Insurance before.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When a flight is canceled for weather, the airlines don’t have to pay for overnight accommodations/ this was not something under their control.

Most travel insurance policies would reimburse you for this as travel delay. If you didn’t have insurance, check with the credit card you used to pay for the trip. There might be some kind of coverage through your card.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Trying to figure out what to claim after getting stuck in Provo Airport in Turks & Caicos when last flight to Grand Turk canceled due to their airport closing (bad weather).
Was put on the first flight the next morning, but had to get Hotel for that night.
local Hotel for that night was $225
the place I had originally booked on Grand Turk cost $380

I have all the documents I need to make a claim for the $225 Hotel but since I missed the original $380 place, should I try to file for that instead?
Never filed a claim for Travel Insurance before.
What does your travel insurance policy say you are due? The airline is not responsible if the cancelation was due to weather.

Travel insurance usually covers the additional expenses for the hotel you had to get for the overnight at the airport. You may have additional trip interruption insurance coverage. All of this will be in your policy.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
When a flight is canceled for weather, the airlines don’t have to pay for overnight accommodations/ this was not something under their control.

Most travel insurance policies would reimburse you for this as travel delay. If you didn’t have insurance, check with the credit card you used to pay for the trip. There might be some kind of coverage through your card.
It sounds like he does have a trip policy.

Sep 23, 2019
I HAVE a Trip Insurance policy purchased separately through AMEX. This is not about compensation from the airline.
I apologize if that made things confusing.

On one hand the policy states there is a maximum $150 per trip for "Trip Delay" but it is not clear if this is "per covered person".
I am hoping it will be viewed as "Cancellation" since the documentation from the airline states the flight was "cancelled".
There is a higher amount of reimbursement for "cancellation" as opposed to "delay" but I am not the Claims Adjuster.

After receiving the claim form I'm just wondering if I should be filing for the larger amount ($380) instead of the smaller amount ($225 airport hotel).
The $380 is only 1 day out 7 that I had booked in advance and pre-paid for with no refunds.

Not sure if I understand Neil's comment about "You should file for both".
Both amounts? $380 and $225? I would think they would decline that as only one of them would "make me whole".
I have never filed a claim for Trip Insurance before so I am just trying to get some extra insights before I do.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
FOR OUR OTHER READERS This is a great example of why you should use a real insurance broker and not an online service. You should be able to call the agent and ask any questions you have before filing the claim. If you purchase on the internet, you have to figure it all out for yourself.

Sep 20, 2018
You file a claim for Trip Delay coverage to pay for the hotel, meal expenses, whatever, and for Trip Interruption coverage if you lost any actual money (like one night's room rate you still had to pay at your destination hotel, even though you weren't there to enjoy it.)

Sep 23, 2019
Followup: I WAS able to call AMEX insurance and speak to an Agent regarding clarification on some of these issues.
My TRIP DELAY Insurance claim has $150 max PER COVERED PERSON, so if approved by Adjuster, that would cover my Hotel for the night of the canceled flight.
My TRIP INTERRUPTION coverage "should" cover the $380 from the one night I missed at my final destination. They are sending me a separate claim form for that.
If I had not asked my question here, I would not have thought to file a claim for TRIP INTERRUPTION, so again, thank you all.

Sep 23, 2019
OUTCOME:
Today I received emails that both my claims were approved by AMEX and I should receive a check within 7-10 days.

Some notes in case someone else reads this looking for advice:
1: When you initially contact Insurance about a Claim, try to make sure they know how many COVERED PERSONS there are.
I did not initially, so for 2 separate claims (Trip Delay, Trip Interruption) I had to fill out a separate Claim Form for EACH Covered Person resulting in 4 forms total.

2: As soon as the first flight was canceled, I got BOTH unused Boarding Passes and took pics of them. The next day as soon as we were issued NEW Boarding Passes, I took pics of THOSE as well before boarding. This proved useful when Insurance asked for "copies of tickets"as the airline (InterCaribbean) never sent any updated itinerary or other documentation and they took my initial Boarding Passes away before boarding the new flight.

3: If you end up in other lodging (hotel, etc) make sure you get a good clear receipt of services you received PLUS a copy of the little stub that shows you PAID with a credit card or other method. Save these AND take clear pics of them in case you lose the receipts.

4: I tried to get some kind of independent confirmation from the PLS or GTD airport or InterCaribbean airlines to confirm the closing of the airport, I got no response and not only that, there was no one to contact at either airport about this, I ended up contacting a Turks & Caicos Govt Aviation site about this. I had previously sent a message to Customer Service at InterCaribbean and received no response, but after sending a message on their FB page (via Messenger) I received a nice confirmation letter via email within 24 hours and an apology for the delay. While the letter might not have been necessary, 3rd party confirmation is something the Insurer may ask for so I wanted to make sure my bases were covered.