Our very expensive flight to Guatemala.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 7, 2016
On June 25, 2016 my husband, my granddaughter and I started our trip from Chicago to Guatemala in AeroMexico, flight # 737, with one stop in Mexico City. When we arrived to Mexico City, we were told that we needed to “enter“ Mexico, although we were passengers “in transit”. For this, we were asked to fill up an immigration form which has two parts. We filled up both parts and presented the whole form to the immigration employee taking care of this matters. This person kept one part of the form and placed the other inside the passports. In our way to the boarding gate we passed through the last immigration checking point. There the employee checking the documents could not find the immigration form and gave us green forms that had written in the front the following “only for Mexicans”. This did not look right to us, however we filled them up, as instructed, placed them in our passports and went to gate (# 52) to board flight # 672 to Guatemala City. Ninety minutes later, when we were about to board flight # 672, the AeroMexico employee checking documents at the gate told us that the green form was not the right one and asked that we go back to the immigration control and get the right one. When we reached this control we were told that we didn’t need to fill up another form because the right one was already inside each passport. They have finally found the original form that we filled up on the first place.

Ten to twelve minutes later, when we arrived to the gate, the last passengers for flight # 672 were boarding the plane. Unfortunately, the person in charge of the counter did not take care of our boarding papers because she was on the phone. By the time she hang up, the gate door was closed and we could not board that flight. She told us of another flight (# 670) to depart for Guatemala City at 11:00 AM.

When we tried to check in the new flight, we were told that the tickets we had for flight # 672 from Mexico City to Guatemala City were not valid anymore and that we should purchase new tickets at the horrible cost of $ 865.87 each. We obviously did that and spent $ 2597.61 extra to get to our destination.

Attachments

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
What a mess. What Aeromexico should've done is transferred your ticket to the later flight, not forced you to buy new ones.

Have you written to them asking for a refund? http://elliott.org/company-contacts/aeromexico/ Has their customer service contact info. Send them a short, polite email explaining you were denied boarding due to the mixup with the paperwork, even though you had filled out the correct forms, and that they didn't transfer the tickets at the airport to the later flight but instead forced you to buy new tickets.

Start with their customer service first and give them a chance to respond before moving to the executive contacts listed.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
This is so frustrating. I would be enraged. I may have also been pushier about getting someone's attention to board. Then again, that could have landed me in a Mexican prison. I have also learned that people handle these things differently and by politely waiting for the agent to get off the phone, this happened. The airline should refund you as it made several mistakes that prevented you from flying as planned. Hopefully a reasonable employee will read your letter and take care of this.
I'm not sure if this could have been prevented. Often we fill out things automatically and do not stop to think about context of the document. Your instincts were right on this one.

Sep 7, 2016
On June 25, 2016 my husband, my granddaughter and I started our trip from Chicago to Guatemala in AeroMexico, flight # 737, with one stop in Mexico City. When we arrived to Mexico City, we were told that we needed to “enter“ Mexico, although we were passengers “in transit”. For this, we were asked to fill up an immigration form which has two parts. We filled up both parts and presented the whole form to the immigration employee taking care of this matters. This person kept one part of the form and placed the other inside the passports. In our way to the boarding gate we passed through the last immigration checking point. There the employee checking the documents could not find the immigration form and gave us green forms that had written in the front the following “only for Mexicans”. This did not look right to us, however we filled them up, as instructed, placed them in our passports and went to gate (# 52) to board flight # 672 to Guatemala City. Ninety minutes later, when we were about to board flight # 672, the AeroMexico employee checking documents at the gate told us that the green form was not the right one and asked that we go back to the immigration control and get the right one. When we reached this control we were told that we didn’t need to fill up another form because the right one was already inside each passport. They have finally found the original form that we filled up on the first place.

Ten to twelve minutes later, when we arrived to the gate, the last passengers for flight # 672 were boarding the plane. Unfortunately, the person in charge of the counter did not take care of our boarding papers because she was on the phone. By the time she hang up, the gate door was closed and we could not board that flight. She told us of another flight (# 670) to depart for Guatemala City at 11:00 AM.

When we tried to check in the new flight, we were told that the tickets we had for flight # 672 from Mexico City to Guatemala City were not valid anymore and that we should purchase new tickets at the horrible cost of $ 865.87 each. We obviously did that and spent $ 2597.61 extra to get to our destination.

Yes, we did that. We wrote a letter that we sent to the address:
Aeromexico Consumer Relations
3663 N Sam Houston Parkway E. Ste. # 500
Houston, TX 77032
but until now we got no
answer from them. We also called Aeromexico at 800-237-6639, but they told us that they don't have the reservation code ZZPIBP, although it is printed in the receipt we got from Aeromexico.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
We suggest email vs. snail mail or calling. I would include a copy of your receipt in the correspondence as well.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
I just did that and Aeromexico is looking into the problem.
Im guessing this was today or recently. Give them a few weeks. After that, start using the executive contacts if you need to. Email one at a time and don't start with the CEO. If you don't get a response after a week, move up the chain accordingly.

Keep copies of all your coorespondence with them, too.

Jan 8, 2016
Southern Oregon
Sounds like you had separate tickets.
The last time I flew to South America - our layover was in Mexico City. And yes, they made us go through immigration, get our passports stamped, our luggage went through the drug dogs prior to picking it up and rechecking it back in - to carry on with our flights. We had to go back through security and immigration (for a 2 hour layover!). It became a tight connection - with no warning from the airline that this was SOP. I can see how it could quickly go terribly wrong - we didn't have separate tickets and aeromexico sold us the flights on one PNR. We made it - with lots of stress. Same thing on the way back home.

Oct 5, 2015
The last time I flew to South America - our layover was in Mexico City. And yes, they made us go through immigration, get our passports stamped, our luggage went through the drug dogs prior to picking it up and rechecking it back in - to carry on with our flights. We had to go back through security and immigration (for a 2 hour layover!). It became a tight connection - with no warning from the airline that this was SOP. I can see how it could quickly go terribly wrong - we didn't have separate tickets and aeromexico sold us the flights on one PNR. We made it - with lots of stress. Same thing on the way back home.
That's like transit through the USA, the worst.

Sep 21, 2015
Whatever happened to transit lounges? Why on earth do can not airlines work with the various national security agencies to eliminate the bottlenecks from multiple security screenings.

(Fortunately Air China last year delayed my connecting flight 45 minutes as more than 100 passengers queued as two agents slowly examined documents, before two other checkpoints -- all for connecting passengers.)

Does anyone know? Is there any attempt at coordination? Is it national pride?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What KitKat outlines is SO TRUE about the airlines. It's like the people who sell you the tix or check you in at your home airport have no connection to what happens to you on your trip. You're left to deal with this stuff on your own. I guess that's one reason so many of us are loyal to one airline ... at least we understand how they run things and have a chance of getting the trip done right. It's maddening.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Whatever happened to transit lounges? Why on earth do can not airlines work with the various national security agencies to eliminate the bottlenecks from multiple security screenings.

(Fortunately Air China last year delayed my connecting flight 45 minutes as more than 100 passengers queued as two agents slowly examined documents, before two other checkpoints -- all for connecting passengers.)

Does anyone know? Is there any attempt at coordination? Is it national pride?
I would say more like national apathy, Dan. Nobody lifts a finger to help a customer unless it generates revenue. Airlines literally don't give a fig for their passengers. The front line people are regularly beat up by their management and their customers ... they cannot win. So they all just yawn and go on to the next crisis. Probably the only way they are able to stay sane and show up for work every day.

Jul 27, 2016
Part of it is logistics, particularly in the US. Since the US doesn't have exit checks for immigration, international flights board right next to domestic flights. If the US is going to have int'l-int'l transfers without going through immigration, then domestic and int'l departures would have to be entirely separated, which would require essentially rebuilding the airports. Since int'l-int'l connections are a small portion of US travel (unlike a place like Heathrow, or, in an extreme case, Dubai or Singapore), it's just not worth the massive cost and inconvenience.

Sep 7, 2016
Dear Mrs. Estrada:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

On behalf of Aeromexico I offer you a sincere apology for the delay in the response.

In this regard let me inform you that the Population Law requires us to direct our passengers with the immigration authorities, in order to verify the documents required to enter to any country, coupled with this I would like to tell you that instructions come from authorities, Aeromexico or any other airline can intervene in internal procedures they already have established.
According to reports received, I report that our employees have had discussions with the Department of Migration, in order to allow passengers the free movement within boarding gates Airport International Mexico City, after the migratory review and avoid situations like those described.
However, this do not justifies the attitude that describes having perceived by our Agent Passenger Service and the number of agents at the time were documented, so a copy of the letter was sent directly the corresponding area to reinforce the importance of our staff at all times offer a service of excellence that has characterized it for many years and has managed to position us as the global airline of Latin America.
I hope that this incident outside the airline, follow your preference and let us serve you in your future travel plans.
Sincerely,

Tanya Cabrera

Customer Care representative

[email protected]

ref:_00D301HUqw._50013vVEAg:ref

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Are you looking for advice and guidance to a problem you encountered with AeroMexico? If so, please explain your situation briefly, leaving out all non-critical information such as emotional state, etc.

Feb 9, 2016
I feel like there is a backstory we are missing here.

Did you open a discussion before? Which is it?
If not, could you please take a moment to explain your situation briefly, leaving out all non-critical information

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here is is:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/our-very-expensive-flight-to-guatemala.4015/#post-44726

Blanquita, this doesn't answer the issue you had, which was having to buy new tickets because of the errors made by the employees and your request - did you ask for a refund?

I think you need to escalate this to the first Executive on our contact list. If you asked for a refund of the difference in price between the tickets you had to buy vs the cost of the original, tell him/her you appreciate the letter but it doesn't not acknowledge the costs you had to lay out because of the mistake made at the airport. (Although I am not sure they will take the blame for the employees at the airport who gave you the wrong forms).

Escalate it to the next executive and tell him what you want them to do.