OTEL Ripped us Off!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

BGR

Apr 16, 2021
Last June 18, we booked a week at the Berjaya Resort on Tioman Island in Malaysia through the hotel booking company OTEL. Our holiday was booked for June 28 - July 5. The booking was "non-cancellable, non-refundable". After making our booking on June 18 through the Otel website, we learned the hotel has actually closed due to Covid - Ceased operations on June 15, 3 days before our booking. First off, Otel should never had taken the booking, as the hotel was closed. When we asked for a refund, they said that our reservation was "non-cancellable, non-refundable". I told them that we did NOT cancel - the hotel is closed. Otel refused to give us our money back. Eventually, they offered us a voucher for the same amount, good for one year. Unfortunately, due to Covid, Malaysia has not allowed interstate travel in Malaysia, so the voucher is effectively worthless. Not, Otel does not respond to my emails and their website is not responding. I am not even sure they are still in business. If at all possible, i would like our money back ($620 USD). Even if we could use the voucher, I do not trust Otel. I hope you can help out.

Thank you.

Regards,
Barry

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Last June 18, we booked a week at the Berjaya Resort on Tioman Island in Malaysia through the hotel booking company OTEL. Our holiday was booked for June 28 - July 5. The booking was "non-cancellable, non-refundable". After making our booking on June 18 through the Otel website, we learned the hotel has actually closed due to Covid - Ceased operations on June 15, 3 days before our booking. First off, Otel should never had taken the booking, as the hotel was closed. When we asked for a refund, they said that our reservation was "non-cancellable, non-refundable". I told them that we did NOT cancel - the hotel is closed. Otel refused to give us our money back. Eventually, they offered us a voucher for the same amount, good for one year. Unfortunately, due to Covid, Malaysia has not allowed interstate travel in Malaysia, so the voucher is effectively worthless. Not, Otel does not respond to my emails and their website is not responding. I am not even sure they are still in business. If at all possible, i would like our money back ($620 USD). Even if we could use the voucher, I do not trust Otel. I hope you can help out.

Thank you.

Regards,
Barry
OTEL.com appears to have ceased operation and is no longer in business. www.otel.com does not link to any page.
OTELcom was based in Turkey. The parent company http://metglobal.com/ is also offline. The company is based in Istanbul and is likely no longer operating.
There is no realistic avenue for you to pursue.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Contact your credit card company but it’s likely it’s too late for them to do anything.

They had a bad reputation with the BBB before all of this. We have other complaints about them.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
When will this be approved? just curious.
I suspect Never.
Did you have travel insurance. This would be a good case to get refunded by your insurance policy.
If you charged this there is a chance your credit card might have some kind of included policy. There is usually coverage for bankruptcy. I would think you would have a better chance recovering your money if you use that reason over a Covid complaint. Flat out you paid for a hotel and the hotel closed.

Reactions: VoR61

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I would add that these are the risks booking to save a few bucks with an OTA over booking direct with the hotel or airline. Some OTAs are just fine but some are as dodgy as it gets.

Aug 29, 2018
I would add that these are the risks booking to save a few bucks with an OTA over booking direct with the hotel or airline. Some OTAs are just fine but some are as dodgy as it gets.
I'd note it doesn't need to be an OTA, any business can go bankrupt (and I am surprised more travel companies have not gone bankrupt during COVID) as the recent thread about the Norwegian Air voucher indicates.