orbitz not honoring price guarantee on cruise reservation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 13, 2018
Hi

I made a cruise reservation via Orbitz.com and then got to know that a different site was offering a lower price. I submitted all information within the 24 hr window as regarding Price Guarantee but orbitz refuses to honor the price guarantee.

Which forum should I submit my files regarding finding a resolution.

Thanks,
Anand

Aug 13, 2018
I made my claim submission within 24 hrs. Their denial was based on this - screenshot does not have Gross Total listed. I had submitted a screenshot with the Cruise fare part which is what is covered in the Price Match guarantee

Jan 6, 2015
Click on Terms and Conditions on this web page:

www.orbitz.com/p/info-other/guarantees#

to see their conditions for Price Guarantees. For example:

"To qualify for the Price Guarantee on a cruise booking, you must have either paid in full or paid a non-refundable deposit on the booking. If you have made a non-refundable deposit, then any credit under the Price Guarantee will be applied toward the outstanding balance due for your booked cruise."

Aug 13, 2018
Yes - everything was paid in full.

The denial claim was based on the screenshot - support agent email claimed screenshot should include gross total - but the actual web submission page does not state so. The web submission guidelines for screenshot say "Image must contain name of travel company, travel dates, fare class, room type") - which is what I submitted.

Also, according to https://www.orbitz.com/p/info-other/guarantees - these are the wordings for the cruise price match claim "The Price Guarantee applies only to the cost of the cruise. Taxes and fees, and any additional items, such as air or land components, insurance, the Cruise Protection Plan, shipboard credits, transfers, pre- or post- cruise hotel stays, onboard amenities, gift cards/certificates, cash back and/or dollars off are not eligible. To qualify for the Price Guarantee on a cruise booking, you must have either paid in full or paid a non-refundable deposit on the booking. If you have made a non-refundable deposit, then any credit under the Price Guarantee will be applied toward the outstanding balance due for your booked cruise."

Jan 6, 2015
Before you continue emailing them, I suggest you review the link I posted. That may answer your question and save both time and frustration.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I hope that you are able to benefit from this best price guarantee. In my experience and observation, those kinds of guarantees are marketing tools. The procedures to qualify for the so-called guarantee are so onerous that nobody actually ever qualifies for that guarantee. I hope you prove me wrong!

Jan 6, 2015
Agreed jsn55. It reminds me the 1969 hit "Age of Aquarius". "When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planets".

As they say on their own web site ("apples to apples").

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I made my claim submission within 24 hrs. Their denial was based on this - screenshot does not have Gross Total listed. I had submitted a screenshot with the Cruise fare part which is what is covered in the Price Match guarantee
Not necessarily. The taxes affect the entire cost and they need to see everything. It also says you must have paid in full or have a nonrefundable deposit. Did you have all that as well?
Why didn’t you submit the entire price page that showed everything?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A total price difference of about 472 USD (just based on the cruise fare price between Orbitz and the other site)
Why didn’t you send the full screen shot?

Did you pay a nonrefundable deposit or pay in full for the cruise?

If you are having emails returned as undeliverable, go to our Company Cintacts Page and read the information after the contacts- there is a link to click on to fill out a form if the contact info is outdated. Report it so someone can research for you.

Aug 13, 2018
Before you continue emailing them, I suggest you review the link I posted. That may answer your question and save both time and frustration.
Thanks VoR61 - I completely reviewed all the terms and conditions on the Orbitz Price Guarantee page

From Orbitz Price Guarantee Checklist
[1] Are the travel dates the same? Is the site where you found the lower price in English? Is the lower price in U.S. dollars ?
[2] Are the cruise details the same (length of cruise, cruise line, cabin class, etc.)?

And then these conditions (pasted below) were satisfied from the Orbitz terms and conditions - Notified within 24 hrs, Exact itinerary match, Same room/cabin type in cruise, Comparison Rates available to general public (not a group rewards, not a promo, not a coupon), Rate in USD. Not just that, I sent them screenshots taken at 1hrs, 6hrs and 15hrs after my booking (the screenshots included the clock on my computer and timezone)
  1. Notifying Orbitz of a Claim. For Stand Alone Flights, Cruises or Car reservations, you must file a Price Guarantee application form within twenty-four (24) hours after your Orbitz.com booking; for flight+hotel at least 48 hours after booking, and for hotels, at least 2 days before your check-in date to make a claim under the Price Guarantee. The lower rate must be available for booking at the time you contact us, as determined by our customer service representatives.
  2. Must be "Apples to Apples" Comparison. The Price Guarantee is available only for exact itinerary matches. For example, the specific airline and cabin class (First, Business, Premium Economy or Coach/Economy), hotel (including room type), ship and cabin category, rental car company and vehicle class, applicable refund policy, and the exact same dates and times of travel or service as booked through Orbitz.com.
    For any stand-alone product booking (for example, a hotel room or an airline ticket), the comparison must be to the same product purchased stand-alone through another website (i.e., not part of a hotel + air travel package).
    The Price Guarantee is not available for bookings on websites where the carrier, property, rental car company, itinerary or similar booking details are unknown until after purchase. You must meet all requirements imposed on the lower price (if any), including, without limitation, residency, regional and age-related requirements.
  3. Comparison Rates Must Be Available to the General Public Online. The Price Guarantee applies only to prices both advertised and available to the general public on an English-language website.
    For example, this does not include rates offered on:
    • Membership program websites, corporate discounts or rates
    • Group, charter, rewards program, incentive, meeting, convention, consolidator or interline prices
    • Prices obtained via auction or similar process
    • Prices available only by using a coupon or other promotion not offered to the general public.
  4. The lower rate may not come from a website where you call to get the rate, or from an e-mail that you received. In addition, the rate must be quoted, booked, and paid for in US dollars.
  5. Important Note Regarding Cruises. The Price Guarantee applies only to the cost of the cruise. Taxes and fees, and any additional items, such as air or land components, insurance, the Cruise Protection Plan, shipboard credits, transfers, pre- or post- cruise hotel stays, onboard amenities, gift cards/certificates, cash back and/or dollars off are not eligible.
    To qualify for the Price Guarantee on a cruise booking, you must have either paid in full or paid a non-refundable deposit on the booking. If you have made a non-refundable deposit, then any credit under the Price Guarantee will be applied toward the outstanding balance due for your booked cruise.

Aug 13, 2018
Why didn’t you send the full screen shot?

Did you pay a nonrefundable deposit or pay in full for the cruise?

If you are having emails returned as undeliverable, go to our Company Cintacts Page and read the information after the contacts- there is a link to click on to fill out a form if the contact info is outdated. Report it so someone can research for you.
When I submitted the screenshot via their website, I submitted only what they wanted "they wanted dates of travel, number of people, stateroom type, etc". Their support representative got back to me via email after my 24hr window expired and stated that they will deny my claim as my screenshot did not include other details (gross total etc). I replied by email that I did not send those details as I was never asked. However, I did have that entire screenshot just as what they wanted and sent that in the email reply to Orbitz customer support.

I paid in full for the cruise.

As regards Holly Gillespie email, I do not know if "bounces back" is the right phrase - however, the moment you send a email, you will get an automated response that states "My last day with Expedia is January 25, 2019. For urgent matters, please reach out to Ramses Meijer. ". I have already used this form - http://elliott.org/add-a-company/ and mentioned the same info about Holly Gillespie there