Orbitz has an in-place blowoff policy for "customer service"

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2016
I'll use this thread reply, since here there is an obvious "reply to thread." The rental was prepaid (uploaded document). I objected vigorously at the time to extra bait-and-switch charges. They simply denied it, claiming that a Smartcar or (defective) Fiat 500 were equivalent to Hyundai Accent; it was obvious I had to deal with it by other means. Other than traveling 4000+ miles to file a small claims case in Honolulu, my only recourse is Orbitz, through which I was sucked into this dubious transaction.

Please confirm that you finally got the files.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I not sure how you can say you "got sucked into" the transaction. You clearly had a choice to book a pre-paid vs. pay at arrival rate. No one forced you into choosing the prepaid rate. In fact, we always advise our readers to never book a pre-paid rate. If your flights are cancelled or you get in late you lose all your money.

Same thing with booking the non refundable rates for a hotel. But your letter is too long and I have questions based on your letter. First, what car rental company was it?

You rent a car based on the category- subcompact, compact, midsize, etc. In that category it tells you how many people and pieces of luggage the car fits. What did the description say? (If you would tell us what company you used we can see it and read the description)

When you arrive, the car rental company will have the cars in that category in a line and you choose one. My wife has s Hyundai Accent and that is a small car with very little room. Are you saying there was only one car in that entire area for the class you chose?

You also say you had trouble with the cars pick up when driving. Why didn't you take it back to the car rental place?

You need to write to the car rental company, not Orbitz and I am pretty sure that is a question that the car rental is going to asK.

Again- is the rental company listed in our company contacts on top of the page? That's where you need to start writing.

Rewrite and shorten you letter to facts only in bullet form. Your letter should be no more than 1 page. From reading your letter I am not sure you have a legit claim other than saying you don't think the two cars are the same class. Forget about the pick up in the car- as a new owner of an Accent the pick up stinks on it. And if I were that bad, you should have brought it back.

In your letter if you can prove from their website description that you got a car that did not hold the same amount of people and luggage that an Accent did, your request should be the difference in price between the cost of the two.

Please write to the Customer Servuce address of the car rental company and let us know what they say. We can guide you to the next step after that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was your rental through Economy Car Rental? (I tried to recreate it on Orbitz)

If it was, the Hyundai Accent is the smallest car category they have, it's called a small car rental category.

Small 2/4 Door
Hyundai Accent or Similar.

Close

Therefore, the Fiat 500 is considered the same car class as your letter from the company indicates.

If Economy is the car rental company, please let us know and I will put in a request to get the email addresses for the executives there so you can start writing.

Aug 2, 2016
At the price of prepaying and without knowing the precise rental agency in advance, I had in the past on multiple occasions always obtained very good car rental rates with totally satisfactory results (always from industry class rental agencies), but also always from Hotwire; this was the first time, based on this past record of good experience, that I responded to a similarly offered car rental from Orbitz. I have learned two things: (1) I need to stop wasting even more time in this instance; I haven't found anything useful in this advice. (2) I need to learn from this experience about Orbitz and never use them again in similar circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.