Orbitz Foul Up

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 23, 2017
Hi. I apologize if this topic has been posted before, but I am brand new to this site. In short, my fiance and I bought a round trip ticket to Italy last November through Orbitz, with two different airlines. Unfortunately, they made a typing error in my fiance's middle name, and it has been a nightmare in dealing with Orbitz to remedy the situation. We logged over 18 hours of phone call time (mostly waiting, hearing excuses, being postponed, dismissed etc.) with no real resolution to the problem. The two different airlines, TAP Portugal and Turkish Air have different policies about changing tickets. Orbitz told us that we would have to purchase a second ticket for our trip to Rome with TAP Portugal at today's market value to correct the error. Turkish Air supposedly has a name waiver that can be used, but because the ticket was already issued, they said a name waiver would not work and that we just needed to arrive 3-4 hours early for our return trip home. They said not to worry with a name error of less than 3 letters. Purchasing a ticket in November from SF to Rome cost us $459.00 but the price in May is $1,646.40. Orbitz said they would refund the $459.00 but would not pay for the new ticket, did not offer to split the ticket or even give a voucher for a future trip as an apology. They accept zero responsibility, stating we waited too long. I reached as far as the top person at corporate but still have no resolution. Can anyone advise me here? I am beyond angry with this situation.

Jan 6, 2015
Sadly, there is no government requirement or even a guideline for a name correction. Reluctance by the airlines seems to stem from their policy against ticket transfers and the relationship of that to the name correction.

This also highlights the extreme importance of double-checking your name(s) before clicking through to purchase and once you receive your confirmation (for the 24-hour cancellation rule). The names on your reservation MUST match your license/passport.

It's up to each airline to set their own policy. Since you have already appealed to the highest corporate levels, your only choices are to take your chances with this discrepancy or pay extra for the changes. You are particularly at risk because you are traveling internationally.

I wish this were not so ...

In the future, we strongly encourage you to book directly with airlines, cruise lines, and hotels. Online travel agencies (OTAs) add a layer of complexity that becomes problematic when issues arise (to which you can now attest).
Hint: search "name correction policy" followed by the airline's name

Last edited:
May 23, 2017
Hi. I apologize if this topic has been posted before, but I am brand new to this site. In short, my fiance and I bought a round trip ticket to Italy last November through Orbitz, with two different airlines. Unfortunately, they made a typing error in my fiance's middle name, and it has been a nightmare in dealing with Orbitz to remedy the situation. We logged over 18 hours of phone call time (mostly waiting, hearing excuses, being postponed, dismissed etc.) with no real resolution to the problem. The two different airlines, TAP Portugal and Turkish Air have different policies about changing tickets. Orbitz told us that we would have to purchase a second ticket for our trip to Rome with TAP Portugal at today's market value to correct the error. Turkish Air supposedly has a name waiver that can be used, but because the ticket was already issued, they said a name waiver would not work and that we just needed to arrive 3-4 hours early for our return trip home. They said not to worry with a name error of less than 3 letters. Purchasing a ticket in November from SF to Rome cost us $459.00 but the price in May is $1,646.40. Orbitz said they would refund the $459.00 but would not pay for the new ticket, did not offer to split the ticket or even give a voucher for a future trip as an apology. They accept zero responsibility, stating we waited too long. I reached as far as the top person at corporate but still have no resolution. Can anyone advise me here? I am beyond angry with this situation.
Thank you for your response.

May 23, 2017
Sadly, there is no government requirement or even a guideline for a name correction. Reluctance by the airlines seems to stem from their policy against ticket transfers and the relationship of that to the name correction.

This also highlights the extreme importance of double-checking your name(s) before clicking through to purchase and once you receive your confirmation (for the 24-hour cancellation rule). The names on your reservation MUST match your license/passport.

It's up to each airline to set their own policy. Since you have already appealed to the highest corporate levels, your only choices are to take your chances with this discrepancy or pay extra for the changes. You are particularly at risk because you are traveling internationally.

I wish this were not so ...

In the future, we strongly encourage you to book directly with airlines, cruise lines, and hotels. Online travel agencies (OTAs) add a layer of complexity that becomes problematic when issues arise (to which you can now attest).
A tough lesson to learn and a bitter pill to swallow. We will not be using Orbitz again, and will book future flights directly with the airline. We had a different issue with Expedia last July and were unaware the companies were related.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
All of these Online Travel Booking Agencies are bad news for the consumer (Expedia, orbitz, Travelocity, etc) book direct. Use these search engines to give you an idea of routings and costs, for research on your trip.