Orbitz Air India Suck

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
I used Orbitz to book tickets for my international travel to India via Air India in May 2016 for travel on December 21-2016. The flight schedule of my flight was changed a few weeks before my departure date. It was scheduled to 3 hours earlier than I had on my ticket when I purchased it in May.

Apparently Orbitz sent an e-mail that went to my junk folder (No phone calls) and Orbitz provided a wrong phone number to airlines and the airline was not successful in contacting us. Long story short I missed my flight and there were at leat 4 others who missed the flight. We as a group were told that we would be accomodated on different flight. Others were accomodated promptly to a partner airline flight, I was told that Orbitz did not tax me correctly for the international routes and Air India declined to accomodate me saying that I ould have to take this up with orbitz directly. After five hours on phone with Orbitz and 7 hours at airport I was told that there is nothing that Orbitz will do.

I live in DC/Baltimore area and the flight was from EWR not to mention the tremendous stress to travel 3.5 hours wach way to the airport and then 7 hours at the airport with a four year old out of which 5 hours on phone with orbitz. There was no refund or flight tickets for a future date or anything. Basically $4,000 for two tickets down the drain.

I would like to kno what are my options in such a scenario?

Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
These are the type of thin gs that happen and why we recommend booking directly with the airlines. Because you bought through Orbitz, you have to deal with Orbitz.

Here are our company contacts for them:

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/orbitz/

Start at Customer Service and write a letter explaining what happened and what you want (a refund). Give them a week to reply. If they don't, or the answer is no, write to the first executive listed. Give him or her a week to reply - if necessary repeat weekly with each executive until you get to the top. Let us know what happens and good luck.

Feb 9, 2016
I was told that Orbitz did not tax me correctly for the international routes and Air India declined to accommodate me saying that I would have to take this up with orbitz directly. .
Forget the scheduling issue. You would have been accommodated on a different flight IF Orbits would have handled your booking correctly.

Even if you had shown up at the airport on time, well aware that your flight had been changed, you may very well have been denied because of the payment issue.

In my opinion this is enough information to say to Orbitz, YOU screwed up and I wasn't able to fly. give me my money back. That is what I would be saying in the letter, in a very nice way. You present the scheduling snafu as

"oh well, mishaps happen. I wasn't worried, and the airline said they would accommodate me on a different flight, so I figured I would just wait patiently :) But then Air India they discovered that ORBITZ had mishandled my booking. that ORBITZ didn't collect the appropriate taxes and fees. This is the reason they refused my passage. You made a mistake that cause me to miss my flights entirely, please refund all of my money"

that's what I would say, and I would continue to push it.

Do you have any supporting documentation?

"oh well, mishaps happen. I wasn't worried, and the airline said they would accommodate me on a different flight, so I figured I would just wait patiently :) But then Air India they discovered that ORBITZ had mishandled my booking. that ORBITZ didn't collect the appropriate taxes and fees. This is the reason they refused my passage. You made a mistake that cause me to miss my flights entirely, please refund all of my money"
Thanks for your reply. Yes you summed it up perfectly. First Air India was looking to book me on a flight until they figured this out. Air India said they can't put me on a pertner flight knowing well that the tax on this ticket is missing. Then not only the taxes but the fare codes used by Orbitz was a problem. neither Air India nor Orbitz was in a position to tell what the exact price of the segment was. So even though I wanted to know how much out off pocket I'd have to shell to be on a flight, nobody could give me that anser. The ticketing was a total mess by Orbitz.

"Do you have any supporting documentation?"
I do not have any supporting documents because all this unravlled at the airport in person and I had Manager at Air India speak to a Manager at Orbitz to explain what was going on. After understanding the issue (4 hours later on phone) the Customer service Manager at Orbitz determined it was a "No Show" from my side and refused to be of any help.

Feb 9, 2016
I do not have any supporting documents because all this unravlled at the airport in person and I had Manager at Air India speak to a Manager at Orbitz to explain what was going on. After understanding the issue (4 hours later on phone) the Customer service Manager at Orbitz determined it was a "No Show" from my side and refused to be of any help.
of course they decided you were a now show, that's the cheapest option for them. Unfortunately this is not the case.
Now you are going to start writing letters citing the tax issue and asking for a refund.

Did you EVER find the spam email? Did you look for it? If you cant find it then I wold stand firm on "I never got it" ESPECIALLY if you received a confirmation email from Orbitz that detailed your itinerary right after you booked.

You are at least the 3rd person on these forums complaining about how the schedule changed and Orbitz says they sent an email but 'it must' have landed in your spam folder' and their flights got missed/messed up. Serach the forums for Orbitz and do some reading to get some documentation there. I would want to see that email WITH HEADERS and make them prove this. I think it's all a croc.

Did you EVER find the spam email? Did you look for it? If you cant find it then I wold stand firm on "I never got it" ESPECIALLY if you received a confirmation email from Orbitz that detailed your itinerary right after you booked.
I did look for that e-mail after missing my flight and after being told that there as an e-mail sent. Orbitz however did not send over the right phone number to Air lines. Number had one extra digit in the begining so Airlines did try to reach us but could not get thru.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
This advice is a day late and a dollar short but for future flights, please check your reservations frequently, even once a day a week before departure. While this definitely is a screw up on Orbitz's part, you are the one paying the ultimate price by forfeiting your trip. And that really stinks! If you had checked on your reservation, at a minimum, the day before, your trip may have been salvageable.

Good luck with your quest for refund, I hope you can get close to whole on this.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
OAIS (love this), you experienced what every traveller dreads, many times over. Caught between a rock and a hard place as your airplane disappears into the sunset. A terrible experience. I just want to add to the excellent advice already given - be polite and sweet beyond words when you compose your letter. The person reading your letter at Orbitz did not cause your problem and is in a position to help you ... so be really, really nice!

This advice is a day late and a dollar short but for future flights, please check your reservations frequently, even once a day a week before departure. While this definitely is a screw up on Orbitz's part, you are the one paying the ultimate price by forfeiting your trip. And that really stinks! If you had checked on your reservation, at a minimum, the day before, your trip may have been salvageable.

Good luck with your quest for refund, I hope you can get close to whole on this.
Agree Lesson Learnt although the hard way.

OAIS (love this), you experienced what every traveller dreads, many times over. Caught between a rock and a hard place as your airplane disappears into the sunset. A terrible experience. I just want to add to the excellent advice already given - be polite and sweet beyond words when you compose your letter. The person reading your letter at Orbitz did not cause your problem and is in a position to help you ... so be really, really nice!
Thank you will do that.