Options after Equipment change

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 10, 2019
This is going to sound petty. My wife and I are flying from LAX to BOS on an American redeye flight. Because of the time we booked business class lie-flat seats. Initially the aircraft was an Airbus 321t. This changed to a standard 321 with no lie-flat seats. We specifically booked (and paid for) these seats so we could sleep comfortably. What are our options?

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
The relevant AA policy is here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html

wherein it states:

4. CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS​
(C) SCHEDULE CHANGE IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:​
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR . . .​
THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION.HOWEVER, THE PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.​

So it seems clear to me that you should be able to reroute or obtain a full refund.

May 30, 2019
+1 on all previous posts, but would add:
  • AA is still bouncing around their schedules & equipment due to 737 MAX jets being offline.
  • If you get AA to refund your flight (which they should) you may have to purchase an all-new itinerary. If you also have BOS-LAX on AA, for example, you'll have to word your request carefully lest you end up paying current fares for the other segment.
  • If AA has the equipment you desire on the day of your flight at a different time, (i.e. 9:40 pm rather than 11:10 pm or vice-versa) consider requesting to change to that flight at no charge.
  • If your flight is in 1Q-2020, be aware that it could change again due to the 737 MAX issue.